PDA

View Full Version : What is the clearence, front end sitting on rubber bumper stops

letsgo
09-23-2002, 07:51
What should the clearance be between the rubber stops that are used between the frame and the front wheel "A" frame, right now the front end is sitting on the rubber stops. In order to adjust the torsion bars do you just jack up the front wheel and turn the adjustment bolt?

Lost without shop manuals.

thanks for any help.

ThePend
09-23-2002, 09:08
Letsgo

Its perfectly normal. Stop by the dealer and take a peak under the front ends and youll see that they are all resting on the bump stops. Thats one of the reasons these trucks have a plush ride.

Idaho Bassman
09-23-2002, 09:25
Talking with my brother last night, he had the same problem. He took his truck back to the dealer and they lifted the front end for him. He said that it gave him a much smoother ride and leveled the truck out a little. I will check my truck for that problem tonight.

SoCalDMAX
09-23-2002, 16:55
Although they are all delivered sitting on the front bump stops, I don't think they should be. The torsion bars should be doing the work. Looking at it, there isn't much travel before you've completely used up all of the give in the bump stop.

I raised mine and feel that it looks and rides better.

Regards, Steve

AbqGeorge
09-23-2002, 21:26
Ok, you got my curiosity up so I looked in the 2001 Manual, Page 3-22 to be exact. Talk about confusing (and I'm an engineer, albeit, electrical. Maybe that's my problem ) :confused:

On the front end, they refer to the "Z" trim height. On Page 3-5 it's listed as 4.3 to 4.8 inches with preferred, being 4.5" This is for K1500, K2500 and C3500 vehicles.

Perform the following before measuring the trim heights:
1. Set the tire pressures to the pressure shown on the certification label.
2. Check the fuel level. Add additional weight if necessary to simulate a full tank. (I guess they don't expect the dealer to top of the tank)
3. Make sure the rear compartment is empty except for the spare tire.
4. Make sure the vehicle is on a level surface, such as an alignment rack.
5. Close the doors.
6. Close the hood.
7. All dimensions are measured vertical to the ground. Trim heights should be within 0.5" to be considered correct.

Then, "Z Height Measurement"
Steps:
1. Lift the front bumper of the vehicle up about 1.5".
2. Gently remove your hands
3. Allow the vehicle to settle into position.
4. Repeat this jouncing operation 2 more times for a total of three times.
5. Measure from the pivot bolt center line (3) down to the lower corner (5) of the lower ball joint (1) in order to obtain the Z height measurement (4).
6. Push the front bumper of the vehicle down about 1.5".
7. Gently remove your hands
8. Allow the vehicle to rise.
9. Repeat the operation for a total of 3 times.
10. Measure the Z dimension.
11. The true Z height dimension is the average of the high and the low measurements.

Link to confusing picture:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/gwmayes/FrontEnd.jpg

Probably, the thing to do is measure point 3 to the ground and point 5 to the ground and subtract the two.

One revolution of the torsion arm adjusting bolt changes the height approximately 0.2"

letsgo
09-25-2002, 04:32
Thanks for your replies.

Abqgeorge that post and web page was exactly what I needed.

It took 5 turns UP on the drivers side and 1.25 turns DOWN on the passenger side to get the Z measurement to 4.5 inches the same on both sides using the ground as reference, giving me 1/8 inch clearence between the rubber stop and the wheel A frame.

at one point in the adjustment the passenger body side was 1 inch higher but that got sorted out to 1/8 inch difference.

Where it says lift the bumper 1.5 inches, all I managed to do was shake it.

[ 09-25-2002: Message edited by: letsgo ]

[ 09-25-2002: Message edited by: letsgo ]</p>

Vette Racer
09-25-2002, 23:35
For whats it worth, I raised mine 4 turns and it rides much better, Its a two wheel drive CC long bed. Just works much better, had to put weight in the bed, about 210 lbs, to settle it down in the rear.