PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Fluid Level Reading?

Trucker Tex
04-21-2002, 10:48
Something strange about transmission fluid level checks on 2002 HD. I've checked the fluid level any number of times now (following check procedures to a "T") and something seems curious. The level is always approximately the same when checked both hot and cold. On a cold check, the level reads almost into the "hot" marking. On a hot check, the level is about mid-way into the "hot" marking.

I've changed the fluid once, draining a little over 7 quarts from the shallow pan. Filled filter and then replaced a little over 7 quarts. Should have fixed any factory or dealer overfill condition.

Is this normal? Transmission works perfectly, and never gets over 125 degrees (no load). I had a small fluid drip problem which the dealer claimed to not be able to replicate. It's still dripping, but much less now. All lines are tight.

Does anybody's actually ever read in the "cold" range? :confused:

gdblake
04-21-2002, 12:14
My truck has 500+ miles on it--1-1/2 wks old. The second day of ownership, it was leaking transmission fluid in the driveway. I took it back and they found(and tightened) a loose coolant line. Leaking, again, day 3. Returned, again, and a small drip was noted from a bolt on the bottom of the transmission, just right of the filter. The service dept. didn't know the purpose of this fastener, but backed it off, wrapped it with teflon tape, and re-tightened it. This stopped the leak. You might check yours in the same area.

mdrag
04-21-2002, 12:23
Trucker Tex,

I would not consider 125* as being 'hot' enough for a true hot tranny fluid check. IIRC, the normal operating temp should be at least 150*.

Either your tranny temp gauge is reading low or you are not checking the fluid when it is hot enough. My '01 3500 CC D/A will read between 150* - 200* unloaded when the tranny has reached operating temps.

You didn't mention if you are using Transynd or another synthetic ATF - this would likely lower the tranny temps. I switched to Transynd and the deep pan a few weeks ago and have noticed the tranny temps are down overall, but I can get to almost 200* if pushing hard.

LA DMAX
04-21-2002, 13:38
Trucker, I agree with mdrag. Two weeks ago I had my tranny serviced at an Allison distributor, the tech servicing it read the temp on my guage, which read 130*, he said that 150* is what is considered a hot reading. My tranny does tend to run cool 130-140* if I'm on the highway just crusing, but in the city with more shifts and if I'm up in the mountains it gets into the 180's. Hope this helps.

LA DMAX

Trucker Tex
04-21-2002, 15:01
Thanks all, good information. But the oddity is not the hot reading. I've never seen the gauge on this thing at 150, even after high speed highway runs, but then I haven't gone through a Texas summer with it yet.

What I can't understand is the "cool" reading, which is always up in the "hot" area even when totally cold.

I am running Transynd (actually about a 60/40 mix since I've changed once with about 7 quarts).

[ 04-21-2002: Message edited by: Trucker Tex ]</p>