PDA

View Full Version : Help! Gauge selector switch...

RSV
04-29-2002, 12:54
Hello All,

Haven't been here in awhile as my health has been bad since I joined about 3 months ago...

My health problems seem to be under control and I'm trying to get back to life as usual and that includes working on the truck... A project I started, but never finished, was installing a set of gauges in my truck. I'm ready to go except for one thing, a selector switch for my oil temp. gauge as I want to use one gauge to monitor the trans at both before and after cooler and also the differential - so, three sensors, one gauge - I tow A LOT and like to monitor these. Before my health took a nose dive, I had found a place online that sold small multi-position dial switches just for this. In fact, they sold gauges and other automotive products too... So, I bookmarked them so I could order them, but found myself in the hospital just a short time later. While in, my computer's hard drive went south while the Mrs. was doing the books so I lost that site and can't find it! Anyone have a clue as to what I'm talking about? I swear I found the link through this forum, but that was almost 3 months ago and I've had much bigger things on my mind...

[ 04-30-2002: Message edited by: RSV ]</p>

NickLeinonen
04-29-2002, 19:57
if you go to the westach web site [http://www.westach.com] and look through their catalog, on page 37 there are rotary switches avalable that can switch 2-6 positions. the prices range from $27 - $40. not sure if that is too great of a price.
you might also want to take a look at parts express [http://www.partsexpress.com] and dig through their catalog. they sell all kinds of electronics stuff so they might have something like that.
even homedepot may have a multi position switch somewhere on the shelves there...
the rat shack might have something too, if you can't get one from somewhere else.

Joe Dawson
04-29-2002, 19:59
If you are going to run three sensors for one gauge you need a single pole triple throw switch. The local Ace hardware in my area has this type of switch. Radio shack also sells them.

SoCalDMAX
04-29-2002, 23:26
RSV,

I'm doing the same thing, monitoring oil, tranny and diff temps with one gauge. The gauge I'm using provides power and ground to the sender and I didn't want to load it down with multiple senders and only switch the signal. Thus I'm using a rotary switch capable of switching all 3 lines simultaneously. I bought it at a local electronics surplus store for under $4. It's approx. 1.5" dia. with a standard 1/4" shaft to mount a knob on.

If you like, I can pick one up for you with a knob if you drop me an email. socaldmax@cox.net.

Hope you're feeling better, Regards, Steve

RSV
04-30-2002, 06:59
Thanks Guys!!!

NickLeinonen - It was Westach that I was thinking of! Ouch! They are pricey too! Didn't recall that the first time! PartsExpress was a dead end for rotary switches...

Joe Dawson - Correct! 1P/3T is exactly what I need but the local hardware stores and Rat Shack are zero help! Rat Shacks have been disappearing like crazy around here and the employees they hire these days know nothing about electronics! Unfortunately, last year a GREAT electronics shop I had been dealing with for 15 years closed suddenly after the owner had a heartattack... He knew his stuff and had no problem ordering ANYTHING you needed!

SoCalDMAX - Sounds appealing... Any chance you could snap a picture comparing your switch to something of a known size (e.g., quarter, pen, tape measure)? I have a specific spot available for mounting in the dash but it is limited in size and depth. Of course this assumes you haven't mounted it...

Thanks again guys! Feeling better each day!

[ 04-30-2002: Message edited by: RSV ]</p>

SoCalDMAX
04-30-2002, 18:51
RSV,

I snapped a couple of pics of the rotary switch and posted them on the web for you. Depending on your gauge design, a SP/TT switch may very well work. The SPA gauges I'm running are digital and I didn't want to draw too much current thru them. Even a DP/TT would have worked for my app., but found the rotary switch cheap, so...

The switch is 3/4' deep and 1-1/4" dia. at the widest, 1" at the narrowest part (oval shaped).

Here's the link: http://www.pbase.com/sfrakes/gauge_senders

I'm hoping to mount it in the little slot in the dash where the 4WD selector switches normally go.

Regards, Steve

RSV
05-02-2002, 22:00
Thanks SoCalDMAX!

Your switch looks a lot like the one I found today! I was out of town on business in central Jersey and passed through Bordentown. On my way through I spotted a "Military Surplus Outpost" and remembered you said you found yours there. So, after a big illegal U-turn I wandered in... Felt like a kid in a candy store! They had a HUGE variety of military-spec electronic components: watertight switches, adhesive-lined heat shrink, heat-shrink terminals, watertight junction boxes, cables, wires, stainless ties... Next thing I know I'm walking out of the store with $58 of stuff, and yes, I found rotary switches in single-pole varieties with 2, 3, 4, and 6 throws! They even had a few different knob styles and backer plates with etched positions that can be engraved - nothing small enough for my purpose though! Anyway, I really appreciate your help!

Thanks,
Rob

SoCalDMAX
05-02-2002, 22:29
Hi Rob,

Glad to help out.

So you got out of the candy store for only $58???

Man, you got off cheap! I try to leave my wallet in the truck to save money, next thing I know I'm mugging some poor soul outside to pay for the $200 of junk I just assembled at the register. ;)

Regards, Steve

RSV
05-03-2002, 07:34
Yeh, it wasn't easy! :eek: There were so many things there I just needed for the truck, needed for the camper, could of used earlier, will probably need later... You know what I mean! Fortunately for me I only had $100 on me and I wanted dinner and needed gas - I avoid credit cards usage like the plague after I finally paid them off!!!

Thanks again for your help!