PDA

View Full Version : Automatic Headlights Override!

jj
12-13-2001, 20:58
Okay perhaps I am slow and everyone has already figured out that if you quickly toggle the dome light override switch that it overrides the automatic headlights and turns off the headlights while the truck is parked and running...toggle again that they come back on auto! Cool eah!

Chris N5CWM
12-13-2001, 21:11
They can be controlled by pressing the dome
override repeatedly until you hear a chime. Turns off the DRL (daytime running lights) as well as giving you full control of all the lights, instead of being forced to have them on all the time (prob designed for women by
women).

The owner's manual mentions it somewhere. http://www.62-65-dieselpage.com/ubb/smile.gif

-Chris
2001 Yukon XL 2500 4x4 Vortec 8100

[This message has been edited by Chris N5CWM (edited 12-13-2001).]

Buck
12-14-2001, 13:24
Go to www.truckautoaccessories.com (http://www.truckautoaccessories.com) they have a auto headlight override switch. It goes next to the air bag key switch. I had one of these on my '99 Silverado. when connected it will light up with dash lights, when button is pushed DRL's and headlights won't turn on. Only the headlight switch will turn on the park/headlights. It is really slick http://www.62-65-dieselpage.com/ubb/smile.gif

AzKevin
12-14-2001, 14:37
Unfortunately, overiding the daytime running headlights also disables the dome light. On top of that I need to override my DRLs evertime I start the engine. Geez, you'd think the designers could have a bit more common sense than that.

------------------
'01 Silverado 2500HD Dmax/Allison Ext 4x4 SB - "I drive a 2500HD"

cc1999
12-14-2001, 19:44
If you are like me and do not like the DRLS then you can turn them off permanently by pulling the fuse in the fuse box under the hood it is clearly marked DRL. Doing this will allow the rest of the auto lighting fetchers to continue to function.

------------------
2002 white GMC crew cab duramax, K&N filter 16X8 eagle wls. 275/70/16 BFG AT ko tires

AzKevin
12-14-2001, 22:43
cc1999,

Thanks for the advice, I think I'll remove that spare fuse also.

------------------

DmaxMaverick
12-15-2001, 01:57
If all you want to do is disable the headlights/DRL during start up, just apply the E-brake a notch or two. It will keep the lights from coming on until it is released.

wolfie
12-15-2001, 17:59
I must be missing something... Why does everyone want to disable them? they are only little lights next to the parking lights and only come on when it's in gear... what are they hurting?

GMFAN70
12-15-2001, 20:54
Often when I'm pulling my trailer on the interstate and pass an 18-wheeler in heavy taffic the driver will flash his lights when I'm clear. I like to be able to return the favor to all the other truckers. With DRL I'm not sure it works. No DRL and I can do it. When I have turned them off and do the flash thing I frequently get a "thank you" response from the trucker. My 2 pennies on why?

Captain Mal
12-16-2001, 09:35
GMFAN70,

You can leave the DRL's on and still "flash". If I pass a truck that flashed to let me know I'm ahead enough, my 'thank you' is just a touch on the EMERGENCY FLASHER button for a couple cycles of the turn signals.

For a front response to those that passed you, do a couple of light pulls on the high beam. This flashes the high beams without setting them, even with all the lights off.

Nice to hear of your courtesy on the road. There are so many idiots out there, both 18 wheels and 4/6.

GMC '01 D/A ext. 4x4

Kennedy
12-16-2001, 09:36
Personally, and it may be possible, I'd prefer NO DRL (pull fuse) AND switchable headlights between auto/manual! The auto IMHO should also be able to switch between activating with key AND activating when engine starts.

I'm sure it can be done...

