PDA

View Full Version : ???? Extended Warranty ????

DJ Max
04-24-2002, 14:34
Looking for a little input here. I have 34,000 miles on my 2001 Duramax Crew Cab. Trying to decide if an extended warranty is a smart option. I have not had much for problems with the truck yet and plan on keeping it for another 70-80,000. I have not looked into the details on price or coverage yet. If anyone who purchased one could shed some light on which one is a good way to go with price and coverage, that would be great. Other views on why not to get one are also very welcome. This is the first vehicle I have had with warranty and it has been very nice so far.
Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

bora
04-24-2002, 14:54
I bought the GM extended warranty when I bought the truck.

This was my first GM vehicle ever and figured I wanted the warranty. I think I got the 5 year/72K miles extended.

7 year warranty was double the price of the 5, I figured that I could always get an aftermarket warranty later if I wanted to.

Bora

DetroitBob
04-24-2002, 15:07
DJ Max. Here is what I was offered on my 2002 GMC.
I assume this is for a new vehicle only

GM Protection Plan

5/50000 - $870
6/60000 - $1085
6/75000 - $ 1270
6/100000 - $ 1925
$100 deductible
Towing, road service, rental, mechanical, electronic, computerized components

Hope this helps

BoB

[ 04-24-2002: Message edited by: DetroitBob ]</p>

TXDMAX
04-24-2002, 15:46
Is it a 2wd or 4wd. If 4wd how often will you use it. Warranties are like insurance nice to have if something happen waste of money if nothing does. I did it on mine for the Allison I've heard prices ranging fron $5200 to $6500 to replace. GMPP is the only i'd go they haven't put a surcharge on HD trucks w/ Allisons but rumor has it that they are on their way might go up 3 to 4 hundred dollars. As it stands all 2wd GM pickups have the same warranty price no matter if it is a 1/2 6 cyl manual or a one like yours(except 1 tons thay have the same price as all GM 4wd pickups). Long post like I said I did it mainly because of peace of mind. You'll get some good posts here

ndamico
04-24-2002, 15:50
I Bought a 7 year/100k mile warranty for $1900.00 I only put 77k miles on my 1997 truck, and anticipate driving this one slightly less.

hoot
04-24-2002, 18:12
a

[ 06-04-2002: Message edited by: hoot ]</p>

MABurns
04-24-2002, 18:18
Try www.warrantygold.com. Don't except there first offer, it is not there best. Excellent reputation. Pay by credit card too.
-0- deductable.

56Nomad
04-24-2002, 18:46
You can purchase a AAA mechanical breakdown
insurance policy for your truck with less
than 35000 miles. A 6 year warrenty will
run about $450

The website is at:
http://www.csaa.com/insurance/subsection/0,7871,1005020000,00.html

Much more reasonable than than GM at this
time.

:D

[ 04-24-2002: Message edited by: 56Nomad ]</p>

mackey_62
04-26-2002, 05:27
You reminded me.....
My salesman told me when I got truck 3 months ago I'd be getting some info direct from GM. Not a thing yet. Told him I wanted extended warranty, basiclly he told me don't worry it's in the mail. Did I get sc***ed?
Now will I have to pay more for ext. warranty?

hoot
04-26-2002, 06:50
I was also told the same thing but never recieved anything.

Nomad,

I don't know why but curiousity makes me wonder what the difference is between a $450 warranty and a $1700-$2000 warranty. I can't believe everybody isn't raving about this great $450 AAA warranty that's $1500 cheaper than all the others. There must be something in it that differentiates it so they can do it so much cheaper. Too good to be true?

[ 04-26-2002: Message edited by: hoot ]</p>

odoh
04-26-2002, 17:27
I'm a AAA member. Have been since '74. Found out about their MBI and have been talking to them about various coverage options and $450 is something never mentioned to me. Mostly its $1040 for their platinum ~ haven't purchased yet as my D/A was produced just this week. Is $450 a typo?

