PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Consumption Calculation

railbuff
06-01-2003, 15:39
We have just taken our new 2500HD truck for its first longish run as part of the break-in procedure. Here in Canada, our Government, in its infinite wisdom, decided to change fuel consumption figures from mpg to Litres/100km. Probably because of my age, I have to convert these 'heathen' units to 'Christian' units in order to comprehend how much fuel I am using.
The truck's on-board computer can be toggled to display either unit, but unfortunately the mpg figure is based on the U.S. gallon and not the Imperial gallon that is/was used up here in Canada.
On todays trip along the 401, from Belleville to Gananoque and back. we cruised at abut 60 mph and returned an average fuel consumption of 11.4 L/100 km or 20.4 mpg. If this is converted to Canadian mpg's the display should have read nearly 25 mpg.
My question is: Is it possible, and how, to modify the computer chip so that the mpg figures will be based on the Imperial gallon?

James S
06-01-2003, 16:05
Hey There,

You did the calculations correctly. I am not aware of any way to change to computer to read miles per imperial gallon. I just take the miles per US gallon, [3.78 litres] and multiply it by 1.2, to convert to the imperial gallon, [4.55 litres]. Or, take your 11.4 litres divide by 4.55 to get how many imperial gallons used, then divide the number of imperial gallons, into 100. Then convert from kilometers to miles. [1.6 kilometers per 1 mile] Hope this helps.

James
PS, Is your truck a four by four? Just curious as I am getting about twenty-five miles per imperial gallon on my 2500HD, crew cab, four by four, long box with the Leer 122 canopy on it.

railbuff
06-01-2003, 17:13
Originally posted by James S:
Hey There,

You did the calculations correctly. I am not aware of any way to change to computer to read miles per imperial gallon. I just take the miles per US gallon, [3.78 litres] and multiply it by 1.2, to convert to the imperial gallon, [4.55 litres]. Or, take your 11.4 litres divide by 4.55 to get how many imperial gallons used, then divide the number of imperial gallons, into 100. Then convert from kilometers to miles. [1.6 kilometers per 1 mile] Hope this helps.

James
PS, Is your truck a four by four? Just curious as I am getting about twenty-five miles per imperial gallon on my 2500HD, crew cab, four by four, long box with the Leer 122 canopy on it.

railbuff
06-01-2003, 17:18
Thanks for your comments. My truck is a crew cab, short box 4 x 4. Perhaps I should edit my profile.

jlog
06-02-2003, 14:18
if anyone is interested I have a small utility program that will do more conversions than you would ever want or need. It is a small exe file that can be emailed or if you wish I can point you at the web site and you can download it.
john