PDA

View Full Version : Oil pumps

JeepSJ
04-06-2004, 15:41
I have been searching for a high volume replacement pump for a 1997 engine. No one seems to make one. Anyone know where I can find a high volume replacement pump?

Thanks.

DmaxMaverick
04-06-2004, 16:37
Why a high volume pump instead of the OEM type? The stock pumps are more than adequate and very reliable. Oil pump related failures are extremely rare.

Using a high volume pump with the stock sump could be a problem. If you doubled the size of the sump, it might work. Problem is, with a high volume pump, at higher RPM's, you run the risk of pumping all the oil to the top of the engine before it has a chance to drain down. Engine oil in a Diesel engine has a tendancy to thicken with miles, and drain slower. It also keeps the oil in the hotter part of the engine longer, reducing the cooling effects from the sump.

What is your reason for the higher volume? There will likely be another option to achieve your goal.

david
04-06-2004, 20:54
Use a 98 or 99 pump and pick up, that's what is in mine .
75psi cold 55 psi hot!!
david :eek:

JeepSJ
04-08-2004, 14:07
With the changes (oil sprayers) in the '97 block, GM lowered the "acceptable" pressure readings at idle and at speed. I get the impression that the '97 pump didn't quite compensate for the additional volume used by the sprayers. I was looking to compensate by using a high volume unit.

I like the '98-99 pump idea - I'll have to check and see if that is the same pump as the '97. Wait - I just noticed that you have a '96. No wonder you have oil pressure that is so high!

Since the engine is sitting on a stand and I'll be pulling the oil pan to install the girdle, I figured that I would just install a new pump while I was in there.

[ 04-08-2004, 02:17 PM: Message edited by: JeepSJ ]

david
04-08-2004, 21:43
You must use the pick up also because the pump is different.
david

LanduytG
04-09-2004, 04:38
While yo have it on the stand I highly recommend getting one of Rick Meyers deep sump pans. Worth every penny. Along with the deep sump and the extra oil filters I hold 15 quart of oil. Normal operating temp when not towing is no more than 175*, while towing about 210-220*. Lots of oil will help keep things cooooool.

Greg

JoeyD
04-09-2004, 11:27
Greg, I second that. I believe the low oil pressure some see is do to the high oil temps caused by insuficiant oil sump capacity.

JohnC
04-10-2004, 07:31
What low oil pressure problems? For that matter, why would anyone want to but a high volume oil pump on one of these engines? the factory pump is plenty big enough unless you're intending to jack up your redline. 45 psi is enough pressure the way they run, and more would just rob horsepower and force more oil out the turbocharger seals. Any excess volume produced by the pump would be vented by the pressure relief velve and never get to the moving parts anyhow.

When we built racing engines (not Diesels) we used to run the bearings as loose as possible to reduce friction and jack the oil pressure up to about 80 psi to handle the 7500 - 8000 RPM. There a high volume oil pump was necessary, but I can't see a reason for one in a 6.5.

That said, the later engines with piston oil spray use a higher volume pump, for obvious reasons.

CleviteKid
04-10-2004, 07:50
Hi John,

How are you liking Upstate New York compared to Taxachusetts? Is it really better having Chuck and Hillary representin' you, rather than Teddy and John?

The Clevite Kid ;)

JohnC
04-11-2004, 15:31
Originally posted by CleviteKid:
Hi John,

How are you liking Upstate New York compared to Taxachusetts? Is it really better having Chuck and Hillary representin' you, rather than Teddy and John?
Out of the frying pan, into the fire... :mad:

Watch out, John FK is trying to move on...
You guys figure out how to work those voting machines yet? ;)

patrick m.
04-11-2004, 16:43
Originally posted by JohnC:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by CleviteKid:
Hi John,

Out of the frying pan, into the fire... :mad:

Watch out, John FK is trying to move on...
You guys figure out how to work those voting machines yet? ;) </font>[/QUOTE]Im going to say, they did just fine ;)

JeepSJ
04-12-2004, 10:31
Greg,

Where can I find those pans? Do you sell them? I totally agree that additional capacity is a good thing. Do those pans require a different pickup for the pump? Most importantly, can someone measure their pan and tell me how deep they are? Is the sump section the only part that is extended, or is the entire pan deeper? I have some clearance issues around my front axle.

DmaxMaverick
04-12-2004, 21:20
JeepSJ

Because of the nature of your application, I would not suggest an "off the shelf" aftermarket sump.

A better idea for you (and many other applications) would be to install the engine with the OEM pan and check the clearance. You can have a custom sump added onto the OEM pan for near the cost of new aftermarket. After you get the engine in, make a cardboard simulation of the sump that will fit the vehicle. Just remove the pan and take it with the cardboard sump to a fabricator. They are easy to build up. Add a drain boss and a fresh coat of paint and you're all set without any doubts.