PDA

View Full Version : Starter

moose1
09-28-2003, 18:12
I have recently replaced my starter ($600) and batteries ($250). I did this because the truck would not start all the time and acted as if the batteries were low or the starter was pooched. We were hunting in the middle of no where and the truck did the same thing. I had taken it in and had the alternator checked and the mechanic said it was fine. What now. Could the new starter be bad, is the mechanic wrong about the alternator? The battery connections are solid.

Any advice?

tom.mcinerney
09-29-2003, 19:04
Moose, some indication of the vehicle model improves the chance that a response will be relevant. Studies by automotive repair/parts chains report that most starter failures result from weak batteries; most weak batteries result from weak/dying alternators. It seems that either your batteries aren't getting charged enough, or that they are not delivering enough power to the starter. Of course, maybe your engine has become much harder to crank over. Even a cheap digital voltmeter from Radioshack is good enough to monitor the batteries state of charge. If the battery voltage rises to about 14 after running 10 min - 30 min with headlamps on, charging circuit may be OK. The connection from the alternator output(ring terminal held by nut) to the battery is critical, doesn't often fail--but if test alternator off engine and then don't get charge on engine, might check. At rest charged batteries should be over 13 volts. If it doesn't crank readily, probably bad connections , or bad starter. I would suggest deal directly with an auto electric rebuilder.

moose1
09-30-2003, 11:17
Thanks, I went back to the Alternator guy and he did a better job of diagnosing the problem. The alternator was not putting out enough juice when at idle, and when hunting back roads that's a lot of what I was doing. He mentioned that cheap batteries like I had had earlier make life hard on the alternator and starter. He is not impressed with the stock Chevy alternators. It cost me another $250 Cn. Hope this is the end of my starting problems.

1995 6.5td 4x4 ext cab