PDA

View Full Version : Extended Warranty Information Sought

gardnerteam
09-19-2002, 18:09
OK - I know this subject has been down the road before, but I couldn't find it in D/P search. With 25,000+ on my truck in 10 months, it is time to consider extended warranty, if only for the Allison.(Truck still hasn't had any warranty work done or upgrades - first time I've had a new truck that I didn't share possession with the dealer) Has anybody had any experience with a company called "HiLine & Import Auto Warranty" which comes up on a web search. What makes them different is that they have a 150,000 mile program - 7 yrs- which no one else seems to have. Also looking for good words on any other program. At the rate I'm going, 3 to 4 years will be at 100K with about 60,000 of that rough Mexico & Guatemala miles. Thanks in advance for the info.

GMC-2002-Dmax
09-19-2002, 18:36
I have not yet decided on a warranty for my '02, but I do have an extended warranty on my 1997 Passat Wagon. VW warrantied the drive train for 10yrs/100k miles but only 2yrs/24k on the rest.

I bought an extended warranty for 7yrs/100k bumper to bumper from AAA motor club ( I am a member). I can go anywhere, they pay directly to the shop or dealer with a credit card number that day. They pay flat rate book time plus parts and to date used it twice. Once for a wheel bearing that was making noise and last year for an alternator. They were ecxellent both times.

I do not know who warranties it for AAA, if you call a local AAA office maybe they can advise you.

GMC ;)

P.S. if it looks like a good deal email me directly, don't want the MODS mad by posting a non advertiser on the thread.

ThePend
09-19-2002, 19:53
As with any extended warranty, you should check out the company. I found this on an Audi website I use to visit. As far as I know they seem to be a good company. I may get one of their extended warranties later next year.

http://www.1sourceautowarranty.com/Vehicle.asp

JEBar
09-19-2002, 19:59
have been looking into GM's extended warranty for my '02 3500 D/A .... priced by our dealer at $2700 ... interesting to note that my daughter just put the same 100,000 mile warranty on her '01 Tahoe and they charged her the same price .... when you consider the D'max comes with a 100,000 warranty, I can't help but wonder why the prices are the same :confused: Jim

pepperidge
09-19-2002, 20:02
Since you asked

w a r r a n t y g o l d . c o m
(remove the spaces)

7 yrs. from the day you buy the extended warranty for up to 100,000 miles. $0 deductible bumber to bumper diamond plan $1600 it could be more or less depending on the current miles on your vehicle.

Good Luck, smile.gif

[ 09-21-2002: Message edited by: pepperidge ]</p>

NutNbutGMC
09-19-2002, 20:03
GM Extended Warranty.... 100k, / 5 year, 200 deductable. $1791. I went directly through GM's toll number.
2k2 model, 8 months old, 42.5k. I'll never see the 5 year option.... :D

dcpdave
09-19-2002, 21:44
a word of caution on independent company extended warranties.
i deal with them alot, yes, most do pay the dealer by credit card over the phone. they didn't used to, but dealers quit "billing" them because they wouldn't get paid for a LONG time, if they got paid at all. i would say that about 60% of the time i wind up fighting them to get things paid for the customer, eg: diagnostic times, fluids, rentals, etc. i have yet to see an indepedent pay for consequential damage, if your alternator seizes and destroys the belt, they will pay for the alt. but not for the belt, " it's a maintenance item". they will pay for a frozen-stuck brake caliper, but will not pay for the damaged brake pads as a result of the caliper, " maintenance item", and so on. the customer winds up paying for those " maintenance" items, even tho a covered component caused the failure. if the vehicle has a lot of miles on it, they will try to get you to put a used part on it(not kidding), sometimes they will want an aftermarket part, anything to save them money. please be careful and make sure you understand what is and what is not covered.
the gmpp extended warranty (general motors) will cost more, but it is a better warranty, no hassles, consequential damage IS covered, honored at any gm dealer, coverage is verified in minutes, NO used or aftermarket parts. the plans have several time/mileage options, and levels of coverage. please talk to your local dealer for more details.

