PDA

View Full Version : Inside Heater Filters - CHECK EM ?

hammer
09-25-2002, 16:14
Hello Everybody, Took the truck in for a rutein checkup & got more service work done compliments of GM & my dealer.They went through the truck with a fine tooth comb & they didnt miss a thing.All it cost me is two Hrs. of waiting time & a set of inside heater filters which was $22.00.They didnt even charge me to install the filters,in fact the mechanic had me right there with him to show me how to replace them.And boy were they dirty.If you guys have them in your truck its advisable to check them at least every 6 months.I myself couldnt find a thing wrong with the truck or the mechanic either.Got a little over 30,000 on it now & running like a jewel.Also its bene averaging over 17 MPG.the last 15,000 miles.I sure hope everybody out there has the luck I have had with mine.I wouldnt trade this rig for the world.Thanks for reading my forum & all have a good day.Hammer smile.gif smile.gif

dmaxstu
09-25-2002, 17:22
Please tell us where these filters are located. Thanks Stu

BadDog
09-25-2002, 17:28
They are in the heater/AC ductwork under the glove box. There was a link to a pic posted here a couple of weeks ago (or less). Looks like it's easy to get to, just fits in a vertical slot in the housing and comes out directly toward the passenger seat...

hammer
09-25-2002, 18:23
To All Who want to check and change inside air filters.There are two small ones in the compartment right in front of the passengers side.there are 4 screws that have to be removed & the worsed one is right under the radio hidden by the console.Kinda feel & find thing.The filters are about 6"x8" square.The air is pulled from the outside through these first then into the cab for cleaner air.I couldnt beleive how dirty mine were.My mechanic told me to check them every 6 mo. or if Im in dirty conditions every 3 mo. Hammer smile.gif smile.gif

deerhunter7
09-26-2002, 08:12
On 8-22 I posted that these filters are washable .

Speedy
09-26-2002, 09:25
A little hint when changing the filters. Do NOT remove the screw that is located under the radio. Just loosen it, and the plastic cover will fall down far enough to remove the filter.

If you remove the screw under the radio, and you have a center console it is nearly impossible to get it put back! If you don't have a console, probably not an issue.

Changed mine at 15k miles, and it was very dirty. You can get these at Napa, or other parts stores in a two/box for reasonable.

txguppy
09-28-2002, 19:20
Just changed mine today at 22K, YUCK. :eek: :eek:
They come in pairs. Mine were Wix #24805, $15 from O'Rielly. As stated above, DON'T remove the screw nearest the console, the cowling will pull away enough to swap out the filters.

txguppy

56Nomad
06-06-2003, 16:12
What am I missing.....? I can't find this removable panel. The owners
manual p 6-21 shows it under the glove box. I find nothing. Do I need
to remove this larger lower plastic shield to access the passenger
compartment air filter. Also the manual says (If Equipped)?? :confused: http://members.cruzio.com/~quailman/Filter_.jpg

DmaxMaverick
06-06-2003, 16:25
You're looking right at it. It is the large "pan" cover at the bottom, from under the center to just about all the way to the door. Look for the recesses with the screws in them. The "pan" drops down after all the screws are out. There will be another screw inside that will let you remove the narrow cover over the filter slot. There will be 2 elements in there, side by side. Remove the rear one first, then slide the front one to the slot. If you have shop air, blow it out, or get in there with a vacuum and clean all the dust and debris that collected.
Good advice that the far left screw one only be loosened and not removed. I still have that screw in the glove box and will put it back in later, when I develope more patience.

chipper
06-06-2003, 16:32
Yep, its above the large plastic shield. however, the L. side of this shield is the PITA to get the screw out, & it is not necessary to get the shield completely down. Just lower the P. side (2 screws) & it will be right there. The retainer plastic runs fore & aft. There are pic of this on TDP,use the search. There are 2 parts, pull the rear one down & slide the F. one back & down.

56Nomad
06-06-2003, 16:48
I found only one filter..... is there other one in this area??
http://members.cruzio.com/~quailman/HowManyFilters.JPG

[ 06-06-2003, 05:31 PM: Message edited by: 56Nomad ]

pinehill
06-06-2003, 18:22
The second one is right behind the one you've already removed -- the two are installed edge-to-edge. Catch the second one with a bent paper clip to pull it toward you.

