PDA

View Full Version : Allison Maintainence - Beware!

MountainMax
09-20-2002, 06:14
I was overdue for my 25k service. I live in Houston so I thought I would play it safe and use one of the several Allison dealer/service locations in the city. They can be found by going to the Allison website and using the service locator function. I called a Stewart/Stevenson location that listed service for the 1000 series and the serv. mgr said they were not set up for small trucks. I called another location and talked to a tech. He recommended dropping the pan. Changing the screen filter and the outside filter then topping off the fluid. I asked about flushing and he said it wasn't necessary that just by adding a little new it was as good as all new. He said though that they would charge alot more than a dealer. Next I called a Timmer's Chevy in Houston. They are listed as an Allison Dealer/service location. I talked to the serv mgr about flushing the trans. he put me on hold to find out if they had the right fittings to do that. Then when he came back he didn't know what it would cost. So yesterday I stopped into a large high volume Chevy dealer near my house. On a board they had "transmission service $119.00" I asked if this included the Allison. The serv. writer said yes. I asked what it entailed and he said "flushing the transmission" I asked if they pulled the pan and changed the screen filter and he said no. I then asked him if they changed the outside filter and he said no. So asked if he knew what the recommnded service was and he said no. We then had a meeting with the service manager wwho also did not know. After 30 minutes of searching on disks and in his computer he could not find anything. He said they didn't have a service manual. We used his computer to again look up some Allison service centers. After a few phone calls it was determined that their flush would "back flush" and clean the screen filter. This Allison tech said that you only need pull the pan when doing a rebuild. I opted to have them do the flush and I installed the outside filter to avoid the labor. I still don't know what is the recommended serv. I feel like all new fluid and a filter is the best way to go. Especially in a hot climate like Texas. Anyways I was out in about an hour .cost $127 + $12.50 for the trans filter. Hope this is useful info.

77TransAm
09-20-2002, 10:41
According to the GM service manual, the correct interval for service on the Allison is every 25,000 miles, and the service consists of changing the fluid and the external spin-on filter only. The 1000/2000/2400 Series Mechanic's Tips (available on the Allison website) also mention changing the spin-on filter only at 5,000 miles, but GM apparently didn't pick up on that one.

Allison dealers and distributors aren't set up to deal with pickup truck transmissions, which might explain why none of them had the answers you were looking for. Your dealer's answers are a little surprising, though... I just did a search on GM's online service system and it took me about two minutes to find the service procedure and interval for the Allison. Also, no "back flush" is going to go through the pump when it isn't turning, so it's not possible get back to the suction filter. (Although that is of no consequence - the suction filter is only to be changed at overhaul.)

hoot
09-20-2002, 11:05
77TransAm,

Would there be a different maintenance schuedule for using TranSynd and a deep pan? Longer intervals at least with TranSynd?

77TransAm
09-20-2002, 13:31
I think Big Al talked about that one time in more detail than I could. I believe that extended oil change intervals apply on Allison's World Transmissions when Transynd is used, but I don't see anything in the 1000/2000/2400 series literature saying that the same applies to those transmissions.

MadDuraMax
09-20-2002, 14:10
Check out this link for the info you are looking for: (Cut & Paste)

http://www.allisontransmission.com/documents/product/1099B.pdf

Castrol/Allison recommends 100K/48 Months for our trucks with Transynd.

Mark

[ 09-20-2002: Message edited by: MadDuraMax ]</p>

mulerose
09-20-2002, 17:01
For what its worth, my allison started showing signs of overheating (210) so I had the dealer service at 23000 miles. They dropped the pan, changed both filters and topped off fluid. Cost about $100 and they said my fluid was clean. The overheating has disappeared. Could a dirty filter restrict fluid flow and cause it to run a little hot?

ndamico
09-20-2002, 17:30
i have a copy of the Allison Dealer's service interval on transynd. it DOES cover the 1000/2000 series, except you cut the #'s in half the first change since there is still some residual old fluid in there that isn't transynd..