hope this helps,

MikeT
09-23-2002, 17:05
WarrantyGold is the top rated after market extended warranty provider. You can get a zero deductible, 5 year from contract date, 150K mile diamond plan for less than $2000 if you obtain the contract prior to the expiration of your original mfg warranty. You must wait 30 days and 1000 miles before making a claim. Non covered parts are NOT covered even if the damage is consequential to the failure of a covered part. You can download a MS Word copy of the contract from their web site.

http://www.warrantygold.com

SoCalDMAX
09-23-2002, 17:43
I had done some research on ext. warrs. and found all of the above to be true. Some had very clear definitions of what was not covered, everything else was. One company (a big player) even covered normal wear and tear on components. Some of these companies don't consider malfunctioning items (like senders, etc) to be failed items. So they claim to cover a lot of items, but their definition of failed is very limited.

I found more info than I wanted from Yahoo and Google searches.

Regards, Steve

hoot
09-23-2002, 18:17
Warrantybynet sells American Guardian Warranty Services ext warranties.

$1639

7/100,000

Rental $35 day
Towing $50
Battery Service, Flat Tire Assistance, Fuel, Oil and Water Delivery Service, Lock Assistance, Road Hazard/Tire Coverage

Travel expense of up to $100 a day for up to 5 days for restaurant and lodging.

Transferable $50

No deductable

Cash value or $20,000 limit whichever is less.

Yes the list of non covered items is long but the major mechanical stuff is fully covered.

Big stuff not covered is brakes, rotors, clutches/pressure plates, throwout bearings, cat, a/c recharge.

It does allow "Service adjustments, reprogramming and cleaning when necessary for a covered repair".

"Replacement parts will be of like kind and quality and may include new, reman, rebuilt or used based on Administrators option and availability"

I questioned that one. They said they are one of the biggest warranty companies with one of the best reputations for service in the industry.
:rolleyes:

I'd like to see them find a used Allison ;)

Anyway, that's my spew. Just hit 36,000 so who knows. We'll see if I ever need it how good it is.

Claim payments are made by credit card.

gardnerteam
09-24-2002, 12:39
Thanks for all the great input. I get my member invested dollars worth on this site almost every day. RESULTS - Warranty Gold has the most complete warranty including wear and tear on their Diamond program for 5 years, 150,000 miles. Covers everything except listed items, and only 7 of those listed items apply to a K2500HD D/A and they are routine items I do anyway. Quoted a price of $1885, which is cheap. So, does anyone have any experience with Warranty Gold as to having a claim? Again, thanks in advance.

hoot
09-24-2002, 18:33
I like the 150,000 miles. Probably worth the extra $$

JEBar
09-26-2002, 03:54
gardnerteam...."RESULTS - Warranty Gold has the most complete warranty including wear and tear on their Diamond program for 5 years, 150,000 miles. Covers everything except listed items, and only 7 of those listed items apply to a K2500HD D/A and they are routine items I do anyway. Quoted a price of $1885, which is cheap. So, does anyone have any experience with Warranty Gold as to having a claim? Again, thanks in advance." ===&gt; The information they provide is impressive (to say the least) but we'd sure like to hear from someone who has used this product. By the way, the 5 year/150,000 mile quote for my 3500 was $2279...kind of wonder what the difference is. Jim :confused:

GMC-2002-Dmax
09-26-2002, 17:54
My Quotes from warranty gold,

NEW PLATINUM

5 Years 75000 Miles $1179
5 Years 100000 Miles $1329
5 Years 150000 Miles $1779
6 Years 60000 Miles $1029
6 Years 72000 Miles $1229
6 Years 100000 Miles $1379
7 Years 70000 Miles $1279
7 Years 100000 Miles $1429

Warranty Gold's Largest Cash Discount *************
Everyone likes a great sale and you're going to love this one.
For 5 short days, the 1st 500 customers will save $500 in CASH with
Warranty Gold's Largest CASH Discount. Plus, get No Down Payment, No
Interest and No Payments until Nov. 2002!
****************** 500 Customers Only!!! ****************

I think this is too good to pass up, I have till tomorrow,

GMC :D

SledZep
09-29-2002, 07:14
NutnButGMC, You said..

