PDA

View Full Version : Steering rattle fixed !!!!!

BRYANGmc
05-01-2002, 08:53
I've had the steering rattle since day one on my '02 2500HD D/A. Hats off for Don Lorenz GMC in Greenfield Ma. They called me last week to tell me the updated (bearing assembly) for my steering box had been ordered. Had it installed last thursday. Rattle is gone hopefully for good. My front end feels nice and solid now. Just passing the good news along.

windjammer
05-01-2002, 08:59
Great news!
Can you provide the part number or more description so I can discuss it with my GMC Service Manager.
thanks,

NFLDMAX
05-01-2002, 09:45
So there is a light at the end tunnel. Details please. My rattle is driving me nuts. ;)

BradL
05-01-2002, 10:29
BRYANGmc,

I would appreciate the part # as well.

I've had the steering shaft updated, so I'm not too worried about the rattle, but have always argued that my steering has been loose (too much free play in the side to side steering) since shortly after delivery when I had something steering box related replaced to fix a power steering fluid leak.

I would hope an updated bearing in the steering box might tighten up loose steering.

MudNurI
05-01-2002, 10:41
well holy macaroni!!!!

I'm off to Don Lorenz...luckily for me it's just down I-91.....YEAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!

can you give me the service reps name that you spoke with so I can speak directly to him/her...I'm going to call Lorenz first, then call mine and see what mine has to say.
thanks!
Brandy

MudNurI
05-01-2002, 18:44
Okay I got it

I called Lorenz, spoke with Toby, the service manager, and specifically asked him about your truck, he explained to me that it is a part that the service guy is going to have to CALL GM and ask for, they have NOT released a TSB on it yet, it is in the works, soon to be released. the part number that he gave me was

its the Bearing Kit for the Steering Box...
I did not get a chance to call my service guy after speaking with Toby, but John is going to stop in first thing in the morning, and have them order this part..

FYI, I called another dealer- to inquire about this before calling Lorenz,, and the service guy there stated "he was unaware of any TSB on the subject, and usually is right on top of them"..well, not to high up on top, he wasn't aware of the new part.

I will post after John talks to our dealer, and tell you what he had to say!

looks like I'll soon be without a rattle!
YEAH!
Brandy :D

BRYANGmc
05-02-2002, 04:16
Sorry I took so long to reply with a part#. I misplaced the workorder. MUDNURL is correct the part# is 26099860 description- bearing k 6.525
I need to say again that DON LORENZ GMC is A#1 in my book. They really go to bat for you even after the sale. No I don't work for them, it's just rare to find a dealer with a great service dept.

docl
05-02-2002, 15:14
Thanks BRYANGmc, I have been waiting for the definitive fix for this problem. smile.gif

kanton1
05-02-2002, 18:12
I had an interesting visit to the dealer today! I told the service writer about this new bearing, with part number and posts in hand. Also, told her I have already had the "Lube Job" TSB done without success. She said she would have to have the tech verify the condition existed. No problem, I thought.

After having the tech diagnose the problem, I got the usual "Could not reproduce problem!" However, the service writer told me she would do what ever I wanted her to do (ie.. order the part or not). She was actually taking my word that the condition existed. She stated "you drive your truck more than we do, so we believe you." I was shocked. At any rate the new bearing part is on order and I should have it fixed by the end of next week!!

Good Luck,
Kyle

motovet
05-03-2002, 23:06
This is the news I have been waiting for. Thanks all!! Called the dealer today with the new part # (he hadn't heard about it yet),said he would order it for me. Next week no rattle?

windjammer
05-07-2002, 08:51
I talked with the local GMC Service Manager and gave him the part number and description. He is reluctant to do a repair without a TSB. Getting our steering rattle fixed may not be easy. Has anyone else had the repair performed?
thanks,

kanton1
05-09-2002, 01:54
Well... my steering shaft rattle goes on. Took to the dealer today to have the new bearing put in... six hours later, no fix. the new bearing would not fit on my steering shaft. the inner diameter of the bearing was too small. they showed me. I even checked to see if the bearing was the correct part number, it was. They even called tech assistance, and cross refrenced the part. they both said the bearing could work. I asked how someone with the same truck could have this bearing work and how on my truck it won't? they said it could be because I may have a different shaft!?? A different parts bin perhaps, or assembly plant?? Anyway back to the drawing board. They re-lubed it and found a loose bolt. they said the best thing to do is wait for a TSB. My service writer was willing to go the extra mile on this one. A somewhat disappointing day at the dealer.

