PDA

View Full Version : How and Where to Tap into a "Ignition Activated" Wire?

56Nomad
06-08-2003, 22:32
I'd like to do the electrical hook up my air horn compressor tomorrow
and I thought I'd post my question in this forum....... it kinda fits and
not everyone reads the Accessories Forum. I need some help with
wiring.

Where do you tap into for the compressor hot wire?
The directions call for running a wire with 20 AMP in-line fuse
to be connected to an "Ignition Activated" accessory terminal?

mfontana had written in part:

ANSWER-YES-THE ACCESSORY TERMINAL IN THE FUSE BOX UNDER THE HOOD.
I wouldn't want the compressor starting up when I wasn't using the truck OK guys, I need some further help with this wiring. Which terminal in the
underhood fuse block can I use?

Is there a "Ignition Activated" wire under the hood, (or under
the truck) easily accessed, to tap into?

Thanks

[ 06-09-2003, 10:58 PM: Message edited by: 56Nomad ]

tpitt
06-09-2003, 00:51
Howie,
Its not that hard to take an awl or pocket knife and make a small hole or slot trought the firewall where the rubber around the other wires go through. Then use a small fuse tap and go off the hot side of an ignition switched fuse in the fuse box. Or you could break away from "yuppieville" and come up and visit Ida and I and I would do it for you. :D :D :D Terry

56Nomad
06-09-2003, 09:48
Hey Terry,

Man, you must have been up late?
I gotta figger this out today!

Diana and I will get up there..... and I'll help you
put in one of those non farting Racor filters :D :D :D :D :D

56Nomad
06-09-2003, 10:31
Did it....... found a wire! smile.gif

tpitt
06-09-2003, 14:24
Howie,
Yes I was up late. We went down to St. Helena with my middle son, he started the C.D.F. Firefighter ( for seasonals ) academy this morning. We took the old Sub. and showed him where to go. On the way back the transmission went out. Made it to 1.5 miles from home and had to get my neighbor to pick me up so I could get the Duramax and tow it home. When it rains it pours. I did a chip on a F**d today and a plug "n' power on a D**ge. Have a D**ge here now that I'm doing an exhaust system, exhaust brake, and plug "n" power on. I get more rest at work than I do on vacation. Trying to get caught up, as if I can I would like to make it back to Montana for the rendezvous. This "pandhandling" is hard work. Terry