------------------
John Kennedy
www.kennedydiesel.com (http://www.kennedydiesel.com)
John@kennedydiesel.com
2002 Chev. K2500HD Dmax/Allison Crew Cab Long Bed Pewter/Tan LT Loaded on the truck and on the way!
1996 GMC K2500HD 6.5TD Ex.Cab LWB 260+ Rw H.P.
1984 K30 SRW 6.2NA Headers and custom 2 into 1 exhaust FOR SALE
'01 FXDWG Black/Chrome Yellow (2 into 1 Thunderheader <naturally>) (100+ RwHP)
"If I had to explain, you wouldn't understand"

Turbo Al
12-16-2001, 09:39
I like to do the same as GMFAN20 and flash the cargo light a couple of times when not towing. It's been a law up here (Canada) for about 10 years that all cars/trucks have DRL's.

oldman&truck
12-16-2001, 21:54
Some great features on these trucks but the auto headlights is not one....hate this one.. I back my truck in my garage and lights always come on before I shut off even if the sun is shining. Do not like for lights to come on before truck is started..I know about setting e-brake but if I release brake before moving out of garage, the lights come on (very annoying). Want to permanently disable. The fuse pulling is only for drls, right ??? The drls are probably a good safety feature. Is the only option now to disable, the switch mentioned by Buck or have I missed something ? I also like to think that I am smart enough to know when I need to turn headlights on ! HELP before I take a baseball bat to that little sensor on the dash..
note: also pull trailer and flash headlights for safe passing for truckers and others pulling trailers..

------------------
3500 big dually,d/a,
extcab,longbed....
putco boss running boards

AzKevin
12-16-2001, 22:45
If DRLs are a safety feature I'd say save the money and make the bumpers a bit more rugged, the brakes a bit stronger, or the doors a bit thicker.

I saw a funeral procession the other day and I couldn't tell who was in the procession from the late model GM DRLs.

------------------

SoCalDMAX
12-17-2001, 00:09
Thanks for the tip on the headlight override switch from truckautoaccessories.com. I'll check it out. I drive onto military bases a lot, and I'm sure the guards are used to GM vehicles by now, but I feel really bad when the poor guy has to shield his eyes at night 'cuz GM has decided that I shouldn't have control of my headlights.

Also big thanks to those of you who drive with courtesy. I know it's Christmas shopping season, but the last few days I've had scores of maniacs aim for my front fenders. I guess they figure that since I don't tailgate, it's open season on the car length in front of me, and I'll just slam on the brakes. Beginning to wish I had Pullinpower's bumper!

------------------
'02 2500HD 2WD LS, med. charcoal grey, CC, SB, D/A, locking diff., alloys, trailer and towing pkg. 11/09/01
So far:
Bully Dog Max Power Plug, pillar mounted SPA Boost/EGT/oil press./temp gauges, CD/MP3 player, 4-6.5" component speakers,1200W of Visonik audio power, Valentine One, Invinca-shield, Bed X-tender, Line-X, DeeZee running boards, Husky flaps, Fumoto valve and tinted windows
Up next:
PS2000 propane, Lucerix X-Mount mirrors, 255/85 tires, high idle, Jordan 2020 Ultima brake controller, 2- 10" subs, Power Tailgate Lock, tranny oil temp., rear diff. oil temp., Spare fuel tank?

Wally R
12-17-2001, 13:41
Oldman&Truck:
I'm with you, I'd just as soon disable the automatic headlights permantly. I know I'm smart enough to know when they need to be on. That kit from Truck Accessories is neat, but $89.95 to turn off something that I don't want?? C'Mon really. There must be a wire you can cut or something that you can unplug to disable them. Anybody out there got a quick and cheap solution ?? Thanks much.

------------------
2001 Chevy Silverado 3500 Ext Cab DuraMax/Allison ordered 27 July 2000 Recieved 12 Feb 2001. Hauling 2800 lb Lance camper & towing 8000 lb trailer & lovin it!!!!

INDI-GO
12-17-2001, 13:56
I toggle off my DTRL's when I think of it and if it is a bright pretty day and I feel safe without them. Then when out hunting they get toggled off most of the time.

I also have seen many many burned out DTRL's going down the road. Son in law has had to replace 3 on his 99 Chevy. So maybe turning them off when not really needed will prolong the bulb life.