Toroflow
06-06-2003, 20:33
From what I understand, the 2003's no long have this filter.

cowboywildbill
06-06-2003, 21:34
Do all of the 2002's have these filters? I thought they were an option. I didn't know I had them. Please let me know.

56Nomad
06-07-2003, 00:00
pinehill,

Thanks. I've now cleaned them both and
tomorrow they go back in the truck.

I thought all the 2002 trucks have them.
Not sure about the 2003 models

Dmaxducker
06-07-2003, 08:44
If anyone knows whether the 2003's have these filters I'd like to know. Otherwise, I'll pull out the pan and see if they are there on mine.

56Nomad
06-07-2003, 08:53
Dmaxducker,

I'll bet you have um. Let us know.

Hound
06-07-2003, 09:39
Dmaxducker, If my memory serves correctly someone said that the filters were not in the 2003 model but the compartment is there. Worst case is that you could spend the $20.00 or so and remove 3 screws and find that they're not in there and put your new ones in. The person that said the filters weren't in the 2003 models may have been in about the same situation that I had with my apparently "optional" ashtray lightbulb that wasn't included in my purchase price. :D

chipper
06-07-2003, 09:48
Cowboy,
If you have A/C you probably have filters.

rtquig
06-07-2003, 13:04
On my 02 Silverado, the filters were listed on the sticker as an option, but I ordered the truck and never saw that option. Must be they just come with the A/C. My wifes 02 Burban didn't list them as an option, but sure enough they were there and needed to be changed.

wild bore
06-07-2003, 16:14
I have an 02 and after reading this post, I thought I must have them. I went out just now and took the cover down, I looked all around and up inside. I don`t think I have any filters. :confused:

FirstDiesel
06-07-2003, 19:03
Wild Bore

After you remove the larger cover you need to open the access panel to get the filters out. My 02 had them and their was nothing listed on my truck about having any option. I think all A/C equpipped 01's and 02's have them. Think I read 03 are optional.

ccds
06-08-2003, 17:29
2003's don't have the filters.

here is a "how to" if you want to take a look at this link:

http://www.gm-trucks.com/IAR_cabfilter.shtml

smile.gif

[ 06-08-2003, 05:35 PM: Message edited by: ccds ]

Dmaxducker
06-08-2003, 18:17
ccds,

Does that mean the 2003's dont have the space for them? Or there is a space just no filters installed? I took off the pan but was looking for a horizontal plate not a vertical one. Anyone didnt find what I was looking for so I reattached the pan figuring there were no filters.

wild bore
06-08-2003, 20:32
Well I found my filters today and cleaned them,they were pretty funky. I hate to think of what the insides of my last trucks ducts would look like.

ccds
06-09-2003, 05:54
Dmaxducker:

there is no space for them in the 2003's

2003's did away with the cabin filter system.

smile.gif

ACCRASH
06-09-2003, 07:50
I work at the plant that builds the HVAC units for these rigs so here's what I know. Early 2003 models have the cavity and access panel, but no filters. Dealer option on these trucks. Later 2003 models, the plastic was retooled and no longer have the access panel. Cavity is still there, but no access. All 2001 and 2002 should have filters from the factory. The engineers tell me they did away with them because people weren't changing them. Hope this helps.

RichBailey
06-09-2003, 08:12
Well, after reading these posts I decided to pull my filters are replace them.

Wow, GM sure did themselves proud with this design. Not only is servicing these filters difficult, but after you R&R the filters a few times, I doubt that the little stalagtite mounting pads will hold the screws.

The design team should be forced to change out these filters the rest of their careers. :mad:

And then the GM coup d'grace...rather than fix the problem when they redesign the airbox, they eliminate the filters.

BTW, I decided not to replace the filters.

chipper
06-09-2003, 11:55
So now, the evaporator core catches all the c**p that comes in & reduces your airflow over a period of time. Mine, at 25,000 was loaded with bugs.