PDA

View Full Version : I welded on my truck today!

Alli-max
04-25-2002, 12:55
And it is fine. I wanted the rear bumper welded on, so now it is. Went with a MIG welder (Millermatic 250), so I disconnected the negative terms, and the TCM. Other than it starting out in 5th gear from a standstill, everything seems fine. :rolleyes:

If you are going to do any welding, I would HIGHLY recommend spending 5-7 minutes disconnecting these. (It is on the very end of the frame, so integrity shouldnt be hurt much if ANY at all).

NutNbutGMC
04-25-2002, 16:13
^.....Good job and a wise precaution.... :cool: :cool: smile.gif

sooty
04-30-2002, 10:37
Just talked to a guy at the filling station with a flat bed truck. He had his custom fit rear bumper welded on to the frame, and guess what!!! The frame is already starting to crack where it is welded . Good luck to welding on the frame! Some seem to have success and others don't, so it must be in the welding proceedure and materials used. Jim

JoeyD
04-30-2002, 16:07
I would say the reason for the crack on a frame around a weld is the welder, not the weld.

NutNbutGMC
04-30-2002, 17:09
^... Sooty is correct. There is a proper procedure as well as a proper weld process. The crack has nothing to do with the (average) welder. There is a thread that discusses this in regards to the cross member cluster-phuk when several were wanting to do a weld repair on that issue.

Charles
04-30-2002, 18:25
A friend of mine and I welded a rear bumper on to his truck a couple years ago and have had no problems with it. We also welded on his brush gaurd because the bolts always loosened up during off-roading.

Turbo Al
05-01-2002, 07:54
Alli-max, Thanks for the heads up on the TCM connection, I am used to the old 93 who has no computer.Does your trans have to "relearn" over again? TCM connection is where?
Thanks as always
Turbo Al