PDA

View Full Version : Warranty Work - GMC vs Chevy

VA_Dmax
04-04-2004, 13:28
I am having problems getting the service department at my Chevrolet dealer in town to look into a LOUD noise during shutdown (not accessory belt chirping, just LOUD clatter and grinding). Service rep at Chevy dealer says its "Normal" but Ive talked with other Dmax owners and heard a dozen Dmax trucks shut down since and none make this noise. A service rep at the GMC dealer was recomended by someone as a trustworthy person, and Im curious if a GMC dealer's service department can do warranty work for a Chevrolet? Anybody know the answer to this? I'm going to take it in on Monday afternoon to the GMC service guy and am curious if I will be able to get him to work on it? Or just get a second opinion and have to go back to the Chevy dealer?

Onebigcanuck
04-04-2004, 14:15
My understanding is that you must take your unit to the brand name dealer in the U.S. for warranty.

In Canada either will do the warranty work.
:confused: :confused:

dmaxalliTech
04-04-2004, 19:04
I have been down this road. GM will not authorize a cross warranty unless its the selling dealer, meaning, you bought a used chevy from a gmc dealer, then the gmc dealer could warranty it. Or if its an emergency situation.. your broke down and no chevy dealer in immediate area...

GMC dealer can give you a recommendation, but very unlikely gm will let them fix it

VA_Dmax
04-05-2004, 02:37
Thanks for those answers. I was hoping that wouldnt be the case, and the GMC dealer would be able to work on it. I will just go there this afternoon and ask for a "second opinion". If they agree something is wrong, I will take it back to the chevy place. Thanks again for the info.

Colorado Kid
04-05-2004, 13:10
Suspect your dual-mass flywheel. Noise on shut down is probably broken spring in DMF.

VA_Dmax
04-05-2004, 13:28
Colorado, unfortunately for me I think I agree, I've suspected the flywheel for a while now. I can depress the clutch and noise is only slight, but if I shut it down normal it clatters something awful. Also if I just raise the RPM in Neutral only by 100 or so, it sounds like balling up some aluminum foil or something, almost like the famous typewriter "tick" sound, but also makes this same noise if I just depress and release the clutch. So I dont think its the real "tick" we hear so much about.

GMC dealer today said he was allowed to do cross warranty work. Says it is not normally allowed but his dealership is one of few in the region that can? :confused: Fine by me. He says the noise is definately not normal and will be able to take the truck in end of this week or early next week. So already one step farther than before, at least its going to be looked at. Thanks again everybody for all those answers.

VA_Dmax
04-06-2004, 16:50
Set up service for next Wednesday. Service guy says he talked to his duramax mechanic and there was a TSB for a noise from a vacuum problem at shut down. Says it could be that, but still wants to look it all over in case something else (Im still screaming flywheel problem.) Anybody ever hear of this vacuum TSB? I did a search but came up empty. Thanks

dmaxalliTech
04-09-2004, 19:13
maybe the engine is making too much vacuum :rolleyes:

More Power
04-09-2004, 20:08
To check for a DMF noise at shut-down, try this:

1- Set the parking brake.

2- Start the engine.

3- Select 2, 3 or 4th gear.

4- With one foot on the brakes to prevent the truck from moving, slowly let out the clutch to load the idling engine.

5- When the engine is laboring to maintain idle speed, shut off the ignition.

6- If the clanking sound is significantly reduced, you may have identified the problem (bad DMF).

MP

blue_lightning
04-10-2004, 02:46
I see that there is a TSB for a possible fix. Check here for under "Body Control Module" for the fix named "NEW CALIBRATION TO ADDRESS CLUNK NOISE OCCURING AT SHUTDOWN". Good luck. Dave
GM Vehicle Calibration Information (http://calid.gm.com/vci/VINEntryPre.do)

VA_Dmax
04-12-2004, 13:07
More Power, tried that this morning and this afternoon. Both times the clunking/clattering was reduced to NOTHING. Started up and shut down without doing anything, and the noise was back. So Im going to reproduce all that on Wednesday morning when I take it in.

Blue_Lightning, couldnt quite figure out how that site worked. Typed in the VIN and chose the "Body Control Module", but didnt see anything about calibration to fix a clunk noise. Maybe not applicable to my VIN?

Again thanks all for the tips info and opinions. Cant wait to get it all fixed. Was wanting the JK exhaust but dont want to swing for that until I can get these problems behind me under warranty.

VA_Dmax
04-14-2004, 14:13
Picked up the truck today, dealer says its the belt tensioner and serpentine belt. Im a little suspicious of the diagnosis, I dont think the belt could possibly make this much noise. The parts are on order and I will find out Monday if thats the problem.

More Power, I replicated just what you said, and their explanation was that it slowed the RPM down enough to keep the belt tensioner from making that noise. :confused: Just dont know if I'm buying that explanation though, like I said I dont think a belt could make this much noise.

VA_Dmax
04-16-2004, 13:05
:mad: OK now Im really angry, received a call today that tensioner has not arrived and service appointment for Monday has been cancelled. So I decided I couldnt wait until Monday to see if it was really the tensioner. Got home from work today and removed the serpintine belt, started up truck, shut it down. The noise was STILL THERE!! :mad:

cowboywildbill
04-23-2004, 17:59
What ever happened with your truck? Did they fix it? Just curious as to what the problem actually turned out to be. Thanks.

