PDA

View Full Version : 285's vs 265's

SF Jakey
01-04-2006, 21:53
I've run 285's since the truck was new and could barely squeak out 15.5 mpg no matter what I did. Well, 60k miles later I switched to 265's and just got back from a ski trip to Tahoe, including traffic time, 4wd time and about 360 miles of freeway driving. 18.9 mpg! I can't think about all the fuel I wasted the last 4 years just for 1/2 inch of ground clearance. This truck has never seen 16mpg in its life. Just thought I'd share and try to help some others.

markrinker
01-05-2006, 04:56
I am going in for tires today on a 2001 2500HD. Was thinking about 285s - but will probably stick with factory the spec rubber.

Are your figures corrected for odometer error?

This truck tows a 25' gooseneck so highway mileage is important. It also plows snow, but always on asphault and doesn't need a really aggressive offroad tread pattern.

Any brand suggestions from someone getting great towing mileage?

[ 01-05-2006, 04:30 AM: Message edited by: Mark Rinker ]

Kennedy
01-05-2006, 06:48
I like the Michelin LTX MS tires. They wear awesome, and are quite with excellent mpg. The tradeoff with tires is that the harder, long wearing runbber has a bit less bite regardless of tread pattern etc.

29OUTLAW
01-05-2006, 08:07
I ran 285's Revo's on my old 02' and they wore horribly and I lost mileage! My new truck 265's Mich. LTX's like John and I love them so far. A little mileage drop but wear is great!!

jbplock
01-05-2006, 09:12
Moved to the2500HD/3500 HD Trucks & Drivetrain (http://forum.thedieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=forum;f=7) forum ...

smile.gif

jjackson
01-05-2006, 14:49
I have been running BFG A/T 285's since the truck was new, and I tow a 13K 5th wheel (I don't use the truck for anything else). I am consistantly getting between 12-12.5 MPG towing (mileage corrected for tire size). I have 31K on the truck, and I rotate the tires every 5K miles, and I'd guess I'll get another 20k+ miles out of them. I went w/the BFG A/T's because at the time they were the only one's I could find that had a 3 ply sidewall rating, which I thought would provide improved stability with the heavy weight..and they do, it tows excellent.

John

JoeyD
01-08-2006, 15:07
tread pattern and width play a part in milage as well as the size.
If it's a road only truck get a nice highway tread, most often they last much longer and are quiet.

Plasticfantastic
01-13-2006, 15:14
I just recently changed from 265 Michilens to 285 Yokos. The bigger tires killed my power and although they ride a little better, they have a ton of sidewall flex. Sudden steering wheel moves will get you in a heap of trouble and even worse when I'm pulling my trailer.

jjackson
01-13-2006, 17:24
The sidewall flex was a concern of mine, that's why I went w/the BFG 285A/T's, as they have a 3 ply sidewall. I have great stability pulling my 13K 5th wheel, good wear and no noise problems. I run a Quadzilla tuner, which improved my towing mileage by over 2 MPG to between 12-12.5.

John

DmaxMaverick
01-13-2006, 17:39
Originally posted by Plasticfantastic:
I just recently changed from 265 Michilens to 285 Yokos. The bigger tires killed my power and although they ride a little better, they have a ton of sidewall flex. Sudden steering wheel moves will get you in a heap of trouble and even worse when I'm pulling my trailer. I'm on my 2nd set of 285's, and ready for a 3rd. No problem from day one. I frequently pull my 32' 5'er (13K+), and notice no more sidewall flexing than with the OEM tires/wheels. My Bridgestone Dueller A/T's are mounted on 16x8 wheels. Did you put the new tires on the [too narrow] OEM wheels? Are you sure your new tires are D rated? They also come in a C rating, which has a much lower pressure and capacity rating, and would show your results. If your tires are D rated, the max pressure is 65 PSI. They need to be ran at that pressure, or you need to carefully calculate the required pressure per your actual loading on each axle. I set them at higher pressures when towing, or hauling heavy loads. With no load or towing, I usually run them at 45 PSI front, 35 PSI rear, and 50/65 towing.

Could you be mistaking tire scrub for sidewall flex? I'm not too fond of Toyo tires (hard tread/soft sidewall), and haven't used a set for many years, but I'm sure they are different now than then. How is you dry pavement traction? How easily do they break free?

Plasticfantastic
01-13-2006, 18:35
They are Geolanders, D rated, and I do run them at 55f and 50r pressure but still running the too narrow stock wheels for now. I have no complaints about traction, ride, or noise... they aren't better than the Michelins, or worse really, about the same other than the sidewall flex. I'm claiming flex based on any mild cornering at speed feels like you've only got 30psi in them...

Jeff-

DmaxMaverick
01-13-2006, 18:40
Try lowering the pressure, incrementally, and drive the same turns at the same speed. The tires may be scrubbing out from under you at higher pressure. When empty, 50 PSI rear is pretty stiff.