PDA

View Full Version : Was good while it lasted...

DMAX Daddy
09-20-2002, 10:39
Awoke this AM to a "Service 4WD Light". 691 miles on the truck. I had it in 4WD for about 3 miles on soft dirt, never went over 30 MPH and that was about 250 miles ago.

Hopefully the computer just had a brain fart.

Mic
09-20-2002, 10:55
Most likely it's the 4WD switch module failure.

ref:http://forum.62-65-dieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=7&t=002417&p=

Dealer should have no trouble tracing that one down.

Sweet ride there! :D

How do you like that DVD setup?

[ 09-20-2002: Message edited by: Mic ]</p>

DMAX Daddy
09-20-2002, 11:20
Sponge Bob DVD + 1 yr old = priceless

The cordless headphones work great, and I can switch the main radio do it plays on the main system. I would have liked the screen to be an inch or two bigger, but it works well.

The only thing is side passengers need to lean to the center a bit to see it clearly. I am looking into a "screen-ectomy" right now. Possibly taking the screen portion off, cutting out 1/2 to 1 inch all the way around, and adding a larger screen.

Supposedly with the new electrical system anyone can find anything. Hope thats true. Maybe I just had something kick up and hit some wiring. :rolleyes:

I read the other thread and my "service 4wd" message came on and stayed on. All the lights for the 4 wheel console are out. I cant switch bewteen 4 wheel drive and 2 wheel drive. Sounds like it just died.

Thank god my wife doesnt read here. ;)

[ 09-20-2002: Message edited by: DMAX Daddy ]</p>

DMAX Daddy
09-20-2002, 15:54
Dealer said it was a software glitch and they dont have the fix yet. Apparently it is happening a lot in the 03's. Im on the list to be called once the fix is in.

As a work around, they needed to disconnect something for 30 seconds then reconnect it. Ill find out exaclty what it was.

AbqGeorge
09-20-2002, 18:48
That "Service 4 WD" light came on during my trip back from Ft. Collins over memorial day. When it did, it seemed that the yellow LED for 2HI seemed a bit dimmer. Stopping and restarting the truck would make the light go out for a few miles and then it would come back on.

As mentioned, above, it turned out being the switch cluster in the dash. You would think those were just normal switches with indicator lights wouldn't you? Nope! Zener reference diode, voltage divider resistor network, and more. One wire from this switch with a DC potential to tell the computer to tell the transfer case what to do. I think some engineer had fun dreaming that one up. smile.gif