Still, my biggest concern is how cooperative are they (beit AAA MBI provider, GM or anyone else) when it comes time for a claim? Notice this site is replete w/reports of dealers not really anxious to even honor their own warranties. What are the recourses? Friend of mine had to wait w/his truck at the dealers for over 2mos for authorization from a warranty provider to replace the transmission. Accordingly ~ he won't buy one today. ~ odoh

[ 04-26-2002: Message edited by: odoh ]</p>

hoot
04-26-2002, 19:38
I'd rather wait than put out $12,000. That's what GM claims a replacement job costs.

odoh
04-26-2002, 22:54
@ $12,000, I can appreciate their reluctance. I'm sure my friends non/allison wasn't anywhere near that tho. ~ odoh

DmaxMaverick
04-27-2002, 00:37
My take on the extended warranties (more like a give)

I waited until I had 32K on mine, then plunked down nearly 2 grand on the GM plan, and never looked back. If I'm lucky, it'll be wasted money (figure out that logic!)
As far as the "other" warranties go, there are some things everyone needs to know. Many of the more popular companies have their own pool of replacement parts. They can do this effectively because they only cover certain parts, and know which ones fail. Believe me, it's their job to figure how they can take your money, and prevent giving back as much as possible. Read the fine print on these policies. Nearly everything is "excluded". My brother is currently going through a legal battle with brand X warranty (email to gmcparts1995@hotmail.com for the name). His tranny on his '95 GMC 1500 destroyed itself, and they declined to pay for the repair. The tranny case split on top, forward of the output shaft. They said that the tranny was covered under the policy, but this "type" of repair is not covered. There was nothing in the contract that excluded the tranny for any specific reason. The tranny replacement cost $1900, more than the cost of the policy ($1100, I think). They would have lost money on this deal. The BBB has a record of dissatisfied customers several pages long, but the company has been in business for 20 + years and continues. They, as well as most other companies, have no appeal process. They said that the decision of their "adjuster" was final. A discussion of the matter with a "manager" at the company indicated that if we had taken (hauled) the truck to their local repair facility (couple hundred miles away), a replacement would have been considered further. There was nothing in the contract about that. It said simply that "a repair shop of your choice" could be used.

The GM extended warranty (the one I got) specifically states that all repairs would be one at any GM service department, regardless of brand if they can accommodate it. Additionally, the warranty is treated as a new vehicle warranty, plus any deductibles you may have to pay. That means no aftermarket (some good, some bad) parts, or "rebuilt" alternators, starters, or an attempt to rebuild a tranny that should be tossed. GM is also in the practice of replacing entire long blocks rather than rebuilding one in house. I don't think anyone can fault a Goodwrench remanufactured engine. Additionally, with an extended GM warranty, the deductible offsets itself for covered diesel engine repairs under the original 100K/5 year and the extended warranty. As far as what is covered, the extended warranty "extends" the original bumper to bumper. There were no other exclusions.

At any rate, I have never recovered my money from an extended warranty. I call that good fortune, not a rip-off. I know several people that wish they had one after it was too late.

Well, that's all I have to say about that!

NutNbutGMC
04-27-2002, 18:03
^...Mav, very good perspective and well stated. I have researched and read the fine print of the given recommendations around town. You're right on the money. I was very surprised to see how much they DID NOT cover.

SledZep
04-27-2002, 19:55
Extended warranties are insurance for your peace of mind. No matter what you pay, if it is not there when you need it you loose. When I finally get employed again (been a looong year) I will buy the GM. Yes they can still turn stuff down, Ford did it on my ranger. I bought the top of the line and "external electronics like mirros were not covered, neither was my arm rest???"
Any way you look at it the GM one gives the most coverage. I will buy it.

SledZep

ryeguy
04-29-2002, 12:41
Hm. My thoughts:
- the engine has a great warrantee on it, I'm happy with that (and none is offered for a longer period anyway)
- rear diff's seldom fail, and if they do, myself and good (mechanic friends) are more than capable to install a new R&P, carrier, etc.
- things like U-joints are wear items and dirt cheap anyway
- the T-case is also an item that will seldom fail under normal use, and is easy to fix (didn't get the electric shift)
- can generally live with or fix minor interior prob's that always occur as a vehicle gets older
- main concern is the (relatively) short warrantee on the transmission. That's an expensive piece to fix.

So my main goal for an extended warrantee is coverage for the transmission. For the cost of that warrantee, and having a best friend who happens to be an auto trans mechanic, I think I'll be passing on the extended warrantee. For $450US, I would, but a couple thousand. Granted, you get more than trans coverage for a couple thousand, but the trans is the determining factor for what I'd be buying it for.

--Rob