PDA

View Full Version : Dash Lghts Out. HELP!

Pointer
09-21-2002, 10:09
I had a light socket go bad on my boost gauge and short out. It couldn't be easy and just take out the fuse. Strange thing about it is I'll get the clock light on only until I turn on the head lights than the clock goes out. The dimmer has no effect (suspect?). I've tried following the curcuit looking for a fusable link or anything burned up but find nothing. Any thoughts on this? :confused:

DmaxMaverick
09-21-2002, 15:35
Check your tail light bulbs. If you have a tail light out, your instrument panel lights will not come on. If that isn't it, then it can be a fuse, a disconnected terminal, or the reostat in the dimmer is fried. I would suggest looking again for a fuse. Good luck with it.

sailor
09-22-2002, 09:41
I think you have a bad ground that is what made the problem start. Power now must flow though other devices to get to ground.Any time the electrics work in unexplainable ways it is ground. These are a b****h to find. You are looking for something on the same feed wire from the power supply. "Search grounds in the 6.5 section there was a great discrption of how to TS grounds a couple months ago.

Pointer
09-25-2002, 11:05
Well I found the problem and wanted to post so I could warn others. It turned out to be the headlight module, the box on your left side dash that has the headlight switch, dimmer and override switch all in one. This is evidently the weaker link compaired to the 10 amp fuse. When I installed my gauges I used the "add-a-circuit" type connector in the fuse panel that allows you to use the original rated fuse plus a different fuse for your accessories. I had 10 amps in both. I have replaced the original fuse with 5 amp and accessory (guages) fuse with a 3 amp with no problem. If your headlamp module acts as your fuse , it'll cost you $62. I'd recommend everyone with or without accessories to change the dash fuse to a 5 amp or less.