PDA

View Full Version : LED lighting for taillens

Alli-max
04-26-2002, 07:50
Are these things that much brighter? I have seen them, and they look kinda funny on the trucks with the clear tail lens (just a personal opinion, dont get angry!), but thought they might look okay with the stockers. Any experience from you guys? Where to buy? What part numbers?

GBurton
04-26-2002, 09:19
Alli-Max
Check out www.jamstrait.com they appear to have one of the best and largest selections of LED replacement light assemblies. When you read the listing be sure to note that they list at least three different levels of brightness. You need to talk to them on the phone as well. Not all of their products are listed on their web site. They have a very bright white LED replacement that could be used in DRL position. It is not listed on their web site. Be for warned, they aren't cheap as the price for hi intensity white LED is still high. Local providers around here are getting between $5 & $6 for EACH LED! They use 12 LED in the hi intensity white LED replacement but if I remember correctly the retail price is in the $35 to $45 range.
If you find other suppliers please share the information. I know that a company called APC sells them but I have not checked for a web site for them.

George

7mmSTW
04-26-2002, 09:33
I have the Jamstrait 1157 red Led's on my '84 with the stock lenses. They are bright, especially for cars who are down on their level. I guess the ricers probably don't like them as they have to see them often. :D I paid $12 for the pair at autozone, and they come with a lifetime warranty against burning out. They just show as a small cirle in the lense but they do throw out some serious light. They kind of make a halo around the lense at nightime.

Later

Seven

hoot
04-26-2002, 09:47
I have the JamStrait LED's in my APC Carbon Fiber tail lights.

Do not buy APC LED tail light bulbs. They do not work in 99-up GM trucks. Trust me. Be sure to specify 99-up truck cause the wiring is different. You know you have the wrong bulbs cause they burn fuses out.

I paid around $50 for four Super Bright Red Led's from Jamstrait.

You also have to buy the variable load flasher from them. I could not find one anywhere else. $25 plus $7.00 shipping. Then you have to send them your old one. They custom make them.

JamStrait is a Christian company. I like dealing with them.

I like the bulbs. They are plenty bright. The only negative is they don't have as much side light as incandescent bulbs. They are much faster though. My tailights are those clear outer plastic with the small red lenses. They look really cool from the back when they flash. They have a very instantaneous on-off and are eye piercing. Not so bright in broad daylight. Over all I'd do it again.

Here's a shot

http://onramp.uscom.com/~hoot/cars/duramax/gmc/gmc4.jpg

[ 04-26-2002: Message edited by: hoot ]</p>

TxDoc
04-26-2002, 18:04
You may want to look at www.LEDTronics.com
Many companies sell LEDs with colored lenses. LEDTronics are clear lenses with the LED generating the color. Read below.

Review:
http://www.gm-trucks.com/ART_LED.shtml

"Compared to any other LED bulb we

hoot
04-26-2002, 19:36
TxDoc

$48 a piece is more than just about anyone is willing to pay and, I'd like for them to get me one of those new electronic flashers for our truck for $13. I researched it and no one makes one for 99-up GM trucks except JamStrait and they take existing ones and modify them.

TxDoc
04-26-2002, 19:57
If you can afford a $40,000+ truck, then $48 for an LED, and the best on the market, is not too bad. Consider some people pay over $1,000 for HID lamp upgrades.

It is all a matter of personal choice. If you chose not to pay a certain amount, great. But, you don't object to the offering of information and choice to those who do?

SDWA
04-26-2002, 21:53
I tried a LEDtronics AUT-3157 in the brake light, it didn't work too well. True, LEDtronics have the side-emitting LED's but the design of the reflector was obviously for a incandescent bulb - all you see from the rear with the LED is the center spot (about 1") with about 6 faint "dots" in orbit around it. The incandescent bulb was much brighter and filled the lens. I would like to try the superwhite LED's in the DRL, but they are $84 each!

Scott

hoot
04-27-2002, 05:23
TxDoc,

I don't argue that paying good money for a good product makes sense. All I'm saying here is I didn't spend $200 on four light bulbs. I spent $50. Judging from SDWA's comments, the LedTronics don't sound much different than what I got.

The JamStrait bulbs are very good quality.

TxDoc
04-27-2002, 13:11
First you posted "just about anyone", and now you say "you". Those are two completely different statements.

I still think it is best to post all useful information and let the individual make up his/her own mind. The reveiwer, said the LEDTRONICS are the best in the business. Having not compared them, I would be real hesitant to say one is just as good, better or not as good.

NutNbutGMC
04-27-2002, 17:51
^..Even though I stand in the unforgiven graces of Hoot, he knows a lot of good stuff. Dollars 48 per unit?? I think not. And dollars 40,000 per truck?? I think not. If anyone is paying 40k, I have some land I'd like to talk to ya' about selling. :D :D
Tax, title, registration and interest not included.

Mack-Daddy, you're excluded. I know how you siphor numbers. I can't win.... :D :D

[ 04-27-2002: Message edited by: NutNbutGMC ]</p>

OilMan
04-27-2002, 19:19
I've noticed the LED tail lights on the new Caddys. Suspect this is the direction vehicle lighting is going.
On the OTR vehicles, LED lights seem to pierce fog & haze better, I have noticed.

NutNbutGMC
04-27-2002, 21:02
^...10-W-40Man, I have noticed the same on the large cars.
Caddys have yet to catch my eye (in general), unless there is a blonde driving it, and then I miss the tail lights altogether.
LED seems to be the going thing.

hoot
04-28-2002, 06:20
OK TxDoc,

Where can I get a variable load flasher that fits my 2001 GMC so the LedTronics bulbs will work. Does LedTronics sell them?

I may not have compared the two but I just read one persons description on this thread and your cut and paste of a review from another site that looks like a commercial to me. SDWA does not sound all that thrilled so thay probably aren't worth $48 bucks a piece.

I personally could care less who buys what. I have no interest whatsoever in any of these companies.

SledZep
04-28-2002, 12:28
One thing not mentioned in the aticle posted is that LED's last a long time primarily because they are off something like 9/10's of the time they are actually on. When they light up they are actually flashing very quickly. I was getting excited about getting some (from whom I do not know) but if it is at all less visible from any angle I am out. I specifically look for amber turning signals because I feel it is better to have them than share a red brake light.

SledZep

Alli-max
04-29-2002, 21:52
TXDoc... we are local boys, but man, $48 a bulb? That is a little harsh!!!

I went to their website, and was going to order possibly, but it is $48 PER EACH!!! Not that I couldnt afford it (nor anybody on this ENTIRE board with a ~40K truck), but you have to draw the line somewhere. Kinda like seeing fuel on one side of the street for $1.25/gal., and on the other side of the street for $1.50/gal. You wont go on the other side because you have a $40,000 truck. Doesnt make sense, especially if you can get a SIMILAR product for much less.

Those guys need to get their head out!