Good luck to others,
Kyle

windjammer
05-13-2002, 09:00
BryanGMC, have you driven enough miles to determine if the rattle is fixed?
thanks,

BRYANGmc
05-14-2002, 07:48
Windjammer,
So far so good. Steering rattle seems to be only a distant memory. I put about 1500 mi. on since the update and no sign of rattle. Hope you have good luck with yours. I will post if rattle comes back.

windjammer
05-14-2002, 08:56
Thats great news. I'm still trying to convenience the Service Manager to order the bearing and try the fix. He wants to wait for a TSB. If I go in now all he seems willing to do is follow the old TSB and grease the shaft. Is the bearing replacement in the steering box?

Derek M
05-17-2002, 11:21
Interesting information found. Don't know if this has been posted or not. I've always heard that GM was redesigning the steering shaft from various sources, this makes it a little more concrete I guess.

You need the Adobe Acrobat plug-in for your browser or you can download the article and view via the Adobe Client installed on your machine.

http://carprogrammer.com/Z28/GMTechlink/TL_April.pdf

Article is entitled "Intermediate Shaft Clunk" on page 7 of 8.

comments? ideas?

[ 05-17-2002: Message edited by: Derek M ]</p>

NutNbutGMC
05-17-2002, 12:20
^...Here is the text:
Quote:
Intermediate Shaft Clunk
On 1999-2000 Silverado and Sierra models, a noise or clunk may be noticed coming from the steering column. Diagnosis may point to the intermediate shaft as the cause of the noise. Replace the I-shaft, P/N 26083324, if necessary. A pre s s u r-ized greasing process has been recently added to the I-shaft. To address this condition over the long term, a new I-shaft with an improved spline material is scheduled to be available shortly. The new I-shaft spline material is composed of carbon, silicone and PPS and remains intact better over time and produces less wear. The I-shaft with the new spline material will have a new part number. A bulletin also will be released covering this new component when it is available.
End Quote (no pics).

kanton1
05-17-2002, 12:26
Guys,

Look at the date, April 2000. A little outdated.

go to this link for current.
http://service.gm.com:8083/techlink/html_en/

Good Luck
Kyle

NutNbutGMC
05-17-2002, 12:52
^....Kyle, that page is inactive at the links, once I am on the page. Any tricks I am overlooking??

MudNurI
05-17-2002, 16:23
Okay I can tell you that the rattle you all hear in your 2001-2002 HD's is the SAME rattle they are talking about..the reason I can tell you that is because prior to our D-A, we owned a 99 Z-71. and had this SAME rattle... I know, I drove that truck ,and drive this one... I said this to our original dealer with the D/A being 4 days old- "This damn truck has that same rattle as our old one,,can you fix it".....finish the story on your own.

oh I almost forgot- not long after that date-- there was a RECALL issued on our 99- for this problem..we got the postcard in the mail from GM etc....

..well, I drive the SAME roads every day of the week, and it rattles the SAME place the old truck rattled, at the same speed, at the same pattern, the same noise, EVERYTHING is the same...

though, getting GM to verify this is not going to be easy. My rattle has come back after this new grease crap they put in on Wednesday- Monday it goes back for its seatbelt replacement, and they ARE going to order the bearing kit then. (though thats not what they fixed on our 99)

Brandy

2DAMAX
05-17-2002, 16:34
When I took my truck in to the dealer about the rattle the service writer said that they needed to do the grease job to fix the problem.I saw the bearing fix and have been waiting since the truck was 3 wk's old for the fix.I printed out all the first post's on DPF faxed to my dealer and he said nothing more about it and orderd part for me.Im glad too say its goodin tight now!!!! :D :D

kanton1
05-18-2002, 09:00
Nut,

The link works for me. I don't do anything special.

