PDA

View Full Version : Good by 6.5

Black95TD
07-27-2005, 12:09
After 10 years of really very good service, I finally sold the old girl. I bought it new and treated it well. Changed all the fluids and filters on a regular basis, used good fuel and warmed it up slowly. My daughters diesel mechanic friend begged me to sell it to him which I did for $6500 - way less than I could have gotten. Aside from several IPs and OPS units, it has been very good. It still runs like new and looks great too. (117K) Since 1997, have used Stanadyne's Lubricity Formula just in case. As far as I can tell, it has another 100 K in it with decent care. I just did not want to spend time on maintenance issues so sprung for a new DMax. Wtih the pricing, rebate and additional discount from dealer for taking one from the lot, a $40K truck became $30K - a 25% discount.

Complaints about the new truck (with 500 mi)- the stock shocks stink. Not enough rebound control so now I need to go install 4 Bilstein HD's like I had on the old truck. Yes they are stiff, but a least you only feel a bump once instead of bouncing up and down. The old truck had great seats with power lumbar support - I have to use a pillow behind my lower back in the new truck. No storage net behind seats and no storage cubby behind drivers seat - no place to put the enormous pile of stuff that came out of the old truck.

Awsome power and better fuel milage - hard to beat that combo!

I'll be helping my young friend keep the 6.5 going so will check in regularly.

Thanks for the help over the years. It saved my butt on numerous occasions and I finally felt I could keep it running.

KEEP THOSE 6.5'S RUNNING!

markrinker
07-27-2005, 12:38
Well GM's program sure is converting alot of us 6.5 guys to Duramax owners. I picked one up today as well.

Sounds like you got one of the 'good blocks' regardless of where and when it was cast. Did you ever drop the pan to inspect the mains?

What model and options did you buy for 30K?

Kennedy
07-27-2005, 13:42
Same here on the lumbar. I HAVE the power lumbar, but it is mechanical and the whole seat in general is hard. My 2002 has the air lumbar and is much better. Elaine liked the 96 seats best...

Plenty of Bilstiens on the shelf, and the later trucks respond VERY well to them without a hint of harsh.