PDA

View Full Version : Would it be possible ?????

mackin
11-21-2002, 21:36
To from the gents, who know, to get a some what non tech'e understandable explanation to the feature...

=>KICKDOWN
Some vehicles have a

Kennedy
11-21-2002, 23:19
This sounds as though it is for a cable based system whereas ours is pretty much entirely software driven. I believe GM holds all of the cards here. If you were to look at shift points on the Tech 2, you'd see that they are all based on output shaft RPM, and that they will vary as the accelerator is depressed.

I know what you are after, and so am I! Tow/Haul torque converter schedule with Normal mode shift points so we can load the engine a bit more...

SoCalDMAX
11-22-2002, 11:06
It looks like GM is already *kinda* doing this by varying the shift points based on output shaft rpm and throttle input. The only differences are there's no detente "feel" in the throttle and the APP level for a downshift is probably lower than some would like.

Here's a good time to mention this. Any auto tranny has been programmed to try to do whatever it is the driver wants. So based on throttle input, etc, the mfrs try to make it shift firmer, softer etc to try to please everybody. It's impossible. Heck, I'd settle for pleasing one person. ;)

After driving BMWs best 5 speed auto tranny mated to a 322hp V12, I'll tell ya, the Allison is not too far behind. The Ally is trying to be as smooth as a luxury car under light throttle, be tough enough to tow 16,000lb loads and shift firm enough to satisfy all you tire fryin' maniacs.

The BMW has the throttle detente, and I could make it act goofy at will. Punch it at 65mph, it would slam down from 5th to 3rd and if I backed out or played with the throttle, it would hunt between 3rd and 5th, as if to say "make up your mind!" And this thing doesn't have a tow/haul mode or even has to deal with towing a load.

So... as long as I'm decisive with the throttle, the Ally knows what to do. I can't complain too loudly.

Regards, Steve

TXDMAX
11-22-2002, 11:43
Correct me if i'm wrong, but I think GM supplies automatics to BMW. My wife used to drive a 5 series and was told that by one of their svc writers.

[ 11-22-2002: Message edited by: TXDMAX ]</p>

kerry witherspoon
11-22-2002, 18:37
Mackin you have way to much time on your hands ,if you want that much speed,adrenalin try .f-15