PDA

View Full Version : electrical anomolies

COPPER
04-08-2004, 18:23
I HAVE HAD PROBLEMS WITH THE bATTERY SYMBOL[LIGHT] COMING ON WHILE DRIVING-SOMETIMES ONLY FOR A FEW MINUTES-SOMETIMES LONGER--EVENTUALLY IT GOES OFF--BUT RETURNS--THE DEALER WORKED ONIT THREE TIMES-FINALLY REPLACED AN ALTERNATOR-HAS NOT RETURNED--
I AM ON MY SECOND RADIO--IT STARTS TO SHUT ITSELF OFF WHEN THE ENGINE IS STARTED- WHEN I TURN IT ON THE CLOCK IS OFF AND THE PRESETS ARE GONE--THEY SAY THAT THIS IS NOT A NEW PROBLEM AND THEY DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO- ANY IDEAS/

3-Fan
04-09-2004, 03:52
My S-10 would do those similiar things for a coupe months. Radio presets lost and trip odometer resetting everytime I started the truck. Couldn't figure it out till I went out the one morning and the truck wouldn't turn over. Plopped a new battery in and everything is back to the way it should be. Had your battery(s) tested?

Flyboy
04-09-2004, 09:31
Before changing the alternator, check the connection in the red box on the drivers side by the ground strap. Mine had corrosion under the large connector that connects the batteries to the alternator output. Cleaned that and batteries are back to charging and battery light out.

Jorday
04-10-2004, 08:35
sometimes my truck does strange electrical things, too. When you turn on the overhead reading lights, it makes the cargo lamp indicator on the dash turn on and then turn right back off. :confused:

Also, one time one of the lights on the inside of the doors came on and wouldn't turn off. Just that one light. I shut the truck off and started it back up and it started working normally.

Modified
04-11-2004, 16:30
Have BOTH batteries load tested. Also, check electrical connections, such as junction block underhood, (red box), and also both batteries positive wires connect at the starter, which could have a loose connection. And don't forget to check for loose or corroded grounds.
Low system voltage, because of one of the above, will cause many electrical components to seem to fail.

Edit : Forgot one more possability, try another Dealer.

Lenl
04-12-2004, 09:25
I also have a problem with the radio unable to keep pre-sets or time, I have been through the obvious connection but still cannot find out what is the problem.
I would love to hear a simple fix!