Good Luck,
Kyle

motovet
05-19-2002, 01:27
My dealer has the bearing but said he is unsure as to where it goes? Thats scary! Any more info as to how and where it goes on the shaft?

windjammer
05-22-2002, 08:41
Since my Service Manager won't order and R/R the bearing. Do I let him perform the grease kit fix? I just hate the thought of having a technician take it apart just to add grease!

Do we have any GM Engineers on the board that would know if GM is working on a true fix. What about D-MaxMan?

ASI DMAX
05-28-2002, 09:01
Got the bearing replaced last Tuesday. Seems like all the shaking in finally gone! Took all the posts in from the DP and they actually listened. Had mine done in Littleton, Colorado if anyone else local is looking to get it done.

ZFMax
05-28-2002, 12:33
ASI: can you give the name of the service advisor who helped you?

I'd like to have a contact name that my SA can call.

motovet
05-29-2002, 00:27
Yes, what is the # and a name I could speak with? My dealer ordered the bearing at my request, but wants more info prior to the install. I don't understand how a part is available with no TSB?

ASI DMAX
05-29-2002, 20:26
The service rep that worked with me was Shawn Butcher at Burt Chevrolet. 303.761.2382.
The bearing part number on my receipt is
#26099860. I should mention that they replaced the steering shaft about a month ago thinking
that would be the fix. Not! I don't know if this needs to be done at the same time or not.
Good Luck.

ZFMax
05-30-2002, 07:52
Thank you thank you thank you ...

This !@#$% rattle drives me nuts. 6 visits now trying to get it fixed, 4 at one dealership and 2 at another. The first dealer started going into denial over it (can't hear it, it's normal, etc). The second dealer isn't there yet but they probably will be.

I wonder if a person could get lemon law coverage on it. It's getting ridiculous.

I'd rather get it fixed though. I'll pass this info along, and if I can't get a dealership to do it, I may just take it down there to Burt.

Thanks again.

windjammer
05-31-2002, 07:46
ZFMAX, I wish you luck. The rattle takes the driving pleasure away. I will be very interested in knowing if a shaft replacement is required along with the bearing. I am beginning to think that since my service manager is resistant to changing the bearing without a TSB, maybe he is not confident in his technician's abilities. A vacation to Colorado (Burt chev) may not be a bad idea.

kanton1
05-31-2002, 10:44
ASI DMax,

What was the part number for the steering shaft they replaced?

Reason being, if I cannot get this rattle fixed by the dealer, I will just order the new bearing and a different steering shaft and do it myself. The bearing is on $14 from gmpartsdirect, and the shaft could not be that much more.

If you have read my previous posts you know that the dealer attempted to install the new bearing but my shaft was too big, now if I could get a shaft that would work with the bearing I would be set.

Thanks,
Kyle

ASI DMAX
06-01-2002, 10:53
The part number for my Chevy was 26098419.
It called a E7700 Intermediate steering shaft.
Good Luck,

ASI DMAX

windjammer
06-04-2002, 13:51
ZFMAX, or KANTON1
Just wondering what your status is with the steering rattle. I had another meeting with my service manager. He said he would call tech support and ask for an update. I think he is beginning to weaken. The big question I have is if both the shaft and bearing have to be replaced or just the bearing?
thanks,

kanton1
06-04-2002, 14:24
windjammer,

my rattle has not changed, nor has the truck been back to the dealer yet. I was at the dealer yesterday for some lube, and asked the service writer, whom I have been dealing with, and she said there is no TSB or changes yet.

I am waiting to go back to my home town and have the dealer there take care of it. I know the service manager somewhat well, and he will do what ever needs to be done, (ie.. change the shaft and the bearing at the same time). I took my old truck to him several times and he never gave me the run around; "can't reproduce complaint or need to diagnose first." He just takes my complaint and suggestions, and fixes it. I won't be there until mid July though.

