PDA

View Full Version : Driver's Side Third Door Rattle-Any Fixes?

TxDoc
06-05-2003, 17:11
Has anyone experienced this and find the source?

I had mine in for new window, new door latches, the whole door disassembled and driven around with a tech in the back seat and still no solution. It almost sounds like two pieces of metal, like coat hanger wires, hitting together. But, at times it sounds like the plastic fascia rubbing. It is not the speaker and apparently not the latch system. I tried some Formula 2000 on the rubber gaskets on the window and door.

I wonder how to tighten the door so it latches tighter? Although, trying to make the door rattle with the main door open, won't cause the sound. It seems to happen mainly on asphalt roads with a lot of pot holes that were patched.

If one door doesn't....then..there has to be a reason and a fix.
Thanks for any ideas or help.

Sneaks
06-05-2003, 17:47
Uh, it isn't a metal "chirping" sound that sounds like it's right behind or high up by your left ear, is it? If so, it might be the darn seatbelt takeup reel in your seat back and not the door. That fooled us for literally weeks 'till I stopped by a Chevy dealership that immediately recognized the problem and solved it.

Sneaks
06-05-2003, 19:24
Addendum: The sound would only happen on certain roads and sometimes when going over speedbumps. It was intermittent and because of the high frequency, difficult to get a direction. In hindsight, it happened only if I was wearing a seatbelt, which is nearly 100% of the time. What had me fooled was I could shove my shoulder against the door and get it to happen. Again, in hindsight it wasn't the door. Dealer marked the warranty service "insufficient lubrication" and it hasn't come back since. Good luck.

TxDoc
06-05-2003, 20:49
Oh...that sounds like what I am hearing and where it is! What did they do to the reel? Lube it, or tighten it? I am going by tomorrow. Thanks so much for the quick reply.

Sneaks
06-06-2003, 08:53
I had my truck in for Allison warranty service (the torque converter would drain if the truck sat for a week) and the chirp was an afterthought. I think, from the service order, they just lubed it somehow.

Husker Fan
06-06-2003, 11:06
Not so fast,

That plastic fascia rubbing noise could be the head liner above the door. Mine does it, and it's aggravating. To check and see if this is the problem, push on the headliner to see if it stops.

[ 06-06-2003, 11:35 AM: Message edited by: Husker Fan ]

TxDoc
06-06-2003, 17:00
I pulled the belt all the way out, so I had tension on the tensioner and the noise is still there.

I can push on the plastic, removeable piece that goes over the liner, and covers the upper rear door latch--this piece is at the junction of the front and rear door. Pushing on it makes the squealing, high-pitched noise. Taking it out and pushing on the roof liner alone does not cause it. I am not sure what to do to stop the noise. This is more frustrating than extracting a broken screw/bolt without an easy out.

I guess the plastic is rubbing the metal, or rubbing the ceiling liner against the metal? I may try a little double-sided tape.

Thanks for all the help.

letsgo
06-06-2003, 18:26
I've had this knock for the last 4 weeks or so, so after reading this post went out and started with the banging and shaking every thing I could, I finally adjusted the lower door sill latch (the metal"O" ring with the 2 bolts) moved it 1/16 inch in (tighter) the rattle has stoped(I hope). When closing the door it sounds more solid.

good luck

king D
06-08-2003, 16:00
on my drivers side 3rd door were it flatches onto the little plastic coated u at the top of the door some of the coating had chipped off and the door rattled and squeeked i added a little electrical tape fixed it and then i ordered a new fastener....jess

letsgo
06-09-2003, 17:20
Well I found another major rattle, the rear seat 3 point safety belt attachment point above the left shoulder drivers side, the metal loop is free floating and was banging against the plastic pillar moulding, 6inches wide by 24inches long, also the safety belt buckle was hanging and hitting the same plastic.

good luck

letsgo
06-10-2003, 16:13
Well I found the rattle this time, lift the rear seat up stand inside and pull and push the top of the seat, the plastic grommet or spacer that is wraped around the "U" braket attached to the body is missing and you have the seat metal finger or slide rubbing against the metal "U" bolt, on the passenger side you can see the plastic moulding that is wraped around the "U" bolt.

good luck

kraemerf
06-11-2003, 12:06
I took my 2000 2500 4door extended cab in for a dealer fix for the squeaking third door. There was a TSB out on it. Sorry I do not have the #. They re-adjusted something in the upper latch mechanism. I had to take in it twice to get it fixed right.

TxDoc
06-11-2003, 18:35
kraemerf's solution was mine! Loosened the three bolts, moved it inboard about 1/16" and it is now quiet, no rattle, no squeaks.

Thanks for the replies and helpful ideas and solutions. I guess there are many sources for varioius noises and it's a good think there are many helpful and thinking folks out there.