PDA

View Full Version : airconditioner not cold enough

dave p
04-20-2002, 06:20
with the temp at 88 degrees outside. on a trip on the expressway at speeds of 70+ i have to run the fan speed in the 4th position to keep cool. i have it on reciriculation position and the thermostat turned as cold as possible. the dealer says it is fully charged, and that the air coming out of the vents is cold. all i know is my 98 chevrolet truck had a much better airconditioner, you could keep cool in any weather with out having to run the fan speed on such a fast position. is any one else having the same problem? dave p

2K2AD
04-20-2002, 06:55
Dave,
I too, thought this was a problem. If you compare the performance of the A/C with my 97 gasser, the new truck doesn't seem to work as well. We had our first couple of warm days here (90s) and I was pleasantly surprised. I had to run it on high recirc for about 15 miles on the highway, then it seemed to get progressively cooler. I can run mine on one or two (window cracked a bit) and it does great. I have a freind with a 2000 and his has a HEPA filter under the passenger side dash that gets dirty every season. His AC won't blow well until its changed. I do not know if our trucks can be similarly equipped, but it is worth investigating. I think his was a factory option. Not much help, I know. Good luck.
Kevin

csimo
04-20-2002, 08:20
What color truck do you have? A/C is VERY important to me and I did my test driving in the peak of the summer heat last year. I found that the A/C works fine in the light colored trucks, and is not acceptable in the dark colored trucks. I bought a Pewter colored truck (along with about 3/4 of everybody else is seems) and mine works fine.

My brother has a dark blue truck (nearly the same as mine except for some very minor features) and his A/C won't keep up and we haven't even hit the hot season yet here (near St. Louis). So far we've only hit 94 degrees.

It's all in the color. Put your hand on a white truck in the hot sun... you can keep you had there all day, but try it on a black truck and you end up in the hospital.

mackin
04-20-2002, 10:29
dave p,

Mine works real good......Black truck also........Bring it in try and get them to recharge under warranty the should........You should also one or twice a month put the air on to keep all the seals and such pliable......Even in the winter. So I've been told......Mine gets my wifey's, well, you know, hard..She's always complains turn it down or off......
MAC :D :D

Timberline
04-20-2002, 10:45
I have a black truck also and have had no problems with the air conditioner in fact it will will get cold enough on the #2 setting that I will have to temper the air by turning the knob to a warmer setting.

dave p
04-20-2002, 14:45
my truck color is summit white. at 88 degrees ouside and on a 130 trip on the expressway at 70+ miles per hour empty, i should not have to run the fan speed on the 4th position. if i have to i will take it to my own guy and have it recharged. why is it the dealers act like any thing they have to do under warranty is coming out of there wages? dave p

pontiac_m18
04-20-2002, 17:13
HI DAVE & did you get the frozen foot fixed?? You saw my "BABY" last week & I got the "limo glass" installed when I got the rhino-liner. I drove through Pa. & N.Carolina & S. Carolina withe the temp. in the 95 area,last summer The truck was cool all day & I had A/C off & rec.air on #2 That was it!! Love that "LIMO GLASS" Howard :D :D :D

OilMan
04-20-2002, 18:42
My 2500HD is white and has an awesome A/C.

I have not had a truck with this good of an A/C since my '89 Chevy pickup, and it used real freon.

battmain
04-20-2002, 18:58
Dave P wrote:
"...i have to run the fan speed in the 4th position to keep cool."

Dave, I have 2001 and have no problems in South Florida. The rear view temp guage has hit 90 a few times since February and I've had no problem. I also have a dark colored truck. As another post mentioned, might want to take a peek at the filters under the dash. I pulled mine out to take a peek and they were a lot of leaves in there.

Brian

shft22
04-20-2002, 20:41
My truck is a White crewcab, I did Tinted the front windows to match the rears, but even before then I never had to run the AC fan higher that the #2 position. On my drive from work usually I get the Sun from the front and the litter display in the mirror is in the mid to high 80's. So much for winter time.......... :cool:

stretch
04-21-2002, 04:16
I have a black truck and on a 98 degree day it gets very cold inside and you need to set it lower/warmer. What is the discharge air temp. ? I think you should be in the 42-47 degree range if not colder. If it's not there, force-fully persuade the dealer to rectify the problem or find a more cooperative dealer and definetly file a complaint with GM about there ineptness. tongue.gif

odoh
04-21-2002, 10:13
While I'm no expert on this subj but do recall several posts re underthedash air leaks. Could this be a causitive factor? Understand for those reporting, the dash had to be completely removed to repair. ~ odoh

[ 04-21-2002: Message edited by: odoh ]</p>

SoCalDMAX
04-21-2002, 14:05
dave p,

It sure sounds like your A/C isn't working right. Mine will blow ice cubes with A/C on, fan on 1 or 2. In recirc, A/C off, very cold air even with a charcoal grey truck and window tint.

I'd take it in and insist they find the problem, or switch to a better dealer. I'm anticipating spending some time in the desert idling, so I added some insulation to the A/C hoses for more efficiency. Click on truck pictures to see. Neoprene insulation, cost about $5 for the works.

I developed this mod after watching my Mustang overheat and A/C quit in heavy traffic in Honolulu, HI. Switched to electric fans to fix overheating prob, insulated A/C lines (ran right next to headers, duh!). Air temp from vents dropped from about 56* to around 40-42*.

Hope this helps, regards, Steve