PDA

View Full Version : Whats up with these parking brakes that go to the floor??

Duke
06-03-2003, 07:54
I have had an 02' 2500HD and now an 03'. On both trucks the parking brake goes all the way to the floor when setting. I don't trust it to hold the truck. I would hope this is an adjustment issue but I am surprised boith trucks had same problem.....from new. Anyone else have this issue?

johnpugh
06-03-2003, 09:43
My old '99 Z71's parking brake went to the floor from day one, but it held.

My '03 does the same thing. Maybe someone with intimate knowledge of the parking brake system can chime in on the reasons why.

It appears to be normal for these trucks....

Later...

Burner
06-03-2003, 22:42
If it make you more comfortable you could (look under the drivers side passenger door) tighten the cable. It doesnot take but just a few turns to get that strong "holding" feeling in the pedal.

Burner-------> :D

DmaxMaverick
06-05-2003, 02:31
Your parking brakes are normal. They are supposed to be that way. A few years ago, GM, and other mfg's changed the design of the parking brakes. They incorporated a higher mechanical advantage into the mechanism. The result is reduced effort, or that "stepping on a plum" feeling.

Tightening the cable until you have tension that feels "right" will likely damage the system, or stretch the cable until you run out of adjustment. It may also eleminate the travel it needs to clear the shoe from the drum. That extra drag will not only cause additional wear, but could cause excessive heat on the rear end.

The P-brake system on the new HD trucks are amazingly effective. Mine will hold my truck with trailer (about 20K combined) on my driveway, which is about a 20% incline (paved), and my pedal feels like a ripe plum.