PDA

View Full Version : Buying 5 or just 4?

johnpugh
06-03-2003, 09:06
I have a question for those who have gone to a larger size tire. Are you guys (gals) buying 4 tires or are you buying a fifth one for a spare?

The reason I am asking, is that it is my understanding that you can cause problems with the drivetrain if for you put a 245 sized spare on one corner and the other tire on that axle is a 285.

I was thinking about going larger, but if I have to buy 5 tires, then the asthetics might not be worth it. Besides, the spare might not fit back under the truck.

???

Later....

WOJO 1
06-03-2003, 09:17
I bought 5 when I upgraded to 285's. The spare does fit under the truck but I was not happy with the way spare tire holder held the larger wheel. The cross bar bracket does fit in the wheel opening the right way. I have since removed it until I can come up with something. :confused:

Hound
06-03-2003, 09:34
I put 4 on and drove around with them for a couple of days to decide if I liked them. After I decided that I did in fact like them then I purchased the 5th and replaced the spare.

Cancerman
06-03-2003, 09:58
I only bought four as I will only be using the spare to get to a Discount Tire store to fix or relpace the tire.
Besides with the ugly wheel on the spare, it will not stay on the ground long!

ratlover
06-03-2003, 11:28
If you only get 4 and are out in bfe and they cant get a tire changed or the local shop wants a rear load to change it on a sunday or you cant find one on hand anywere.....you are basicly gambling IMO. I cant have a chance of being outa my truck for any lenght of time so I am getting 5.

If you decide to risk it with this or any vehical remember this.

If your vehical has a limited slip it will seriously cheese it off if you run missmatched tires!!!

NWDmax
06-03-2003, 14:41
Steal one from the front and put it on the back.
No limited slip on the front yeah?

Burner
06-03-2003, 22:37
Ok, let me get this straight. You bought a "TRUCK" that costs well over 35,000 dollars and you

GM Smitty
06-04-2003, 05:09
Yeah....what Burner said!!! :D

ratlover
06-04-2003, 06:58
Originally posted by NWDmax:
Steal one from the front and put it on the back.
No limited slip on the front yeah? Exactly what you have to do. Or if you got a FWD car with some limited slip up there. More of a heads up on any vehicle. I dont know how badly the ABS or auto track type traction controll or all wheel drive stuff would get hacked off.

It also is a bad idea to run a full tread tire along with a mostly bald one for any lenght of time. Any time one tire has to spin more than the other you can do damage to stuff. It aint as big of a difference as having a 285 and a 245 but it still aint optimum.

K1XV
06-04-2003, 07:39
I am a long way from needing replacement tires, but when I do I want to go up to 265, so I am reading with interest.

Regarding the G80, I always thought one wheel had to be spinning quite a bit faster than the other, like 50 or 100 rpm, for the differential to lock up. Am I missing something here?

Also, if you buy 5, and have never rotated the spare (which is likely if you have alloy wheels) you then wind up with a zero miles Steeltex spare to dispose of. As a practical matter, does it have any trade in or other value, aside from disposal in a private sale?

ratlover
06-04-2003, 08:05
For 1 probably not.

The gov loc is kinda a POS and I'm not quite sure how it works. :confused: I know how its suppose to work :rolleyes: It is overpowered way to easy IMO but it makes for easier/cushier driving for the general public. :mad: I am contemplating yanking it out for a real locker. It does worse than the gov lock in my 97 z 71 :mad:

Driving with a tire of a different size makes your rear think it is driving around in circles. Mash the gas and it will act like you are mashing the gas in turn, with a gov lock it might break the inside tire lose, might not, depends on its mood.

Driving in constant circles just cause extra wear and extra heat. With a traction device it just amplifys the situation. There gets a point when the extra heat starts building and things start destroying themselves causing more heat and faster were and it becomes a vicious cycle. Thats why its alright to drive a short distance at a slower speed but tring to drive 90mph for 1000 miles will cause some cool stuff to happen, cool as long as you aint paying the bill.(wich if GM sees 2 differnt sized tires on there they aint going to honor your waranty)

johnpugh
06-04-2003, 08:34
Questions Answered!!

Thanks guys, looks like it will be 5 tires for me (if I upsize).

L8R....

imported_
06-04-2003, 08:59
Why not buy a used spare of the same size if you are trying to save money. Around here you can find lots of really good quality used stuff with OK tread. You are just going to be throwing rocks at it anyways and it just needs to get you home.

NWDmax
06-04-2003, 09:38
I got the picture!
Good point too!
Blake smile.gif

Hound
06-04-2003, 10:05
K1XV, I think one place offered me 25.00 for each of my brand new OEM Firestones. I just gave them to a friend because the place probably would have charged him 75.00 each for the tires that they just paid me 25.00 each for. In all I REALLY didn't feel bad about canning the 0 mile spare as I hated those tires anyway. smile.gif

Jelisfc
06-04-2003, 11:35
I am cheap and happy to admit it. :D I've had one flat in 21 years and umpteen zillion miles and that was my own fault because the belts were showing. Personally I'll take my chances. My labor rate is cheap. If I blow a rear I'll swap a front.

I will admit if you are running really big tires 35's plus, you should run a comparable spare.

johnpugh
06-04-2003, 13:23
As hard as it is to believe, most flats occur on the rear, unless you hit a curb or big rock somewhere with the front. For most driving conditions, the front tires will roll over a nail or screw with no problem, but will actually throw it right into the rear tire. In fact, as far back as I can remember, all my flats have been on the rear tires.

L8R.....

DMAXDiva
06-04-2003, 18:14
Well, I most certainly vote for 5 here, especially since I run 37's...and the angle-mounted spare in the bed looks tooooo cool! ;)

DMD

BassinRVer
06-05-2003, 08:38
DmaxDiva have you seen my tires and rims?

http://www.pbase.com/rjctamu/inbox

DMAXDiva
06-05-2003, 16:31
Hi Robert!

What, no Welds? Just kiddin'...setup looks GREAT!

Can't wait to get an ear-full of that sound system you've got...so when's the next GTG anyway??? SB???

By the way; are those Focals the polykevlars? I had the MB Quarts replaced in the doors of the ZO6 with those right before I sold it...awesome speakers. May have to upgrade the truck eventually...I really do miss that Alpine HU too!

DMD

[ 06-05-2003, 04:38 PM: Message edited by: DMAXDiva ]