PDA

View Full Version : Question for SteveO or Turbo Al

Ohio Duramax
04-21-2002, 16:13
I just finished installing an Allison deep pan longer filter and Transynd on my 2001 HD. Immediately after starting the truck up to do a cold check I noticed a Humming noise coming from the transmission. This noise was not there with the shallow pan. Any idea what could be causing it? Mark

Turbo Al
04-21-2002, 18:47
Hi Mark and welcome to the forum.
Steve O or Big Al ???
I still have the original shallow pan.

[ 04-21-2002: Message edited by: Turbo Al ]</p>

BobW
04-21-2002, 22:09
Mark, what is the difference in depth of the deep and shallow pans. I want to take a look under my truck and think about the off-road vulnerability of the deep pan before committing to one.

SoMnDMAX
04-21-2002, 22:33
Did the noise go away after the truck ran for a while? If it did, that sound was probably the pump priming up again.

If it's still there, I would guess that you could have either installed the filter incorrectly or the filter seal was damaged upon filter installation, causing air to be drawn into the pump. If that's the case, you'll have to drop the pan again.....

Is the fluid level correct? An underfilled transmission could cause that noise as well.

My $.02

[ 04-21-2002: Message edited by: SoMnDMAX ]</p>

SoCalDMAX
04-21-2002, 23:49
Mark,

I second everything SoMnDMAX said. I also installed my Allison deep pan this weekend and heard no humming or whining afterwards. I hope it went away after a short while.

I don't know why, but I ALWAYS spill fluids when I work on the truck. Even with a Fumoto valve, I'll spill from the filter or something.

This time I was gently twisting the tranny pickup assy. off and it popped off and soaked my Polo shirt (dumb idea) and hair. I just happened to remember a few adjectives I learned in the Navy, but had forgotten for a while. Oh well, I needed a shower anyways! ;)

The good news was even though I've been driving it like a 16yr old with a Mustang, the fluid was crystal clear, pan was clean, everything looked great inside.

Regards, Steve

Ohio Duramax
04-23-2002, 07:54
Bob
The Deep pan is 4 7/16" Deep.
SoMnDMAX
The noise did not go away after driving the truck. I pulled the pan back off to check and everything looked good. I then installed a new deep suction filter. (because I was sure that was causing it) Put the whole thing back together filled it with fuild and started the truck only to find out it was still humming. :mad: Did about a 40 mile drive to warm the fluid and do a hot check and the fluid was right there and so was the humming. Any Idea's? Mark :confused: