PDA

View Full Version : Tool Box & bed cracking

turbojck
01-25-2002, 07:52
Since my truck is about to go out of warranty I took it in to try & get all the little problems fixed. One of the problems is the bed rail is cracking in front of tool box I have. Tool box on truck is same one that had been on my 96 z71 for 5 years. Tool box did not crack bed on that truck. I found out there was a TBS on the bed cracking & there is some part they need to add to bed to fix that problem. The dealer told me he was going to charge me for removing & replacing the tool box. Before I took in shop I had removed everything out of box so box was empty. I feel that since bed cracked & it should not have that I should not have to pay to have tool box removed. (I did not, I just went back to dealer & removed myself) Should have dealer removed tool box & replaced for not cost to me or should they have charged me?

mps007
01-25-2002, 19:11
It's not thier responsibility unless they installed the tool box.
No doubt that it is annoying to have a problem like that on a new Truck. Any thing aftermarket install that intereferes with the mechanics work must be removed - or prepare to pay for the Labor..

Big O
01-26-2002, 13:50
turbojck--
1st concern--are they going to repair/replace the bed under warranty?
2nd concern--I just had the "commercial upfit" (FREE) Adrian toolbox installed. They wanted to put some type of "L" shaped reinforcement on the bed to keep it from cracking because of the toolbox. I signed a refusal to keep it from being done. NOW I AM CONCERNED!
3rd concern--how much weight did you have in the toolbox?? More than 200-250#??

------------------
Otis Alford
'02 3500 LS 6 spd, LWB, CC, 4X4, Dark Carmine, tan interior; with Una-Goose Hitch, Jordan 2020 Ultima brake controller, (FREE) Commercial H/D Adrian Aluminum tool box,
Husky contoured floor liners, Bed X-tender, Ultrasteps,

turbojck
01-26-2002, 14:30
All I think they are going to do is put brackets or braces on & then fix the crack under warranty. I took pictures of the crack if anyone wants to see I can post on my web site. I am not sure of the weight of toolbox. Maybe 200lbs. As I said before this is same tool box with same stuff that was on my 96 z71 for 5 years & no problem on that truck. The toolbox is no different than the ones they give us when we buy our commercial trucks.

The reason I am upset about them wanting to charge me is when we go out to someone

APR2000
01-26-2002, 16:44
Please post pictures of crack in bed. I thought I would skip the reinforcing brackets but will now add them. Thanks.

------------------
2001 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 D/A LS Regular Cab Una-Goose Hitch, Line-X, Westin CP/SS Nerf Bars, Lucerix Mirrors. Took delivery 12/8/00. Virginia DURAMAX plates.

SDWA
01-26-2002, 17:51
I asked this once before and haven't seen an answer: Will GM -give- you the brackets if you ask, or do you have to wait for your bed to crack or -buy- them before that happens???

Anyone with the brackets, what is the thickness of plate that lays on the side rail & box front rail, for the brackets that mount in the front corners of the bed?

Thanks!

Scott

[This message has been edited by SDWA (edited 01-26-2002).]

letsgo
01-26-2002, 17:54
Another body area to be concerned about for those that live in the snow belt and salters, is the 3 cross rails 1"X3" that run under the box by the rear wheels. According to Rustcheck (undercoaters that I have delt with for 25 years) the rails are filling up with road crud and salt forming a perfect rust haven, they suggest hosing rails every few months (I can get a free spray job)

Good Luck

GMC 2002 DURAMAX SLT 2500HD 4X4 AUTO

sonofagun
01-27-2002, 18:24
BigO,

And anyone else adding a tool box or bed cover. If the manufacturer offers a reinforcing system...go for it. These beds are very thin metal and WILL Crack under a tool box or cover load. GM doesn't throw money away on fixes and the bed fix has been out for a while. It is a brace system (front) very similiar to the system that came with my Snugtop.

Good Luck,

Bob

------------------
2001 GMC 2500HD D/A, CCSB,Olympic White, Manik SS brush guard and nerfs, Hella driving lamps, Velvet rides, HD Air Lifts and Compressor,
Snugtop cover, Linex, Yakima rails on cover (mt. bikes), Amsoil 2 stage airfilter. XM Radio. ECM upgrades. One piece driveshaft.Mag-Hytec diff. cover,
43 gal across the bed aux. tank, Lucerix pwr/heated mirrors, Street Pilot III GPS.
--------
1966 Chevelle convertible 396 4SPD (restored)
--------------
Working on EGT/Boost guage,4" exhaust, steering wheel audio controls, Homelink transmitter.
Wish list: Whatever MDRAG does!
GOD BLESS AMERICA and those who walk in harms
way to protect us all!!
http://www.PictureTrail.com/gallery/view?username=sonofagun

Big O
01-28-2002, 23:05
son of a gun--do you have any idea if the warranty would still cover my bed if it cracks, since I refused the reinforcement brackets for the tool box?

------------------
Otis Alford
'02 3500 LS 6 spd, LWB, CC, 4X4, Dark Carmine, tan interior; with Una-Goose Hitch, Jordan 2020 Ultima brake controller, (FREE) Commercial H/D Adrian Aluminum tool box,

sonofagun
01-29-2002, 09:19
BigO,

Since there is a TSB on the beds you should be able to get it fixed under warranty. Truck beds should be able to hold a tool box and other truck stuff without coming apart. I would, however, go back to the tool box manufacturer and have them install the brace. I'd rather go on the assumption that I have the best prevention in place than fighting off a warranty issue later ... given I know that this is a problem area already.

Good Luck,
Bob

------------------
2001 GMC 2500HD D/A, CC/SB,Olympic White, Manik SS brush guard and nerfs, Hella driving lamps, Velvet rides, HD Air Lifts and Compressor,
Snugtop cover, Linex, Yakima rails on cover (mt. bikes), Amsoil 2 stage airfilter. Pioneer XM Radio. ECM upgrades. One piece driveshaft.Mag-Hytec diff. cover,
43 gal across the bed aux.tank (American Tank), Lucerix pwr/heated mirrors, Street Pilot III GPS.
--------
--------------
Working on EGT/Boost guage,4" exhaust, Jason's steering wheel audio controls and Homelink transmitter.
way to protect us all!!
http://www.PictureTrail.com/gallery/view?username=sonofagun

quadrunner500
01-30-2002, 01:55
I have a tool chest, the kind that bolts to the bed floor, below the rails. Not the kind that is supported by the side rails. Do I need support brackets? Does the TSB apply to me?

- Tom

------------------
'01 2500HD Dmax/ZF 6-spd LS 4x4 Reg Cab

turbojck
01-30-2002, 06:24
quad
I have not read the TSB. My problem is the tool box is supported on the side rails & that is what has given away. Hopefully today I can get the pictures posted of my crack. I would still get the brackets (I have not seen what they are doing since truck is still in shop since last Wednesday) if any of your tool box is sitting on the rails. Better to prevent top rail from cracking then get it fixed.

quadrunner500
01-30-2002, 12:19
Agreed. I would like to have the brackets now. An ounce of prevention worth a pound of cure. Still, I wonder if the brackets interfere with my drop-in, under the rails bedliner?

------------------
'01 2500HD Dmax/ZF 6-spd LS 4x4 Reg Cab

turbojck
01-30-2002, 18:04
I just picked truck up after they had for week. I was suprised when I looked at what they put on. The brackets are big black things that go on top of the bed rail & connect the back of the bed to the side. I was thinking they were something that would go on under the rails. I am now going to have to put the tool box back on to cover up these big brackets. I do not have time today or tonight but I will take pictures tommorrow & post so all can see what the brackets look like.

Big O
01-30-2002, 23:49
Mic--does the above mean that probably the dually will NOT have the cracking problem?

turbojck--those ugly braces that you described is what they wanted to put on my truck when I had the toolbox installed. You see now why I refused them. I think that they could come up with something a little more "factory" looking and not quite so "crude and homemade" If the front fenders keep cracking, would they put some big ugly 'scab' on the outside of it, or would you accept it? I DON'T THINK SO!

------------------
Otis Alford

Mic
01-31-2002, 09:17
Mic--does the above mean that probably the dually will NOT have the cracking problem?

Correct...Dually has one piece composite sides.

------------------

3-Fan
01-31-2002, 10:27
I am getting ready to have a spray in bed liner put in. I also have a rail mounted tool box that I use. My concern is that once I get the bedliner sprayed in and when/if my bed cracks, I will not be able to see them under the liner. Should I have the brackets installed then get the liner sprayed in? I've also read that the spray in liners stiffen up the bed so it wouldn't crack. Any help/comments?

------------------
2002 2500HD D/A Ext. Cab, Long Bed, 2wd, K & N Filter, Lund Stainless Cold Front, Black like the #3
1953 Farmal SMV
27' Fleetwood Prowler 5th wheel

BradL
01-31-2002, 12:58
3-Fan,

I thought about doing the same thing - just spraying in a liner, but as I already had some minor cracking on my top rail, I didn't want it to worsen. I plan to have mine sprayed now that I have the brackets installed and the rail repaired.

IMO the brackets are fine, and the fact that you have brackets is of no consequence if you spray an above rail liner and if you put the toolbox on top of the brackets.

sonofagun
01-31-2002, 13:12
3-fan,

If the weak structure will allow metal to crack it will also crack (tear?) the spray on liner. Mic posted the TSB. When you look at the picutes that are referenced (in the actual TBS) you can see the BIG brackets that they use to effect the repair. If you use a on-rail tool box, bed cover, headache rack, ladder rack, etc. I would see if the company you are buying the product from offers a brace. IF the do, use it. If not consider another supplier. It appears that GM has acknowledged the problem, has oked the use of such aftermarket items and is prepared to fix it if it happens to your truck.

Goood Luck,
Bob

------------------
2001 GMC 2500HD D/A, CC/SB,Olympic White, Manik SS brush guard and nerfs, Hella driving lamps, Velvet rides, HD Air Lifts and Compressor,
Snugtop cover, Linex, Yakima rails on cover (mt. bikes), Amsoil 2 stage airfilter. Pioneer XM Radio. ECM upgrades. One piece driveshaft.Mag-Hytec diff. cover,
43 gal across the bed aux.tank (American Tank), Lucerix pwr/heated mirrors, Street Pilot III GPS.
--------
--------------
Working on EGT/Boost guage,4" exhaust, Jason's steering wheel audio controls and Homelink transmitter.
way to protect us all!!

SON OF A GUN'S VEHICLES (http://www.PictureTrail.com/gallery/view?username=sonofagun)

3-Fan
01-31-2002, 14:23
So what you guys are saying is check with my tool box manufacturer to see about any reinforcing, if none, put GM's on, then get the liner sprayed in? Is GM supposed to supply us and install these brackets free of charge?

------------------
2002 2500HD D/A Ext. Cab, Long Bed, 2wd, K & N Filter, Lund Stainless Cold Front, Black like the #3
1953 Farmal SMV
27' Fleetwood Prowler 5th wheel

turbojck
01-31-2002, 15:27
Here is link to the pictures I took. http://www.turbo1.com/hv/Bed_Crack/bed_crack.html

As you can see from the pictures that the part that starts cracking does not interfer with the spray in liner.

I do not know since I took delievery 11/3/2000 if GM would have given me brackets before it cracked if I had asked for them. They took care of brackets & repair for no cost to me. It was after I picked truck up yesterday that I snaped that they had washed, vaccumed, & cleaned up truck inside & out. I called them back & said Thanks, but all that I wanted was for them to remove tool box & replace without being charged $130.00. I do not know if GM has fixed the bed now so top rail will hold a tool box. I remember going to the "power" shows & seeing how tuff the GM HD trucks are compared to the others. I guess they forgot to make the bed HD.

sonofagun
01-31-2002, 21:19
3-fan,

GM won't put the fix on (brackets) unless you have a cracked bed. Hopefully your truck box manufacturer has a brace for you to use. If not see if you can contact BigO's box manufacturer, BigO (this post) says they have one.

turbojck,

Thanks for posting the pictures. Nasty metal and not a pretty bracket. Guess the box will cover it up though.

MIC,

Did you find a new site to pick up TSBs? If so can you share?
Thanks,
Bob

------------------
--------
--------------
way to protect us all!!

SON OF A GUN'S VEHICLES (http://www.PictureTrail.com/gallery/view?username=sonofagun)

[This message has been edited by son of a gun (edited 01-31-2002).]

Big O
01-31-2002, 22:39
The Adrian toolbox that I got is the FREE one the Chevy gives thru their upfit program for commercial use. The toolbox dealer stated that they were now required by chevy to put the braces on before installing the toolbox, UNLESS I signed the refusal, which I did. After seeing this, I was regrettful, until I saw that it(problem) did not apply to my daully.