Heartbeat Hauler
12-17-2001, 17:05
OK get the cheese out 'cause I'm bringin' the whine.....I want to be able to MANUALY switch all my lights on or off AND in any combination. Gadgets are neat but c'mon. My 96 Caprice has a switch that let's me set it to auto or manual....is that so hard? Anybody know how I can run brights, DRL & fogs all at the same time....and before anybody asks....'cause I want to. Actually I want to fry those clowns in the rice-burners that use those blue light specials that cause you to see blue spots for 5 minutes after they are passed you. Probably some dang law says you can't do it.

------------------
2001 Silverado 3500 Big Dooley LS Ext Cab 4x4 Durmax/Allison
"I ain't Speedin', I'm just flyin' low"

Kennedy
12-17-2001, 18:02
Back to my earlier comments, Id like to have my cake and eat it too with a 3 mode switch!

Full time auto on mode:

Auto headlights WITH a manual defeat. In other words, the switch would remain ON and the lights would only come on when the engine is started. OFF on the headlight switch would shut them off.

Manual mode:

Switch controls headlamps, no iffs ands or buts.

Full auto mode: Light sensor takes control.

Personally, the full time on auto mode is the best one for me. I run my full lights on 99% of the time...

------------------
John Kennedy
www.kennedydiesel.com (http://www.kennedydiesel.com)
John@kennedydiesel.com
2002 Chev. K2500HD Dmax/Allison Crew Cab Long Bed Pewter/Tan LT Loaded on the truck and on the way!
1996 GMC K2500HD 6.5TD Ex.Cab LWB 260+ Rw H.P.
1984 K30 SRW 6.2NA Headers and custom 2 into 1 exhaust FOR SALE
'01 FXDWG Black/Chrome Yellow (2 into 1 Thunderheader <naturally>) (100+ RwHP)
"If I had to explain, you wouldn't understand"

PJD15X
12-17-2001, 20:15
Hey Heartbeat; I believe that you are driving a part "Rice Burner" with that "Isuzu". Duramax.
At least with the DRL's on, when someone pulls out and hits you heard on, they will not be able to say that they did not see you. Most people do not even realize that they are on most of the time. A good safety feature when trying to pass someone on a 2 lane highway with traffic coming in the distance. Easier to judge the distance.

I'll leave mine on. You can turn yours off.

Heartbeat Hauler
12-19-2001, 14:17
PJD15X,
Granted my truck has an Isuzu motor, but my reference is to the little cars that run super bright BLUE head lights that really blind me. As far as seeing me, if you can't see a 7000 lb, 22 ft long, 78 inch tall, Summit White dually, you don't need to be drivin' anyway! I don't particulalry care about DRLs one way or the other, I just want control over my lights to run them in the manner in which I see fit, that's all. It ain't like I'm asking for something dangerous like really bright lights to blind someone.....unless of course they do it first..eheheh I like gadgets, but I just don't like uncotrollable gadgets.

------------------
2001 Silverado 3500 Big Dooley LS Ext Cab 4x4 Durmax/Allison
"I ain't Speedin', I'm just flyin' low"

[This message has been edited by Heartbeat Hauler (edited 12-19-2001).]

DSLPOWR
12-19-2001, 21:09
ALL vehicles have forign parts in them. Rice burner Duramax? It's built in Morane Ohio (where ther men are men and thier sisters are scared) It's a joint venture between GM and Isuzu, them GM owns 49% of Isuzu, sooooo, GM actually owns what? 99% then? Anyway back to the top- You can install a diode in the wire that is the feed off of the sensor on the dash, not sure what specific diode needed but it permanently disables the auto-on light feature (won't affect the DRL's) With the resistance of the diode it makes the truck think its on the middle of the desert....

