PDA

View Full Version : should i have to pay?

dave p
09-18-2002, 05:55
had 5th gear lock out switch installed yesterday. the dealer charged me $258.00 dollars. the truck is still under warranty, 23,000 miles and its a 2001. i would think G.M. should help me out? any comments would be appreciated. dave p :cool:

[ 09-18-2002: Message edited by: dave p ]</p>

Paintdude
09-18-2002, 07:10
Warrenty means they pay not you..I would stop payment on the check..

KenZ
09-18-2002, 07:12
Dave,

You shouldn't have to pay for anything, unless maybe you did something to break it. I talked to my dealership and he said everything was covered bumper to bumper for 36K. Even light bulbs. weatherstripping and other minor items.

I would be complaining! And shame on your dealership for not going to bat for you. You shouldn't have to go to GM. Maybe they are charging you and planning to make a warranty claim too. Who knows these days.

Good luck.

Ken

hoot
09-18-2002, 07:16
I don't believe the fifth gear lockout switch falls under warranty. I think the ability to lock out 5th was added to satisfy the most audible customers and people that always run into gear hunt with their particular situation that the ECM reflash does little for.

$258 is a lot of money to put a Radio Shack switch in to one pin in the computer. You can get an entire alarm/remote start installed for that price.

Kennedy
09-18-2002, 07:32
What Hoot said.

Sorry, but this would be an accessory/option. Now SOME dealers may know how to work this in, but this would certainly need to be covered BEFORE the fact...

$258 is highway robbery. I did not mount my switch yet, but I ran the wires and added a weatherpak disconnect in about 1/2hr-45 minutes. $100-120 would be semi honest if it were to take them 2 hrs to locate bulletin/parts etc. Still a slight stretch depending on quality of the work.

I would NOT stop payment on the check :rolleyes: as that will only make matters worse...

[ 09-18-2002: Message edited by: kennedy ]</p>

dcpdave
09-18-2002, 17:36
hoot and kennedy are correct.
the 5th gear lock out is an "add-on" kit that some customers may choose to install. because it is an add on, it is at the customers expense just as any add-on is. the price is a bit steep, i would have thought that the dealer would have told you in advance what the cost would be, so you could decide to let them do it, or do it yourself.

hope this helps,

Paintdude
09-18-2002, 17:53
If it isn`t an OEM product then of course it isn`t covered by GM warrenty..

But,robbery is robbery......... :mad:

mackin
09-18-2002, 18:04
Not to be a spoiler but wouldn't one have to complain of "GEAR HUNTING" in order to get this performed under warranty?????
If I were to just walk in and say GIVE ME ONE OF THESE, without an issue, I would expect to pay, when they were done....NO?....Someone here reported they paid $160 bucks or so on a earlier thread......I'd pay that if I were to get the 03 gear selector lever and GM switches......Just a different perspective.....You didn't mention why you got it done......
If you did mention "GEAR HUNTING" then absolutely you should have not paid as this is the TSB for the fix......

MAC

[ 09-18-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

FirstDiesel
09-18-2002, 18:15
Mackin

Sorry but I disagree with your assesment. This isn't a fix. It's a product enhancement. It's like saying you have a 2002 with tow mirrors and like the 2003 better because they do things the 2002 mirrors don't do. You could get them if they fit but you would have to expect to pay for them.

Kennedy
09-18-2002, 18:30
Then again, a good dealer, having sold you the truck COULD have done it N/C or extra cheap as a goodwill gesture. A lot depends on the dealer and your working relationship...

hoot
09-18-2002, 20:43
mackin,

Does the 03 come with the lockout switch? Is it on the gear selector?

Wesley Briggman
09-18-2002, 21:05
I'm the one who paid the dealer $160.00 to install the lock-out switch. I had complained about the shift-busy condition some months before this fix was offered and I also made the comment on the survey I received after I bought the truck that I thought Ford had a good idea with their OD lock-out on the transmission.

While I the price was a little high ($258 is way out of line), I do not consider this to be a warranty issue. It would have been nice if it was offered as a retro-fit at no cost, but the dealer did not offer it.

I could have done the installation myself at considerable savings, but what if I had problems in the future and the dealer took the position that I caused the problem and refused to fix it under warranty? I'd rather pay the $160 and not concern myself with any problems later.

The flash update is a big improvement in reducing the shift-busy condition. I can accelerate in 5th under load and not go into 4th until it is needed. With the software update and the lock-out switch, I really enjoyed our recent 250 trip into the High Sierras last weekend. While descending the mountains, I could choose to switch into 4th without braking at all. Worked great.

Is this a GREAT truck or what?

Love my truck.

[ 09-18-2002: Message edited by: Wesley Briggman ]</p>

mackin
09-19-2002, 05:58
hoot ,

Sure does from what I've seen......On the thread,There's a pic......This is the route I would go if it can be done?????
=&gt;http://forum.62-65-dieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=7&t=003893

Mac

Paintdude,

I'm still thinking that it should be done under warranty as the way I understand it, it is a resolve to the problem, if the reflash doesn't solve shift business...That's the approach I would take...If not why is it STANDARD on 03'S with the Allison it's not a seperate option,you can't de-select the od lock out?GM is aware of the issue..... So if I were to complain that if my truck is HUNTING and I'm getting a temp problem, along with ease of drivability (holding mph), and a 36k warranty is the only factory gimmie on my Allison, I would suggest the should correct the problem for free....I'm not saying a nation wide recall but a case by case situation....As JK suggest a "friendly" dealer would be helpful.....I'm merely pointing out in theory as I know this will vary dealer to dealer,as every thing seems to.....When I eventually bring my truck in before the 36k expires I will bring it up and see how far I get.....But I want the factory switches and lever, if possible....

MAC

[ 09-19-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

CntrlCalDmax
09-19-2002, 06:14
Mackin,

From what I have read, the 03 OD Lockout is controlled by how many times you press the T/H button. I don't think it is a different switch/lever. I don't know for sure, but it sounds like a TCM program change that accepts multiple inputs from the T/H button.

hoot
09-19-2002, 07:16
"From what I have read, the 03 OD Lockout is controlled by how many times you press the T/H button. I don't think it is a different switch/lever. I don't know for sure, but it sounds like a TCM program change that accepts multiple inputs from the T/H button."

Wonder if there's a way to wire my truck so my T/H button does the same thing?

Wesley,

What does your switch look like?

Thanks guys..

mackin
09-19-2002, 09:12
I knew it was one switch, but I guess I was referring to location and function as I didn't want push buttons else where if not necessary.....Unless it was put up on gauge pillar as I would only use as a lock out for other then towing.......Sorry if I was miss leading.....

It will be nice to see what advances come out in the aftermarket for the Allison to hold 5TH in the near future......

MAC