PDA

View Full Version : Upgraded rocker assemblies on Ebay?

RT
07-27-2005, 18:06
Maybe this has been covered before but has anyone seen these on Ebay?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GM-GMC-CHEVY-6-2-6-5-DIESEL-ROCKER-ARMS-REMAN-UPGRADES_W0QQitemZ7989405895QQcategoryZ33617QQrdZ1 QQcmdZViewItem
Seems like a worthwhile upgrade if you have it apart anyway? Anyone use them? Worth the money? RT

6.542762mw
07-31-2005, 18:39
Im a huge fan of the Portland Engine rockers! That 7 cents worth of plastic is the number one reason rebuilt engines fail! However, why pay so much from them on Ebay when you can contact Portlandenginerebuilders.com and pay much less! I have installed these on several 6.5t in our fleet with fantastic results, many of the engines seem to preform better with them. Plus the fact that peace of mind! This is a good time to actually use gaskets on the valve covers!
No leaks now...

My 7 cents worth!

Mark

john8662
08-01-2005, 07:06
Thanks for bringing this up! I've been wondering about these new retainers on the rocker arm assemblies.

I've been considering a set for my 6.2 and 6.5 builds, I'll give them call and see what kind of a deal I can get.

Truckie117
08-04-2005, 16:53
How hard is it to replace the rockers? I had my pump replaced and when I got the truck back from the dealer there was an oil leak I couldnt find on the drivers side untill i let the engine run and shined a light down near the firewall. I thought I was crazy cause the valve cover was moving. when i put my finger on the spot it was sharp and there was a crack in the valve cover. Dealer replaced the cover said the plastic retainers broke. :mad:and I was lucky to have seen it. dont know what type he used probably the same type not a bad Idea to change them over.

6.542762mw
08-04-2005, 17:11
Not hard at all, the most time spent on the job was the removing the rtv off the covers, after it was clean its just a few bolts and off come the rocker shafts. Be very careful about bending the fuel lines out of the way. Plus find a Fel pro gasket dealer and get the gaskets from them, glue the new gaskets to the valve cover if you would like or set them on the head and put the cover back on. If you use rtv instead on the new covers, you will bump part of it off the cover and get a oil leak, plus then you have rtv someplace on your rocker arms and risk the chance of it making its way in the motor.
After you done make sure you do a oil change!

Mark

john8662
08-04-2005, 17:43
I've got a set on the way for my 6.2L rebuild. I'm still considering installing them in the new 6.5 when I get it.

Price was reasonable, well after you send them back your old rocker arm assemblies..

Price: $80

Then $10 core on each rocker arm = $40, but is refunable when they receive your old set.

Dimsdale
08-05-2005, 05:37
Hmmm.

I was quoted $125 for the set, with the $40 core and roughly $15 for shipping.

How did you get a quote for $80? Should I be calling back?

john8662
08-05-2005, 09:47
No, mine came out to 130 for everything, shipping and all, but it's still cheaper than on the auction, especially when I send back the core rocker assemblies.

More Power
08-05-2005, 10:03
6.542762mw, Bending the injector lines out of the way??? :eek:

If the valve covers and contact area on the heads are clean and dry, using only silicone gasket sealer is the preferred method to produce a longterm no-leak seal. Where people go wrong is not beginning with clean/dry surfaces.

Valve cover gaskets will eventually compress and begin leaking.

The 6.5TD Project engine with close to 170,000 miles - no leaks, no drips.... No gaskets on valve covers or oil pan - just silicone.

JMHO

Jim

[ 08-05-2005, 10:17 AM: Message edited by: More Power ]

Dimsdale
08-05-2005, 10:41
John,

Who did you talk to? Did you call the 800 number? I think I need to make another call and get this straightened out.

Any chance that the 6.2 and 6.5 rocker are different in some way?

john8662
08-05-2005, 12:11
Dimsdale

There are some differences in the 6.2 and 6.5 rocker assemblies.

The early 6.2's used a cast rocker arms, and didn't have the plastic retainers. These were used from 82-84 models. In 85 GM went to the pressed steel type rockers that have the little plastic buttons that we're familiar with. The rockers from 85+ and on 6.2 and 6.5's are the exact same rocker arm shafts and rockers.

For those that have the earlier rocker arm assemblies used in 82-84 models, I wouldn't upgrade, they're a better design.

I can't remember the name of the guy I talked to, but I was billed for 129 total, with shipping to Texas from Oregon, perhaps your shipping is higher because it's going further? Remember, you'll get 40 back for the old rockers with the buttons. I think that you got a quote for out the door (the 125), you will get some $$ back for the old ones... I don't think that the 125 was the starting price then, the 40 core, then shipping.

Dimsdale
08-05-2005, 14:46
Well, I guess I will wait and see. He said they would probably ship on Monday. I would appreciate it if you would keep your invoice handy when you get your set in case I have to do some squawking!

Thanks again for the input and info!

6.542762mw
08-05-2005, 14:52
Yes, a slight bending of the injection lines! I should have stated that earlier but we have done it on fleet of trucks with out issue! NONE and where ever a gasket is available we use it! Even if you do compress a gasket and it begins to leak you can snug up the bolts, you cant do that with r t v !!!! Ps, none of our trucks have leaked with gaskets. As for the cost of the rockers from Portland engine we paid 80.00 each set after cores....

Dimsdale
09-06-2005, 16:02
John8662 and 6.542762mw:

Well, I was charged $180 for the set, with a $40 core, net cost $140. I called and asked the guy what was going on, and they said that is the price, but they would look into it, and to send the cores anyway. I did, and got only the reimbursement for the $40. I guess the result of "looking into it" did not help me in any way.

The better deal is on Ebay. It would have saved me about $18 as currently advertised ($149 -$25 core and $12 S&H). The guy selling them is an employee of Portland, and they know he is doing it. I don't know who you guys talked to (I used the company 1-800 number and got the same guy both times), but they claim there is no way that the cost is $80, so I am screwed. Is it possible that you got some corporate rate? Shipping was quoted as $15, but I shipped them back for about $8.00 (lower value stated).

That being said, they are nicely done units. It is amazing how flimsy the OEM retainers are. Regardless of how I might have been hosed on the cost, the peace of mind certainly takes out some of the sting! They are probably worth even the inflated company price.

Worst part of the job was breaking the bond of the original RTV on the valve covers. I think there is no way a properly prepped valve cover could leak using RTV.

So they are in, and they work. Buy on Ebay for $149 with the $40 core included. Don't call the company.