PDA

View Full Version : Car and Driver votes Silverado best truck

SoCalDMAX
04-27-2002, 16:13
Hi Guys,

I read a few truck forums and it interests me to see why other truck owners feel their truck is the best. I know most people's feeling is that the one they bought is obviously the best. Some of the Ford owners claim that solid front axle is the only way to go (hey, my kidneys!) and of course the Dodge guys claim that theirs is a medium duty truck and ours is a light duty. (That's why they're recalling aftermarket ladder bars, due to stress cracks in the "heavy duty" frame.) Most of the CTD owners are honest enough to admit that they wanted the Cummins engine, and had to take the truck it came wrapped in. :D

Car and Driver writers/editors get to drive all brands and should (we hope) have no axes to grind or hidden agendas. So it's nice to see they voted the Silverado best truck. Period.

Here's the link: http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caranddriver/features/2001/July/200007_5best_chevysilverado.xml

The article is titled 5 Best, but it's actually the best one in each of 5 truck/SUV categories.

*Yaaawwnn* Nothing we didn't already know, just nice to see the mag writers aren't total hacks. ;)

Regards, Steve

wizkid
04-27-2002, 16:20
They are SOoooooo Confused! The GMC SIERRA is a MUCH BEtter TRUCK then those funny lookin Bow Tie Baby Trucks

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

SoCalDMAX
04-27-2002, 16:59
Is that it? I guess I'm confused, too. ;)

I liked the higher hood line on the Chevy, the wife told me it made my receding hair line less noticeable. Or we matched. Something like that. ;)

Regards, Steve

mackin
04-27-2002, 19:02
It is true.......Not that we don't know it already........BUT From driving around CT,I can report..... There is a CHEVY HERE...... CHEVY THERE.........CHEVY'S ARE EVERY WHERE....... I'm telling you the are droping out of the sky around me>>>>>>>>Duck, there goes anouther one,,,,,,,,,LOL Lot's of gasser's with some D-MAX'ES tossed in.....
MAC :D :D :D

johns
04-28-2002, 11:32
I don't put much faith in the Car & Driver reports. I can't remember the last time a GM truck wasn't picked by them

Maverick
04-28-2002, 11:54
I got the May/June issue of Truck Trend in my hand right now....its hard to type with one hand, I'll put it down. They also rated the Chev/GMC 1 ton 4 door auto diesel dualie long-bed 2wd, as the best in class. They also the Chev/GMC 1 ton reg cab long-bed 4x4 as the best in class. The Avalanche won for best in class 4 door full size pickup. "Pickup????" The Tahoe and GMC Envoy won their classes also. There is a pick of the 03' GM truck and 03' Dodge Ram 3500 on the cover. Looks like Dodge is using LED's out back.
The humming Cummins may have more power and torque for 03' but only time will tell if the rest of it holds together. tongue.gif

Allison Jettester
04-28-2002, 20:47
I just picked up both Truck Trends and Off-Road. They are published by the same company. Interestingly, the Truck Trend editors chose GM over Ford and made special mention of the GM's IFS, but Off-Road picked Ford over GM only because of IFS. I guess I won't do any rock crawling in my $40+K truck and enjoy the smooth ride and steering.

You can't please everybody, I guess.

Off-Road has an article on add-ons in case anybody is interested. Interesting mention of the AFE air filter. I looked on their website and they give some impressive flow numbers, but lacking in other test data such as filtration and comparison with Amsoil. Expensive, though, at $70.00

Joe