PDA

View Full Version : two piece vs. one piece

NEW2DMAX
04-24-2002, 20:26
Does anyone have any new update info on the two piece vs one piece drive shaft. I think I have a problem, w/ no load at take off from a dead stop; it feels like I have slack in the rear end, also I can feel the same bump when I stop and the truck sets back...I have a 2001 SB CC 4x4 :confused:

Derek M
04-25-2002, 07:39
I think the problem your experiencing is the same as we've discussed in http://forum.62-65-dieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=7&t=003197

I believe the problem is effecting people with the dual or single DS. Problem seems to be the slip yoke binding and unloading off the transmission output shaft. This binding and unloading is prolly why we're getting the bump upon stop. On dead starts it seems you press the gas, nothing happens, then there's a hit to the drivetrain and your going.

Mine only seems to do it when on warmer days when I can get the Allison temp up above 150. The hotter the tranny gets the more the frequency of the issue, IMHO. As metal is heated it expands, thus why it seems to happen more frequent on warmer days. Let's that's my guess. I assume we're talking about a very small tolerance issue between the output shaft and slip yoke of the DS.

Anyone with the 2 piece shaft know what's underneath the rubber boot slinky like cover that mates the two shafts together? Another slip yoke?

speedracer
04-25-2002, 17:55
I am taking mine in again for this, first time around they said there was no problem, but there is some clunking going on now that I didn't seem to notice so much before. I have the 2 piece drive shaft, someone mentioned that this is common in Limited Slip differentials. Either way they need to take another look!