PDA

View Full Version : Oversize tires = early front end wear ???

TraceF
04-13-2004, 05:08
I have a 2003 HD2500 CC 4x4 Dmax with 285/75/16's and I have tightened up the torsion bars enough to get about an inch of front lift. The truck doesn't sit level but it is about half way between there and stock. The truck was aligned immediately after the torsion bar adjustment. I replaced the oem shocks early on with Bilsteins.

Here is the issue- at 49k miles my left front hub went south. The bearing went out and there was tiny silver bearing shavings all over the inside of the assembly when the dealer replaced it. At 53k miles the right front failed. Then I developed a clunk noise and at 55k the dealer replaced the pittman arm and idler arm and the dealer showed me the parts, they were noticeably loose and worn.

The dealer is pointing at my "oversize" tires as the cause.

Is anyone else having these wear issues?

tbrowne
04-13-2004, 08:33
The latest issue of Motor Trend Magazine has a good article on tire and wheel sizes and how they affect performance, handling and wear. From what I read, I'd say that tire size could definitely be the cause of your problem.

Grab a copy and decide for yourself.

JimWilson
04-13-2004, 10:01
Unless GM's definition of HD means nothing you really shouldn't have much, if any, problems from those size tires. For the most part, unless you're using 35" and above you're really not talking anything other then what could realistically be deemed stock size. True, that's not what came on the truck originally, but look at the 1/2 ton Silverados; they have 265's from the factory. Does that mean that the 1/2 ton's suspension components -- which use 265's vs the 245's on our trucks -- are stronger then the ones on the 3/4 ton? Let's hope not.

I, for one, would be very surprised if a 1/2 ton could handle a 265, but a "heavy" 3/4 ton was unable to take a 285.

TraceF
04-13-2004, 10:29
Jim- I am inclined to agree with you but I can't come up with any other plausible explanation.

99% of the miles on the truck are highway, in fact the front brake pads still have two-thirds of the lining left!

Buck
04-14-2004, 10:13
I call BS on GM. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the H2 Hummer use the HD front end. They come with 35" tires on 8.5" rims.....

If the two are different maybe us HD guyz need some H2 parts.

Did anyone happen to catch the TV show (A to Z offroad?)on the designing of the H2, in the desert mostly stock minus the pretty parts. Bare Bones. Jumping it over the dunes....they are TOUGH. Cool show

Cliffee
04-16-2004, 00:36
Bottom line is the frontends of our HD's are junk. My local Dealers frontend tech has been working for almost 20 years on suspension and he told me straightout that he can't believe what he's seeing. He replaces tierods and pitmans with milage as low as 25k!!!
The larger tires probably just make a bad thing worse.

Buck
04-21-2004, 09:05
I'm all for a solid front axle :cool:

A least then when one puts on a snow plow the plow brackets won't scrape the ground :rolleyes:

[ 04-22-2004, 09:20 AM: Message edited by: Buck ]

JimWilson
04-23-2004, 09:27
Originally posted by Buck:
I'm all for a solid front axleYou and me both!

TraceF
04-27-2004, 07:28
There is a California company who has developed a rigid axle kit, including leaf springs for the 2500HD.

I can't remember the name but I got all the details a year ago after I bought the truck and it was upwards of $8k to do it right.

Polar Diesel
04-28-2004, 11:53
My 93 front end holds up just fine to 285's. the tierods don't bend under heavy loads in 4X4 either.