PDA

View Full Version : Adding a little beef to the Allison

MikeC
01-01-2006, 20:22
Hi all,

Wanting to add just a little beef to the Allison. Just want to help prevent limp mode or defueling while towing my camper.

Is there a decent upgrade out there that does not involve dropping the tranny?

Thanks,
Mike

Heartbeat Hauler
01-01-2006, 21:46
Originally posted by MikeC:

Is there a decent upgrade out there that does not involve dropping the tranny?

Thanks,
Mike Well there may be a tuner that can increase line pressure a bit, but to answer your question, I don't believe there is. A triple lock converter will go a long way in keeping your trans alive, but the trans has to come out. And, while you have the trans out, you might as well add the shift kit. No more worries unless of course you go crazy with a high end tuner. Check out ATS or Suncoast products.
JP

DmaxMaverick
01-02-2006, 07:57
Yep. A T/C is a must. Not necessarily a triplelock, either. Suncoast has a high capacity single disc for much less $$, and it boasts 60% greater friction area, with accordingly increased power holding ability. If you're not going crazy with power, it would be ideal. If you cross the 375~400 HP mark, then triplelock is the way to go.

ANY worthwhile tranny upgrade will require at least a R/R. Even the ATS Copilot is "some disassembly required".

Defueling, in your case, appears to be a good thing. If you're already limping, it may save what's left. Disable it, and you'll be inside the tranny long before you're ready for it. I suspect your current programming level isn't managing your torque very well, for a stock tranny.

If funding is the concern....How fast do you want to spend?

Kennedy
01-02-2006, 20:04
It becomes a situation where for just a few dolars more, you can add some real beef to it. The Suncoast Level 3 kit would be my suggestion as a minimum. You have to go inside anyhow, so laying in a few clutches/improved components just makes sense.

There is not a good cheap way to do the Allison IMHO.

MikeC
01-02-2006, 20:11
Thanks for the replies so far.

Haven't had any issues yet but looking to hit a couple of long vacations this summer.

Just want to make the thing hold better since I have added the Juice with Attitude. I don't plan on romping on it or racing it, just wanting to tow the camper and not have issues.

Mike

Kennedy
01-03-2006, 07:05
Keep the Edge on level 3 max. If you add a boost stick, then level 2 is max. You might be able to run one level higher when not towing.

fanzdslpwr
01-05-2006, 17:11
transgo does have a corrective shift kit for the allison,or you can go with the banks trans command.

mark45678
01-15-2006, 11:27
Contributor
Member # 59

posted 01-03-2006 06:05 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Keep the Edge on level 3 max. If you add a boost stick, then level 2 is max. You might be able to run one level higher when not towing

Set your EGT limit to 1380 ~1400* and your boost alarm to 32 psi. On level 2 you will NOT hurt your trans with your foot flat on the floor on long up hill pulls. Its poss with a 100% stock lly to run over 1350* EGT , I have never seen mine go over 1380. Juice starts defuels about 30* colder then the set point is set at.

Kennedy
01-15-2006, 18:25
Originally posted by fanzdslpwr:
transgo does have a corrective shift kit for the allison,or you can go with the banks trans command. The Transgo requires transmission removal and disassembly to install and still can't get you past the key weak points of the torque conveter clutch or the 5th gear clutches...

Inspector
01-26-2006, 19:43
Mike:
I don't know how big your camper is but I have a fiver that wieghs in at around 12500 at the curb and when it is road loaded at about 14000. I run juice with attitude in level 2 tow haul anytime that the camper is hooked up. I have never had any indication of limp with my rig and I do put it down the road. Here in Utah down I15 we have some pretty good long grades. I can usually pass on the grades if I want. If you are not going nuts while towing I wouldn't worry about hurting the allison. Keep it serviced properly and have a good time with the truck.
Denny :D :D :D :D