GM Extended Warranty.... 100k, / 5 year, 200 deductable. $1791. I went directly through GM's toll number.
2k2 model, 8 months old, 42.5k. I'll never see the 5 year option...

What is that # I will be purchasing an extended warranty soon and will only go with GM no matter the cost. and your cost looks good! :D :D

Thanks

Budman
09-29-2002, 09:01
SledZep and others:

For those of you that want a genuine GMPP extended warranty, please email Ken Fichtner at Fichtner Chevrolet kenfichtner@hotmail.com . He can email you the details and pricing.

I have purchased 3 plans from him. Great service and great prices. My local dealer could not (or would not) match his prices (even if they would have, I would have still purchased from Ken).

I am not affilated with Ken, just a very satisfied customer. (Found him over at http://corvetteforum.com/ )

SledZep
09-29-2002, 15:13
Thanks Budman. the electrons are currently flowing towards ken as we speak...

SledZep

MaxACL
09-29-2002, 19:45
gardnerteam ... I'll go with ya. It'll get me ready for my Russian trek. What do you do for those months?

Mike

MountainMax
09-30-2002, 07:03
Thanks Guys. I've been saving money to Get the "Juice" for my D/A truck. I've been getting anxious because I have 34k+ miles on it now. So far no problems. But as we all know from the posts on these forums; these do go wrong. Well after I read this post I contacted WarrantyGold. I'm a sceptic and a hard sell. I'm now 1800 poorer. But I got 150k protection or 5 years bumper to bumper. From my experience with my last trucks, I should be able to recoup this and more. The main thing is the peace of mind. I like the fact that I can take it to any ASE mechanic I want anywhere. I'm taking donations for the "Juice " fund. It was an easy choice.

What do I "want" and what do I "need"?

gardnerteam
09-30-2002, 10:27
JEBAR - $2279 was the basic on mine, and by calling them, I got it to $1885 with no deduct. If you did not call in, you did not get the deepest deal. 1-800-580-9889 X4716 Tony or Steve Rossi. A lot depends on 2wd or 4wd, 100 deduct or 0 deduct, and possibly mileage.

Anyway, thanks to everybody who posted info on this thread. It has helped. For 50,000 miles more, I would prefer the Warranty Gold which is about the same as the lowest GM 100,000 mile deal and 1/2 the normal GM deal. Also allows you to take the vehicle to any ASE shop and not just the GM dealer, which aren't always the best solutions. The 5 year period also starts the day you buy the extended warranty rather than the day the vehicle was sold. Only question left is, has anybody actually had a claim against Warranty Gold and are they as good as they appear? Things are never as good as they appear, are they? You're ex-wife for example!

ZR1Hauler
09-30-2002, 13:16
i have a warranty gold policy on my 95 zr-1

they have replaced wheel bearings, the claim was painless

i'd reccomend them

zrone
09-30-2002, 14:14
Thanks Guys, You did the research I called warranty gold. Best price I could get for the 150k miles was 1949 with no deduct. Maybe it's my two extra wheels. Well I went for it and I do feel better knowing I have coverage over my warranty.

JEBar
09-30-2002, 17:50
do appreciate all the above info ... ended up with 5 year/150,000 $0.00 deductable warranty gold coverage for $1970.00 ... they financed for a year with no interest and threw in tire flat/blow out coverage .... Jim

Jim Rokon
09-30-2002, 18:21
As with any warranty, the devil is in the details. Be aware that many policies allow the insurance company to replace bad parts with "like or similar condition parts, including used parts". I had one extended warranty company give me a used steering rack with unknown mileage to replace a very tight low mileage one on my car, but it had dry rotted and leaking seals. They refused to pay to replace the seals which would have left me with my tight low mileage rack, and I now ready the contracts much more carefully. You don't want to get a steering rack with 120k miles on it when your vehicle had 25k.

zrone
09-30-2002, 18:31
I just finished reading the brochure for GM major guard and it states they could use new, remanufactured, or used parts.

hoot
09-30-2002, 19:37
I wonder if the GM warranty is simply a contracted company. Same as one of the others mentioned here?