Maverick
09-21-2002, 02:27
My dealer has no clue as to what an Allison even is.
The last 3 times at 25, 50, 75, I had the local Allison dealer do mine. They pull a hose on the bottom and fill'er up and let the tranny pump the new fluid in. Change external filter and they are done. Costs like $130. Have been using Dextron III since day one. Gonna need another real quick. Just flipped 98,000 miles.

Paintdude
09-21-2002, 08:12
My buddie that services Fedex units with Allison 1000 trans always replaces the spin on filter at every ENGINE oil change..He said that has cured all of there problems..

hoot
09-21-2002, 08:20
Paintdude,

I wonder what problems it cures? That is a loaded statement. What about the guys that have problems in the first 5000 miles? Will changing the filter fix it? I know you probably are just saying what you heard but it is a loaded statement.

Paintdude
09-21-2002, 08:42
He told me that is what the allison dealer told them to do after they had one rebuilt..So he does and hasn`t had any problems to speak of since..Must be the filter slows the fluid down..

I changed mine at 1000 miles first time..and it shifts most excellent..

I will change it at 5000 here soon, every engine oil change..

mattb5150
09-21-2002, 10:11
Mine is coming up on 25K miles soon. I have only towed once and am not planning anymore soon. I replaced the spin on at around 5K and was going to remove the spin on filter and drain what fluid I can by removing the drain plug, install new spin-on filter (with magnet of course)and add same amount of fluid I drain just with Dexron III.

Matt B.

LanduytG
09-21-2002, 21:51
If I had a truck with a spin on filter I would at least change every other oil change, after all whats $10. Plus use a quality synthetic ATF and you will not have to change the fluid as often. As for the deep pan I am not sure its really needed, buut for know more than it cost it could give you a peace of mind.
Greg

Burner
09-23-2002, 16:50
My .02 worth......

Has anyone ever noticed that on most of the "BIG" Allison transmissions they do not change the fluid? The only thing they replace are the filters? The "BIG" trans are on large off-road equipment, working in the most harsh conditions. Conditions in which they are run wide open all day going from reverse to forward and then straining them to push into a pile of dirt. I wonder why our transmissions would far any different with fluid? :confused:

Burner

mattb5150
09-25-2002, 21:39
Anyone know how many quarts should come out if I drain the transby removing the drain plug and filter? Is it easy to remove the cooler line and drain? Is it necessary to do this in anyone's opinion?

Matt B.

Vette Racer
09-25-2002, 22:55
Does anyone have any common sense??? The last time I checked, If you are pulling heavy, change everything early. If not, change it as you feel it should be changed. There is not a magic bullet for all of this. You have to look at how you are using the truck and make common sense decisions. Am I crazy or what????

letsgo
09-26-2002, 05:55
copied this info. from another post.

small tranny pan 7.4 qts

total capacity dry 12.7 qts

Good luck

MountainMax
09-28-2002, 12:58
Well I'm glad I posted this topic. I can see we are all at a concensus now as to what the regular maintenance is. I'm sure all of the dealers are up to speed by now too. ;)

MountainMax
10-02-2002, 08:16
Hey Vette Racer: I think you missed the point. Not trying to flame ya, but my point is that there are those of us with common sense and want to do the right thing in maintaining the tranny. The problem is that between the dealers and Allison there is not a concensus as to what the 25k regular maint. is. Is it dropping the pan, changing the screen filter and topping the fluids? Or, is it flushing the entire system and changing the spin on filter? I've been told both. You are right though. Only the individual owner knows how they are using their truck and should maint. it accordingly. Whatever that is.

mdrag
10-02-2002, 11:51
A few of the forum resident Allison experts have posted in the past that the internal filter only needs to be replaced at tranny rebuild OR if you switch from the shallow to the deep pan (the internal filter is different in this case). If you decide to do this, the pan gasket is reusable and should survive multiple uses unless you somehow manage to damage it.

Routine maintenance is to drain the pan, change the spin on, and add ~ 7.4 qts ATF.

I switched to the deep pan/Transynd and flushed the system, using about 4.5 gal of Transynd in the process. A 5 gal pail of Transynd was $125.