PDA

View Full Version : Air Bags - springs - ride , etc.

peachin
04-05-2004, 16:51
There is a subject of Air Bags vs. Springs on the towing section of this web site.

I had Firestone Air Bags installed on my Truck
and was amaized how great a ride I was getting
without towing anything. Smoother, tighter
turns - less bumps in the road - all Pluses!

I was going to go with a Spring system called Helwig - but it was going to add more weight
and required turning nuts to lessen or tighten
the ride. The Air valves (two come out of my rear license plate holder) are easy and I'm going to tow my rig this weekend - I can't wait -

Modified
04-11-2004, 17:08
I have the Air Lift SD air bags on my 2002 3/4 HD, and here are my opinions:

Unloaded with no air, my first stage on driverside is touching the second stage, and the passengerside is slightly off the second stage. When I inflate to the minumun 10 PSI, both springs are off the second stage, and it seems to ride smoother.

Loaded with my 5ver with a pin weight of 1800-2000 lbs, my truck seems to rides best with only 12 PSI max. There is enough weight to keep the first and second stage springs in continuous contact, and this seems to reduce sway, and I'm still reducing about 600 lbs from the suspention.
If I inflate over 20 PSI, I feel bucking when riding over bumpy roads, which I THEIRORIZE is the first stage disengaging and re-engaging from the second stage continuously.
With 40 PSI or more, the truck seemed to sway more. I'm sure the high center of gravity and 12' high walls of my 5ver, (sails), add to the sway. A heavily loaded flatbed would probably not experience this.
My truck maybe didn't really need the bags with this load, and I would suspect the bags would work better, (and be needed more), with a heavier load.