PDA

View Full Version : My Truck does not sit Level

DMAXTODD
04-28-2002, 23:14
My truck always appears to be leaning to the drivers side, I also noticed that the drivers side bottom leaf helper spring is almost touching all the time on level ground and the passenger side has almost an inch of space between the fourth and fifth spring. It is the same with my trailer hooked up, exept only the drivers side is touching. Any of you out there had this problem? solutions?

Thanks Todd.

NutNbutGMC
04-29-2002, 05:04
^...Several threads in the forum on this topic.
Have a look-see here ---> http://65.67.237.169/chane/truck/torsion.htm

Hope this helps ya'.

SledZep
04-29-2002, 11:13
The torsion bars certainly raised my truck, But it did not change the fact that the left side is lower. I have a full 1.75 more turns on the driver side and it is still not quite level. I feel that it is not really the correct fix. Maybe it is the weight of the fuel + driver on that side. My fear is that I would have to crank the one side way too far because it was level at the rear too.

SledZep

Wilky
04-29-2002, 11:30
Sounds to me, that you have a bad spring set. Or when the Truck was assembled, they installed different rate springs. Can you measure the thickness of the springs and compare. I realize not any sets of springs are going to be the same, but what you have sounds to be drastic. Maybe you have a 2500 spring on one side and a 3500 on the other?

randym
04-29-2002, 20:18
I feel very confident in adviseing that your only problem lies in the adjustment of the torsion bars on the front suspension which is a problem quite common with the new suspensions but not actually a vehicle defect. I'm sure that your dealership will be more than happy to correct the problem should you not want to correct it yourself, a very simple proceedure. The nature of the torsion bar suspension makes it very difficult to preadjust the components perfectly before they have some working time on them and adjustments of 1/8" to 1/4" on the bars is not uncommon. (If you want to adjust yourself it is better to unload the side you are working on to make the adjustment)

SoCalDMAX
04-29-2002, 23:16
A while back we had a long thread about everybody's truck sitting about 1" lower on the driver's side. Driver and fuel weight aside, (if that little weight made any difference in height, wouldn't GM have raised the driver's side a little to compensate?) my personal favorite theory is that some jr engineer got his angles wrong and indexed one of the torsion bars wrong.

That would explain why, when your truck is delivered, the index marks at the rear of the bars are at approx. the same angle. And your truck sits about 1" low on the DS. The easy fix is to crank the torsion bars up until the truck sits as level as you desire, then take it to the dealer for a free alignment.

My truck is now level front/rear/left/right and rides great, runs straight.

Regards, Steve

Piney
04-30-2002, 09:21
Anybody know how many turns you can give the torsion bars before you need to get an alignment?