PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Front Rotors on 3500 4x4 How difficult?

cowboywildbill
12-29-2005, 16:56
I have a lot of shudder and pulse when I apply the brakes on our 02 c/c 4x4 3500 GMC. I replaced the pads about six months ago and now I am starting to get the pulse when I appy the brakes. I guess it is warped rotors. I don't beleive in turning them, it seems they just warp again only quicker.I have checked all of the front end components ( tie rods idler arm pitman arm ) and all are tight. I haven't done the rotors on one of these yet and wonder how hard it is? I did the front on our 97 Dodge 4x4 and they were as pain. I was hoping that the rotors come off the hubs, or do I have to knock out the studs and split the hub and rotor and undo the abs cable like the one's on the Dodge's. I appreciate any input. I can get the rotors from a friend for about $100 for the pair. I used to spin wrenches for a living a long time ago, but it never hurts to get advice from you techs out there. This forum has saved me a lot of trial and error and I can't say how much I appreciate all of your help. Thanks

xwing
12-31-2005, 09:51
I couldn't loosen the brake caliper bolts with an Ingersoll Rand 2131 1/2" impact wrench with 120psi airsupply (got one, others no go).

I had to take the truck to a local guy who had to do some torch heating to break the bolts loose. If you have oxyacetylene torch, 150+psi air, and 1/2" impact go for it. MAPP gas torch you could try I guess smile.gif

I just hated to get into the project then stumped, when replacing my weirdly rotted out/rusted front rotors...put Brembo replacements on with EBC truck pads and so far so good a year+ later.
2001 GMC 2500HD D/A

cowboywildbill
12-31-2005, 10:13
Thanks for the reply, I have all of the tools and Oxy Acel rig. I understand that I have to take the hub nut off and drive the studs out and then reassemble. Take care and Have a Happy New Year!

c5dura
01-06-2006, 08:33
Did you have any luck Bill?

I have a 3/4" impact, so hopefully that will do the trick for me next week, although I have come across some things that it wouldn't do (tractor implement stuff).

Btw, I had my front rotors turned twice under warranty for the same vibration issue you mentioned. After the 2nd time, they have held up ok.

cowboywildbill
01-30-2006, 12:25
Sorry that I didn't reply quicker. I have been working non stop for a month. I haven't been able to get around to it yet, but hopefully soon. I'll let you know how it goes. "Now if I can only get a day off! "Ha Ha"

c5dura
01-31-2006, 16:35
I actually got around to doing mine this weekend. It went a LOT easier that I thought it would. Check out my thread on the subject that I just updated.