PDA

View Full Version : Putting in Dual Alts -- Which Alternator?

wizkid
04-24-2002, 12:26
Hi all,

I've put the parts on order for dual alts.

Everything accept the Alternator. I'm checking around for prices at the gmpartsdirect, but I don't have the 8-9 digit # for the alts. I'm tinkin that the ad244 is the way to go. I've also got the price for www.powermastermotorsports.com alt (P/N 48202) it's $383.26 plus ~$20 for the harness adaptor. I kinda choked on that price :eek:

I know alot of you out there have done the conversion, and I'm looking for suggestions on the best place/price for picking up the second alt. I won't be juicing up the naighborhood power grid, just my camper, so I don't think I need the powermaster option, but if the price for a 130 amp is semi-close, I might take that option.
:cool: :D :cool:

GMC D-Max
04-24-2002, 13:01
Check on eBay, too. I picked up a new take-off 130amp alternator from user truckandrvsupply for $69.00 (plus shipping).

wizkid
04-24-2002, 13:49
And Truckandrvsupply has another one listed for $69.00

He lists the part # as 15768830. Is this the same one you got?

Thx, W.Kid

mdrag
04-24-2002, 19:16
wizkid,

I'm very pleased that I removed the PM 200A alt from my '92 burb and re-installed the OEM before selling it, especially after hearing what PM is getting for a new one these days....Even though the PM alt was about 5 years old, I sent it to PM and they completely rebuilt it and changed the regulator to work on the Dmax - it looked BRAND new when I got it back. All for $35. :D

The only downside was that my PM would not fit in the PS location without minor case mods, so I mounted it on the DS. I spoke to PM a few times, and they were going to modify the case so it would fit correctly on the PS, and other posts have indicated this to be true.

All of this still does not answer you original question. The eBay deal looks hard to beat....

NutNbutGMC
04-24-2002, 20:01
With mdrag's unpaid testimony, go here (again); http://www.powermastermotorsports.com/

If you get another, let me just go ahead NOW and say it...... "I told ya' so!" :D

You'll get what ya' pay for, even on flea-bay.

[ 04-24-2002: Message edited by: NutNbutGMC ]</p>

wizkid
04-24-2002, 20:34
I talked to the guys at www.powermastermotorsports.com. They seem really knowledgeable, and I was impressed with them. They did mention that you can get their alts elsewhere cheaper. They want $350 for their unit, with a 1 year warranty. I did some searching on ebay, and found another alternator distributer, that has what I suspect is the same alt for $250. www.4alterstart.com is the outfit that carries it. I suspect they are using EBay for cheap advertising smile.gif They also have the 130A for $200. I still don't have the part number for the 130A that fits the DURAMAX. Even though the $65 deal on ebay sounds good, going for a unit that has been gone through, or in this case, is new has it's advantages. Everyone I talked to has indicated that these alternators are so new, most the units you are getting are new, and not re-manufactured. There aren't enough cores out there to supply the re-builders yet. That's keeping the prices up, unfortunately.

I found the part number for the original 105A alternator, which is 10464438. partszoneonline.com has this one for $187.05, with the core charge. For that, I might as well spend the extra $15 and get the 130A.

As far as ordering stuff on Ebay, I've had good luck with it. You have to use alot of common sense, and quite often I'll email the seller and ask him some questions just to see if I get a good feeling for if he's honest or not. If I get bad vibes, I run like He11 from the deal! You gotta be carefull with ebay deals, or you'll get fleeced!

Anyone out there got the GM part # for the 130A alt that fits the DURAMAX???
Thanks !!!! :cool:

Bmacs
04-25-2002, 14:04
All,

Here is the part number for the Bosch aux alternator (130A)

I used this as my aux alternator - fits fine. GMpartsdirect lists it for $198.04

Hope this helps...

wizkid
04-25-2002, 14:48
Thanks! I ended up getting the 200A unit from www.4alterstart.com. They have the same warrantee as everyone else. They also said that it's built with all new parts. They had the 130A unit for $200, so the price would have been about the same. The 200A is $250, so I spent the extra $50 for 70A. According to my math, the extra 70A is cheap.

I figure when I start the truck to charge the camper batteries, the extra few amps will help at idle speeds. Maybe I aughta hook up the fast-idle for this also.???

Just in case, I'm going to start carrying around an extra serpintine belt, just in case! As you all know, DUNG HAPPENS

Thanks everyone for the input. smile.gif

NutNbutGMC
04-25-2002, 16:10
^....Wiz... good deal.. Glad you got squared away with the alt....... smile.gif :cool: smile.gif

bora
04-25-2002, 16:28
I'm curious why does one need dual alternators?
Is this for backup purpose or some other need.

Thanks

Bora

wizkid
04-25-2002, 17:13
I'm upgrading for a couple of reasons.

1) I have a camper, and 3 batteries, plus the 2 under the hood.

2) 105A, which is the factory setup is barely enough to keep the charge on 2 batteries. If they get discharged, then that's really hard on the alt.

3) With 2 alternator, there's redundancy. If one fails, you will still keep going, unless it's a bearing. When a bearing is failing, you'll hear it if you open the hood long before it fails.

4) faster charging when I start it up to charge the batteries on a camping trip.

5) :D :D I'm trying to keep up with the MDRAGS of the world :D :D

odoh
04-25-2002, 18:39
I suppose that when AlterStart offered me an 130A Ad244 for $125, I shud've jumped on it. redface.gif ~ odoh

[ 04-25-2002: Message edited by: odoh ]</p>

wizkid
04-25-2002, 19:08
If they had offered me one for that price, that's what I'd be getting!

Maverick
04-25-2002, 22:14
"I'm curious why does one need dual alternators?
Is this for backup purpose or some other need.
Thanks

Bora "

I have one 130amp on my 3500. The Warn 8000lb winch will suck alot of juice pulling a car or trailer up on my 51' auto hauler. The second alt would be nice. I have the high idle installed which should help.