------------------
2002 3500 Duramax/ZF6 speed
LS Interior
Summit white
4x4

2001 2500HD Alli-Max
LT Interior
Extended cab
Short box
Onyx Black
Graphite leather
4x4
295 BFG's
Eagle Alloys
MX7000 lightbar
DeeZee Gold series Toolbox
DeeZee Aluminum Tread Mud Guards
DeeZee Aluminum Tread Bed rail protectors
BOSS 9' snowplow
Straight piped
EGT/Boost guage (Pillar mount)

1994 Chevrolet 2500 Silverado
4x4
9" Lift
35X12.50 BFG's
15X10 American Racings

www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?username=dslpowr (http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?username=dslpowr)

Red Diesel
05-04-2002, 18:40
I have the $90 switch installed in my crew cab. Since crew cabs have no airbag override switch in the center dash like the reg. cabs and ext. cabs, we have a little storage cubby hole. This is the area where the switch was originally designed to go. I have mine under the dash. The switch works well and overrides both autolamps and DRL's. Those of you who may be wanting this switch and have the Automatic Climate Control may want to check with the switch manufacturer since some connections are tapped into wires on the manual climate control switch panel. I don't know if teh Automatic system may have different wires than the manual climate control.

Red Diesel
05-04-2002, 18:51
If all you want to do is defeat the Automatic headlights and don't mind taking your dash apart here is how you can override the system very cheap. Go to an electronics parts store like Radio Shack and get a 1.5Kohm resistor. After taking the dash apart, get to the white and grey wires on the light sensor atop the dash and either remove the sensor or leave it for cosmetic purposes. In any case, place the resistor leads one to the grey wire and the other to the white. this makes the computer think the sensor is seeing light all the time. Some people have found that they have to change the resistor values to either a higher or lower value to get their system to work manually but most have success with the 1.5Kohm. On my 1999 Silverado (Did not have the dome switch trick available then) I used a 15ohm resistor across the white and grey wires in parallel with the sensor still in place and used an 80ohm resistor connected between the white wire and ground. This worked just as good.

hoot
05-04-2002, 18:54
I like the automatic stuff. I get in my truck and go. I could care less if the lights are on or off. I know at night they are on and when it's rainy they are on. I don't do a thing. They turn off when I shut the truck down. What more can I ask? Never touch the switch. I do feel for you guys that have special situations. They should have an "auto" override.

Red Diesel
05-04-2002, 19:57
For those of you who have an extra Grand Sylvannia has a HID headlamp system for the Silverado and maybe the Sierra. It is a complete system with built-in ballasts. Too rich for my blood though.

OldCarKook
05-06-2002, 20:16
Hoot, I'm with you. I don't mind the full auto mode. I ride bikes and we've been advocating daytime running lights on bikes for a long long time. Lights save lives. As for signalling people you pass with the cargo light when you have a trailer on...how can anyone see the light on the other side of that BIG TRAILER!!?? I simply flick the switch which activates my tail lights. At night I flash the whole system. No big deal.

I have found that GM did short us quite a bit on the trucks relative to other GM cars and conveniences that they have used for many years. I had a D**** truck prior to this had radio controls in the steering wheel, the on board computer w/mileage, fuel distance to empty, and other useful conveniences. None of these were available as options in my D/A CC. I really miss them. I had them in 1994 Pontiac 6000 STE 18 years ago! You mean 18 years later they haven't figured out how to put them in a truck steering wheel? hmmmm.

mdrag
05-06-2002, 21:21
Tastes great!!!Less Filling!!!

OldCarKook,

Can't help with the auto light feature..but the steering wheel audio controls is doable:

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=516441&uid=157168

:D

thechevyhdman
05-06-2002, 23:34
Guys if you wait patiently for me to try and find the note I wrote, a buddy and me figured out how to jump the relay for it. It was in the body control module under the steering wheel and it had to be jumped to another control module, dang I wanna say like bus 41 to somethig in the BCM. We tried everything, tried getting around Tech II to shut them off couldnt do it, it always messed up something else. We cut the wire to the sensor on the dash and that made the headlights stay on all the time. thought about leaving the parking brake down a notch but then wed have to unhook the chime maker whoosy doosy thing. Give me a day to look for it. When we got our first silverado in 99 the dealer was going to do it but GM said they could only give the directions to unhook it to police departments or police vehicles etc. Tweaks me a bit, you spend 40,000 on a truck and cant even shut your headlights off when you want to.