------------------
Otis Alford

SDWA
01-31-2002, 22:45
That bracket is hideous. And it's inexcusable; why haven't they redesigned the bedrail yet??? Do they think those brackets are attractive? What does it say about GM design quality when you have to explain to people what the bracket is for?

I think I'll weld some angle aluminum to the back of my box to ride on the front rail and take some of the weight off that corner. Sure don't want to have to use the brackets! Ick!

Scott

TxDoc
04-01-2002, 13:45
If the bed broke, GM will give you the braces, correct? But, why won't they replace the bed? Has anyone made an inquiry and received an official reply?

sonofagun
04-01-2002, 15:47
TxDoc,

Unfortunately they consider the fix to be sufficient since the balance of the bed is OK. I put a snugtop cover on mine when new. They use a brace that is much more substantial than GMS and it looks better too.
Good luck,

Bob

odoh
04-01-2002, 17:57
What a cheesey fix!

1. From what I'm reading, I understand its best to apply the braces before an over the top spray in?

2. In that there is a bulletin out on this, doesn't that mean new production beds have been changed to preclude failure? i.e those being built today may not have the problem?

For Son of a Gun ~ Do I understand that the topper mfr knew of the problem and had a remedy ready to resolve for their clients? If so, could one obtain the fix from Snuggle Top themselves?

Thanks guys
odoh

moisheh
04-01-2002, 19:31
Duallies do have a problem. The camper on our 2001 has pushed the front bed rail forward. Never had this problem with the 1996. It appears there is nothing holding the top rail to the sides of the box. My friend has a 2002 3/4 ton. We can grab that top rail and bend it! I straightened mine and will be installing an aluminum checkerplate that will cover the front of the box and tie into the sides. Those GM brackets are the ugliest thing I have ever seen. Shame Shame!!

odoh
04-01-2002, 19:46
Right ~ I'm sure the Ford, Dodge & even the Toyota fellas are laughing at us. redface.gif

sonofagun
04-01-2002, 20:19
odoh,

Snugtop makes a high quality product. Their tops are heavy and can put a lot of torque on the attaching points. I don't know if they knew that GM was making a weak bed frame. GMs fix runs only part way across the bed (window side). The Snugtop runs across the back and then 18" down each side.
If your frame is cracked it has to be welded before the brace is installed. If you are considering a bed cover and go with a Snugtop install their brace. They might sell the brace alone (snugtop.com) if you want to contact them. Some of these trucks have also cracked the bed top at the tailgate end so check that too.

Good luck,
Bob

odoh
04-01-2002, 20:46
Gosh ~ I didn't realize one had to complete what should be a manufactured product. I've noticed that many rifles require a lot of tweaking and rework to get them to shoot streight nowadays. For the last 30yrs I've been mostly involved w/imports and this recent reintro to our domestic product is hard to adjust to. :confused: odoh

Alli-max
04-02-2002, 00:11
in GM's defense, I think they were designed for truck boxes. In that case, you wont see them.

Another way to distribute the weight more evenly would be to add bed rail caps. I bought some black aluminum treadplate ones, and with these as an addition, I dont see HOW it could crack. Sorry, no pictures of the rails yet, but will post them as soon as I get a chance.

Redhawk
04-02-2002, 01:27
According to the Snugtop dealer they went to a bracket because it makes it so easy to install the tonneau cover. No measuring needed and one bracket fits all.

If it makes you feel better my earlier ford box cracked exactly like that after I installed a lightweight ladder rack.

I have the bed rails covered with a plastic cover on my 01 3500. I wonder what's going on under there?

Alli-max
04-02-2002, 08:37
redhawk...

I thik you are fine. The caps will distribute weight over a larger surface area, putting less stress on a single point. You should be fine unless you are REALLY hammering on the rails (500#'s +)

8.1PWR
04-03-2002, 07:54
Odoh the Ford and Dodge boys maybe laughing but they have the same problem. My friend had an F250 that cracked in all four corners at the stake pockets because he had an aluminum topper with a tool box inside. Ford wouldn't even talk to him. They said it was his own fault.

Redhawk
04-03-2002, 10:04
I think I got it!. The tool box you're talking about is mounted across the bed rails. I have a tool and fuel box mounted to the bed of the truck, so when I heard tool box, I jumped to conclusions. a bed mounted box probably won't cause the problems you're having. Sorry about your problem but I think it's a shame that the manufacturers have to retrofit fixes that shouldn't be necessary in the first place.