PDA

View Full Version : Rust on 3500 Chrome Wheel Trim Rings

Diesel Dad
11-24-2002, 07:53
Just noticed that the metal clips that hold the chrome trims rings onto the wheels on my 2001 3500 are all rusted. They are leaving rust marks on the rims as well.

Anyone else seen this ? Is this covered under warranty ?

Drives me crazy to think that stainless steel clips would have cost another 10 cents per wheel -- typical GM thinking !

BigRedDMaxx
11-24-2002, 16:52
I know just how you feel. The first time I rotated my tires I chucked them dam rings in the trash. I'm not much of a chrome person anyway. I doubt GM or the dealer will give a hoot if they have trashed the steel wheels causing rust. :mad: :mad:

Diesel Dad
12-01-2002, 07:34
Decided to go to the local Chevy dealer on Saturday and get a service advisor to take a look. He said that given the low miles on the truck and fact that it was looked after, he was pretty sure that warranty would cover.

Have to go back next week for the final verdict from the service manager, but it looks promising.

JimWilson
12-01-2002, 13:13
If the dealer fix doesn't pan out you can always try to get rid of the rust yourself. The best solution I've ever found was some triple-o steel wool, which is very fine, and some high-quality wax. With virtually no effort at all the rust should come right off.

Diesel Dad
12-14-2002, 15:44
Took my sad, rusting wheels back to the stealer. After removing one of the "beauty" rings, found that the rust was coming from the wheel, not the rings.

When taking the "beauty" rings on and off, they scratch the wheels, which then rust and stain the "beauty" ring. The "beauty" rings also trap small pebbles and sand, which further scratch the wheel.

The stealer made the shop boy polish the "beauty" rings, which are now in my garage where they will likely stay forever.

Looks like I'll need to look at sims or Alcoas sooner than I throught ...

BigRedDMaxx
12-14-2002, 16:16
That's exactly what happens. The spring clips scratch the paint on the steel wheels which causes your wheels to rust. This is why I left the rings off after my first tire rotation.