VA_Dmax
04-27-2004, 15:04
Dealer claims belt tensioner hast to ship from the factory and the part still has not arrived yet. He also claims he removed the belt and the noise during shut off stopped. I dont believe a bit of that, heard otherwise with my own ears :mad: Started to keep a log of all conversations with the dealer. In the mean time I found some bulletin PI00908A? Some kind of GM service bulletin concerning noise when depressing clutch while in neutral. I have that problem too, so I need to push that to the dealer. So to answer the question Cowboy Wild Bill, Im in the same place I was 2 weeks ago. :(

cowboywildbill
04-27-2004, 16:38
I'm sorry to hear that they are treating you like that. In another post I made a joke and said that we needed to clone some of the Tech's like "dmaxalliTech" from the Diesel page and send one of the clones to all of our dealers. That way we could get things done right the first time. I hope GM comes through for you. Let us know what the outcome is. Thanks for the update. Good Luck!

VA_Dmax
04-28-2004, 02:23
Ive already looked at map quest to see the route from Virginia to Michigan! tongue.gif Just a little too far for me right now. I just figure Ive still got 18000 more miles of Warranty left so I will just keep being patient.

FisHn2DMax
04-29-2004, 19:57
I have a GMC and have had NO problem having my local Chev dealer do warranty work on my GMC.
GM will allow you to use the a Chev or GMC dealer if you first attempt to use the same brand GM truck dealer service. I did and had many repeated probelms with my local GMC dealer. I took it to the far superior service department of a local Chev dealer and explained the problems. GM authorized the Chev dealer to do any of my warranty work hence forth.

cowboywildbill
05-06-2004, 07:06
Well, did they fix it yet? Just wondering how it turned out. The suspense is killing us.

VA_Dmax
05-09-2004, 07:32
I have been out of town all last week, got in late last night. When I checked the mailbox last night, there was a postcard from the dealer saying the belt tensioner had arrived. So this week I will take it in and let them replace the tensioner. Strange they sent a post card and didnt just leave me a message on my phone. :confused: Suspense is killing me here too, Im wanting to put an exhaust system on this thing but dont want to do it until this problem is fixed! :D

VA_Dmax
05-12-2004, 13:19
Well Cowboy Wild Bill here is the story from the dealer today. Dropped it off at 7 am to have the tensioner replaced. Surprise Surprise Surprise I get a call at around 2PM and the dealer says that changing the tensioner did not stop the noise! Which is what I told them 2 weeks ago. Dealer claims that the noise is normal gear lash for the ZF transmission. (Cant wait to contact ZF to tell them that GM is blaming the noise on gear lash in their transmission) So at that point I give him the number of the TSB for the flywheel (PI00908A) that was given to me by a buddy. So he looks that and then says he cant repair a flywheel, only replace it. But cant replace it until total failure of the part. :confused: So you mean in order to try to save money now by not replacing a half broken flywheel, you want to take chances with the flywheel coming apart during use and breaking who knows what else with it? Anybody know of a dealership in the Eastern half of Virginia that is willing to do warranty work on a flywheel before it completely fails? :mad:

cowboywildbill
05-12-2004, 18:38
Don't it make you mad enough to scream! It seems lkie it's always catch 22, "I FEEL YOUR PAIN". Hey, at least you will get to fill out that famous dealer survey card, I bet you can give GM an earfull! Good luck and thanks for letting us know the outcome. Please keep us updated on the next round. :eek:

cowboywildbill
06-04-2004, 10:15
Did you get it fixed yet?

VA_Dmax
06-05-2004, 06:02
Funny you ask, I just got the dealer service survey card last night. Ive been in touch alot with the ZF company to let them know that GM service is saying that the ZF transmission has "gear lash" problems. They were very surprised to hear that, and gave me a test similar to what More Power was saying about depressing the clutch and shutting it down with load on the flywheel. All the tests confirm the same thing, that the flywheel is the noise culprit. So I'm going to let them have it on the dealer survey card, and will probably attach some of the correspondance with ZF. The steering clunk I had fixed under warranty is back after a few thousand miles. So I will probably voice my opinion on that design flaw too.

cowboywildbill
06-06-2004, 11:33
Don't hold anything back on the survey card. Let them have it! You shouldn't be getting the run around. Hope you get a new flywheel soon.

DieselDavy
06-07-2004, 05:58
VA_DMAX,
I guess your last response means you haven't had it fixed yet. Sorry to hear that. Please let us know how all this shakes out. The survey card may shake them up a little, but it seams that GM Corp. might want to know that the dealer won't perform on a TSB issue.
Dave

VA_Dmax
06-07-2004, 16:58
Is there some way anyone could verify that the bulletin number I posted earlier is correct? PI00908A is what I think it is. Is this the correct number for the neutral rattle while engaging/disengaging the clutch? Is there some other bulletin that was put out later that actually says NOT to replace the flywheel? Thanks for the help.