PDA

View Full Version : Heard About JD? !!!!!!

tom.mcinerney
07-27-2005, 19:27
Have ya'll read the 'Changing Waterpump' thread initiated by Tacklewasher on 7/19/05???
There is a post [#1600] by GMCTD {our alternately cryptic/lucid mentor/pal} made at 07-21-2005 10:53 AM , strongly implying that he's doing as did Dogdiesel a while back {well, surely with some added complications}. That poor truck never knew what was in store for it when he got a hold of it!!!!!!! 5.9!!!

Comment by Tackelwasher:
"Geez that's a lot of work for a new waterpump."

john8662
07-27-2005, 19:54
Whoa! I totally missed that one.

Ya know, he sure has been quiet, guess he is busy...

Wonder if he wants to part with any of that PCM stuff? (6.2 to EFI project of mine).

I agree though, one heck of a lot of work to change the waterpump!

gmctd
07-29-2005, 09:45
Busted!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep - the '96 5.9 12v (70kmi actual)is on the ground beside the truck, and the '95 6.5TD is about to be on the ground on the other side of the truck.

Moving the engine rearward a bit (using oem factory body pieces) to allow full clearance for the big Dodge c-a cooler and radiator.
Using the Dodge drivetrain, incl transfer case and axles to get front coil springs and matching disk brakes on both axles.
And to get the drivetrain into the 21st century - much easier to get parts.

Using the Suburban 40gal rear-mounted fuel tank to eliminate the two 20gal side saddle tanks, allowing clearance for twin 4" stainless stacks.

The 5sp NV4500, coupled with the aux 3sp 5831 should give similar performance (and audio experience!!!!!!!!!!) as the 18sp Road Ranger setup.

Right now, looks like the most difficult thing to change over will be my handle................

GMCummins?

[ 07-29-2005, 09:59 AM: Message edited by: gmctd ]

Cowracer
07-29-2005, 10:44
Hey jd, what are you gonna do with the 6.5 stuff. I might be interested in that gm-8 of yours.

Tim

mhagie
07-29-2005, 11:09
Moving engine rearward with oem pieces?
What may you refer to?
Merle

gmctd
07-29-2005, 12:42
C4000, 5000, 6000, and 7000, Merle - firewall configuration.
Different strokes for different folks, as it were.

Sorry, Tim - I apparently have one of the few (pan off twice to verify) un-cracked blocks in the nation, so it must of needs stay in one package.

As my parting shot, tho, hints I will attempt to blow the lid off the 6.5 cracked shortblock problem, and the only splayedmainsbalancedcrank solution.

Or, not............

[ 07-29-2005, 03:16 PM: Message edited by: gmctd ]

mhagie
07-29-2005, 13:34
JD,Do you mean that you are going to cut out a section of the firewall and splice in a chunk from a different series truck?
My god man that is a bunch of work.
Of course when finished it will be one of a kind.
anyway good luck in the transition.
Merle

gmctd
07-29-2005, 15:31
Thanks, Merle - extra work, but imo, the result must be user-friendly, or the project becomes worthless.

mhagie
07-29-2005, 18:16
JD, I just remembered that about 10 years ago while camping at a lake near Des Moines we ran accross a guy that had a 87 chev crew cab that had a cummins and a straight shift in it, 4 or 5 spd I don't remember.
Anyway to the point it was done by an outfit in Phoenix he said it was a easy swap, your call but it might be worth a call for info that might just help you a bit.
Merle

gmctd
07-29-2005, 18:56
Thanks for the tip.
Stewart and Stevenson here in Houston had a similar kit, also kits for the 8.2 Detroit and the small Cat - long ago and far away, now.

john8662
07-30-2005, 17:40
You can use your TH400 behind the Cummins, but you already knew this. I have a freind who is a diesel mechanic in a town near by who has done this conversion. His truck is an 86 1 ton crew cab single rear wheel, 12V Cummins, with a later model turbo. Runs pretty good. He's also got an overdrive unit behind the TH400 and 3.73 gears.

Funny thing is, when you pop the hood, it looks like it came there from factory. Everything works, right down the the cruise control.

Oh, do you think you would part with the parts and the information to convery an MFI truck to EFI, like you have done in the body style that you're using?

gmctd
07-30-2005, 22:27
Complete wiring harness, engine to PCM to instrument cluster, may be available, John.

Requires quartz-speedo inst cluster from '91 gasser Sub, with grafted-in (easy trick - it's all ABS plastic) oem 5krpm Rally tach and fuel gage.

Incorporates fet module to drive the tach off the CPS input to the PCM - very accurate, iykwim.

PCM has Heath V2.0 Maxi-Tork chip, 6.5 has DSG gear-drive, new 5521 Inj Pump.

Also have front low-mount c-a cooler, with appropriatly inter-connected 2.5" tubing - mounts below and between frame rails in behind the Warn winch bumper.

Hmmmm......per'aps this should be in the advert section?

arveetek
08-01-2005, 05:54
No need to change your handle, JD, it's already appropriate: GM Cummins Turbo Diesel, GMCTD. In fact, that's what I thought it stood for when I first saw it way back when. When I see CTD together, I automatically think Cummins Turbo Diesel.

Casey

gmctd
08-01-2005, 09:14
Good input, Casey, and one less task to manage. :cool:

Btw, John - my 6.5 with the Heath V2.0 chip just split the T400 second-direct sprag-clutch ring in half.
Had the hammer down and the pedal to the metal, 20psiBoost at the shift.

Just shouldnta been floggin' my old 8500lb bud draft horse like that, I guess.

Guess, subconsciously, I was generating the reason for doing the 5.9 swap.

My piece-of-crap 6.5 block wouldn't crack, and I couldn't get that triangular-shaped piece to pop outta one (or more) of my pistons, and my harmonic balancer wouldn't deteriorate and break the crank.

I mean - what kinda luck is that, anyway?

I was gettin' fairly desperate, I can tell you that.

;) :cool:

john8662
08-01-2005, 10:15
Hmm. if a 6.5 breaks the tranny like that, I wouldn't want the Cummins in front of the tranny then. But on the other hand I really can't stand dealing with replacing expensive clutches and resurfacing and then replacing flywheels and pressure plates.

As far as I know, the Cummins Chevy that I know of has had no tranny problems, but I suspect he's tinkered with it.

I still want to install a 4bt in something...

Broke 6.5, No? Some people have all the luck, or lack there of (when you're needing a reason to replace that broken 6.5) :D