PDA

View Full Version : SES Light, Power Loss (Limp Mode?) and Downshifts

BillyD
04-04-2004, 20:55
My SES (Service Engine Soon) light came on the other day while driving approximately 65-70 mph up a slight grade unloaded.

10-15 seconds after the SES light came on there was a significant loss of power. Depressing the accelerator pedal to maintain speed caused the transmission to down shift at least one gear.

As road speed continued to drop, even though the accelerator pedal remained depressed, the transmission continued to down shift until, at one point, maximum speed that the truck could maintain was approximately 15 mph.

I pulled over to check things out. Stopping and starting the truck had no effect on the SES light; however, the truck would idle fine. All guages were within normal ranges.

I decided to keep going and found that if I kept the engine speed below 1900 RPM and lifted momentarily on the accelerator just as 1900 RPM was reached, the transmission would upshift through the gears.

If I attempted to exceed 1900 RPMs, the engine would "stumbled" and the transmission would successively downshift until the accelerator pedal was released. I pulled over, put the truck in Park, returned the gear selector back to drive and was able to continue so long as I kept below 1900 RPMs.

After the truck had been turned off for a couple of hours, the SES light was gone and the truck again drove normally. Just to be safe, I replaced the NSBU switch with the Tan two-connector version. After three days, however, the SES light came back on and the same symptoms reappeared (power loss and down shifting).

A search on "SES" did not yield any relevant results; hence, this post. The truck is in the dealer now, but haven't heard whether they've recovered any error codes.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

In the interest of completeness, I should point out two other items. At 74,000 miles I had the ECM and alternator replaced under warranty. The other item is that the cruise control occassionally cuts out when attempting to use the Accelerate slide switch (no difference with new ECM).

If the dealer comes up with anything, I will post the findings here in case anyone else experiences a similar problem.

Thanks.

BillyD

dmaxalliTech
04-05-2004, 19:42
I wonder if its in trans or engine, but by what your saying, I would suspect a code 93. Truck is unable to build fuel pressure due to a leak in system. Keep us posted

BillyD
04-06-2004, 09:48
Current prognosis is that 4 of 8 injectors are bad and are being replaced under the 100,000 mile Diesel Warranty.

The injectors on the driver side are returning too much fuel to the tank, which means they are not delivering fuel to the left bank of cylinders.

Will keep you posted.

Thanks.

Bill

BillyD
04-06-2004, 15:16
Pursuant to TSB 04-06-04-007, all 8 injectors are going to be replaced.

#04-06-04-007 - (02/18/2004)

Service Engine Soon (SES) Light, P0087, P0093, P1093, Low Power, No Start, Hard Start, Fuel in Crankcase (Replace All Injectors -- New Strategy for High Fuel Return Rates)

2001-2004 Chevrolet Silverado
2003-2004 Chevrolet Kodiak C4500/C5500 Series
2001-2004 GMC Sierra
2003-2004 GMC Topkick C4500/C5500 Series with 6.6L Duramax

WLucas
04-10-2004, 17:11
I also had eight injectors replaced less than two weeks ago due to code P0093. Drove 600 miles this past week on a short trip and every thing seemed to be fine.
I decided to test drive the truck today with my slide in camper on board. Well after about 45 min. of driving, the ses light came on again and went in limp mode. Since my dealer was closed I had Auto Zone check the code, and it was P0093 again{major fuel leak}.
Does anyone have any ideas what my problem might be?
Bill Lucas

dmaxalliTech
04-11-2004, 06:58
Sounds like your dealer has some more work ahead of them. Either they created a leak, which is unlikely or the pump wont build pressure. Also, when is the last time the filter was changed? If its restricted/plugged, it cant supply enough fuel and can trip this code.

WLucas
04-11-2004, 08:22
Eric,
The first time that I took the truck to dealer with this problem they did change the filter. The filter was clean[we did cut it open].
The second visit they changed the injectors. Every time that the engine has set a code is when I have the camper loaded on the truck.
Thanks,
Bill Lucas

dmaxalliTech
04-11-2004, 13:02
thats when she is working the hardest for sure. I would take your camper and truck in, and have the tech go for a ride with you while he is watching the tech-2.. He should be watching actual vs desired fuel pressure. If it cant build what its asking for, it will set that code. He can also command the fuel pressure with the tech-2 and see if it raises like it should.

BillyD
04-12-2004, 13:48
Got the truck back today and here is what was shown on the work order:

"Customer['s] Service [Engine] Soon light comes on while driving. Insp/Rept. Engine RPM does not go past 1900 RPM when accelerating, transmission shifts erratically, down shifts - Inspect and Report.

Upon inspection discovered DTC P00093, Fuel System Large Fuel Leak detected. Commanded Fuel pressure to 23,200m /fyek oressyre abke ti reacg 16,157 PSI. Performed fuel return test. Discovered 62 milliliters fuel return combined. Passenger bank 51 ml, driver side bank 12 ml. Called Technical Assistence Center Case #7270022. Discovered Bulletin 04-06-04-007.

Per bulletin, replaced all 8 fuel injectors, reassembled, performed fuel system pressure test. Indicated pressure 23,208 PSI, actual pressure 23,200 - OK at this time, operates as designed."

The truch has 85,000 miles and this work was done under the diesel engine 100,000 mile/6-year warranty.

The filter was changed at the same time; however, it wasn't considered the root cause of this particular problem.

Bill

dmaxalliTech
04-12-2004, 18:50
Judging by that, looks like they got it. 62mls of return is WAY to much... I just put 8 in this afternoon with a code 93 in it... I like the comment
" discovered bullitin 04-06-04-007 "
:rolleyes:

BillyD
04-13-2004, 15:42
They "discovered" TSB 04-06-04-007 because I gave them the number! I obtained a fax copy of the TSB from www.alldata.com (http://www.alldata.com) and asked GM to explain why they didn't seem to think that it applied to my vehicle given the symptoms. They called back later and agreed that it did apply, hence, all eight injectors were replaced. Thanks to this site, I had the TSB number.

Bill

P.S. The reason I had to have a fax copy of the TSB from AllData is because their Web site posting of TSBs for this vehicle only went through 29-October-2003. There is about a six month lag between when the OE issues the TSB and it is posted on Web site.

BillyD
04-13-2004, 15:49
I see in my earlier post my fingers got ahead of my brain...or was it the other way around?

"23,200m /fyek oressyre abke ti reacg 16,157 PSI"

should have read:

"23,200. Fuel pressure able to reach 16,157 PSI"

Sorry.