PDA

View Full Version : Allison deep pan & filter sump upgrade.

cowboywildbill
06-04-2003, 18:54
Hi everyone. I just put the deep allison pan on my truck. I also changed the internal filter(sump pickup). The deeper pan takes a deeper or should I say a longer sump filter & pickup assembly. I was surprised that the new sump was only an inch longer or deeper than stock. But the pan is only about 1-1/2 inches deeper in the front and about 3 inches deeper in the rear. So I guess it is the right one. I have done many trans fluid changes and the like, but I was surprised at how loose fitting the sump is when I pushed it back up into the valve body. I had to reach up and pull the old "o" ring out after removing the factory filter. So I know that that wasn't the problem. I gave it a pretty good push, smacked it to make sure that it was all the way up in the valve body. Has any one else changed one? It reminded me of the GM trans filters on some of the automotive products, not being as snug as I thought it should be. Anyway I had drained out 7-1/2 quarts including the spin on and drain off from dropping the pan down and internal filter. I added 12-1/2 quarts back. I did it slowly and kept checking it untill it was just bleow the hot mark on the stick also drove it some before I topped it off. It looks like the deeper pan holds about 5 more quarts of fluid than the stock shallow pan did. The allison dealer said tha GM had the shallow pan for added ground clearance in the pickup trucks. And that the deeper pan is really the intended pan for the 1000 series trans. I couldn't see any real difference in the clearence after adding the new pan. If I hit something even with the new pan, I shouldn't be going there in a dually any ways. It really doesn't hang any lower than stock from what I can tell. I have 29,000 miles on the truck and this is the second time I have changed fluid and spin on filter. First time was at 12,000 miles. I was amazed at how clean the old fluid was and that there wan't any debri in the pan or the magnet on the filter. That sure wasn't the case with our Dodge cummins automatic. But then I didn't have to change the fluid often on that, because it got a new trans every 15 or 20 thousand miles. Thank Goodness for that extended warranty. They replaced six units in 84,000 miles. The new deep pan only cost $50.00 and the new sump was $14.00. I also replaced the pan gasket$26.00. But I found out that the old gasket is reusable and I could have saved the $26 bucks. I will let you know if the trans temp runs cooler now when I tow. I will change to transyn or whatever the allison synthetic is called, next time I do a fluid change. The Transynd is $175.00 for five gallons. "OUCH" That is why I am waiting. Has anyone else done the deep pan and transynd change? Let me know. Also let me know about how your new sump fit into the valve body and was it only an inch or so longer. I thought this deep pan mod would help, and certainly shouldn't hurt. More fluid should means more cooling. Now if I could just find a better price on the transynd synthetic !

[ 06-04-2003, 07:07 PM: Message edited by: Cowboy Wild Bill ]

dmaxalliTech
06-04-2003, 20:38
cowboy, i know a source for the transynd, email me

hoot
06-04-2003, 21:11
Great stuff Cowboy.

Next time you decide to do an upgrade, do some forum searches. Many of us have done the deep pan switch, the changever to TranSynd sythetic and discovered the reusable gasket.

Ask questions and search. There isn't much that hasn't been done already.

TEXASTOUGHDMAX
06-04-2003, 22:36
Where do you get the pan? I checked GMPartsDirect and they do not show it available.

DMAX Daddy
06-04-2003, 23:48
Old and new pan/filter comparison (http://www.uscom.com/%7Ehoot/cars/duramax/gmc/allison/allis7.jpg)

I linked a pic from Hoot's signature to here to show the difference. Many have done this mod. It doesnt look like but an inch or so difference on the filters.

hoot
06-05-2003, 05:38
The filter screen actually rests on the bottom of the pan to keep it from falling out. If you noticed it had little feet on it.

Get all your Allison stuff at an Allison distributor that you can look up using the ALLISON (http://www.allisontransmission.com/) site.

dmaxalliTech
06-05-2003, 16:55
TexasTough, I have found a good site to get it, email me and I will forward it to you

TEXASTOUGHDMAX
06-05-2003, 18:26
AXE GRINDER---Thanks!

I think all the Allison owners should review the FAQs on this site. Very Informative!

[ 06-05-2003, 06:42 PM: Message edited by: TEXASTOUGHDMAX ]

TEXASTOUGHDMAX
06-05-2003, 18:28
AXE GRINDER---Thanks!

DMAXALLITECH---Thanks! I will email you tomorrow from home. I'm at work tonight.

cowboywildbill
06-06-2003, 21:12
Thanks for the info. I do remember reading something on the forum a while back about the deep pan set up. I just thought I would tell of my experience. I haven't noticed any different temp readings on my trans since the upgrade, but I haven't towed yet. I was wondering if you have noticed any lower temps. And did you notice any different or lower temps and shifting quality with the transynd as compared to the dexron 111 ? I am just wondering if is worth the money? I am a real fanatic about maintnance and changing fluids. But I know that synthetics are better lubricants. Let me know what you have experienced. Thanks.