JimWilson
05-08-2002, 07:10
thechevyhdman; okay, let me know when you have the wiring info. I'd love to disable the "feature" that makes the truck think it knows when I want to use my headlights...

konacat
05-08-2002, 12:29
Thanks for all the information. When towing my 5th wheel I will cycle the auto light function off. In CA trucks and trailers have a speed limit of 55mph. Now I can signal to the trucks correctly without feeling so foolish.

hoot
05-09-2002, 08:50
I found this on another forum............
Do this at your own risk.

Listed below are the instructions that I came up with about a year ago to disable the auto headlights on the 1999 Silverado/Sierra new body style trucks. I have had
mine like this for nearly a year and it works great. There is a little work involved, but it sure beats
paying $90 for the little pushbutton gadget from R&D Truck Acc., (no offense Darrell). Keep in mind that I am talking about the automatic headlights (twilight sentinel) and NOT the damn DRL's!!!
Yes, I already know there is a fuse for the DRL's under the hood or you can just pull the bulbs out. Good luck and let me know if you
need any help. Later,

For those that don't know, the twilight sentinel is the feature that automatically turns on the
headlights and taillights when it starts to get dark outside. I like this feature alot, but I
wanted to find a way to disable it when hunting season comes around. I also like to use just
the amber colored running lights in certain situations. These instructions are for my new body
style '99 Silverado regular-cab, with LS option package.

There are two ways that you can do this procedure. The first one I have listed is how I did it
the first time not long after I bought my truck. The second way I have listed is how I did it a
few weeks ago just to see which way would be easier. I personally like the second way better,
but read both ways that way you will know everything that needs to be done.

Things needed are: One 1.5K ohm 1/2 watt resistor (Radio Shack, $0.49 for a package of 5),
electrical tape, pliers, and having small hands is a plus. A small socket set with ratchets &
screwdrivers will come in handy too. Another nice tool to have is a dental pick. It makes
unplugging the connectors a lot easier.

Here is the first way:

#1. First thing to do is to pull off the face of the dash and get it out of the way. It just pulls
right off and snaps back on, no screws, bolts, or anything like that. It helps to lower the
steering wheel all the way down and if you have an automatic, put the shifter all the way down
into 1st. Be sure to set the parking brake, just in case! Next, pull out the radio, (push down
on the two black tabs that are kind of sticking out on each side & pull the radio towards you at
the same time), and unplug the connector and antennae and set it out of the way. You should
be able to see the bottom of the ambient light sensor that is near the front of the dash,(it has
one gray wire and one white wire running to it). Try to twist the sensor to unscrew it from the
dash, (I had to use pliers from the top side on mine). Once loose, pull the sensor down from
the hole in the dash,(it can not be pulled through the top), unplug it from the the connector,
(not easy), and remove. Don't drop it or it might be lost forever down in the dash
somewhere. Now take the connector plug-in (the one with the gray & white wire) and route it
up through the hole in the middle of the dash for easier access to it. Now you can plug in the
resistor into the connector, (I found that it works best to fold the wires of the resistor over
itself once to be sure that the wires are making contact to the connector), and tape it up with
electrical tape. Be sure to test it out to make damn sure that it works, (hint: Release the
parking brake or else you won

thechevyhdman
05-12-2002, 23:15
Ok that way may work but the way we figured it out was much easier, all you need is a piece of wire. Im going to the dealership next monday. I will ask my friend again how its done. You do have to remove the body control module and run a wire up from there to somewheres else but just wait and Ill let you guys know as soon as I do

JimWilson
05-13-2002, 06:25
Ok that way may work but the way we figured it out was much easier, all you need is a piece of wire. Im going to the dealership next monday. I will ask my friend again how its done. You do have to remove the body control module and run a wire up from there to somewheres else but just wait and Ill let you guys know as soon as I do
I'd definitely like to know that trick -- taking the dash apart is a bit more then I'd like to do.