So for now I drive with steering shaft that is starting to make me looney! :rolleyes:

Good Luck,
Kyle

ZFMax
06-04-2002, 14:28
I'm still working on my dealer, trying to get him to do it. I go in tomorrow to demonstrate the noise (again) and talk to the service manager about trying this.

My service writer doesn't want to do it without the manager's ok. Ultimately, I think they'll agree to try it, but it may be a week or two. If not, I'll take it to Burt Chevrolet, I'm about an hour and a half away from them though so if I can get it done here, that's better.

I'm not giving up on this.

windjammer
06-05-2002, 15:06
My dealer called today and said he will order the bearing. I just hope the new bearing and my existing shaft equals no rattle. I will let you know. Of course it could be a while before the dealer receives the bearing.

ZFMax
06-06-2002, 06:51
My dealer agreed to do it and they ordered the part! Sure hope it works ... I'll have a report in a couple weeks. Living on a dirt road, it's not hard for me to evaluate the fix.

motovet
06-07-2002, 00:26
Got the bearing fix today,and just realized on the way home what the front end is supposed to feel like. It's fixed!! Will follow up after some miles. Thanks for the dealer info ASIdmax, I had them call your'e guy and shabam, done deal.

FormulaPro
06-07-2002, 05:57
You guys...please do followup with as much information as you can on this, ie. part numbers, dealer names, service mgr names etc.

I have had it with this. My truck sounds like a POS on any types of bumpy corners. I am getting ready to dump it if I can't get it fixed.

windjammer
06-07-2002, 07:29
Great news Motovet,
Did they replace only the bearing or did they replace shaft and bearing? I can't wait to get this problem solved. The name and number of your dealer and contact person would be very helpful.
thanks,

ZFMax
06-07-2002, 10:15
FormulaPro, I'm with you. It REALLY bugs me, and after 6 visits trying to get it fixed, my frustration level is running high, high enough to have me researching lemon laws and thinking about a Ford.

This noise has been there since the day I brought the truck home. Living on a dirt road, I hear it ALL the time, although I also hear it bad on things like ripply freeway offramps, and a more minor amount almost any time I've got the wheel turned and hit a bump.

The first dealer had the truck 4 times, and then went into denial over the issue. First saying they couldn't hear it (I had demonstrated it for them on 2 of those 4 visits) and then saying it's "normal" because this is a special steering box that has a high point when on center, so the gears naturally loosen when you turn the wheel. Well, being a mechinc while I was in school, I just happen to know that damn near all steering boxes are designed that way and have been for decades. Hell, my 66 Chevelle was that way. They don't have to rattle.

So I switched servicing dealers. I told the second dealer about the bearing, but they wanted an opportunity to fix it by other means, which seemed fair. After their unsuccessful second attempt, my service rep was still reluctant to do it. I can understand, he doesn't want to be on the hook for a bad decision. So I laid out my case to his boss, the service manager, describing how this is a common issue and many people are getting frustrated and someone was able to get it fixed with this bearing and how everyone who's managed to get their dealer to try it has come away happy. I also admitted that I had no idea *how* this bearing could be fixing the issue. That was Wednesday. He was very receptive, actually thanked me for the info, and said he'd look into it and order the parts.

Well, he called me this morning and left a message. It wasn't real descriptive, but basically he said that he looked into the "bearing kit", got all the information (I'm assuming he called ASI's service rep at Burt Chevrolet), and the kit is on order and he'll call me when it gets in! Hot damn.

So hope springs eternal. As long as I think there's a chance I can get this fixed, I won't throw in the towel. It's otherwise a terrific truck, like I said if I can get this fixed, I'll be in truck heaven.

I will most certainly post my results, and if it's successful I'll leave contact info for my dealer.

FYI, the shaft on my truck was already replaced, on service visit number 2.

kanton1
06-07-2002, 10:34
MUDNUR1,

Brandy, any updates on the bearing fix? If I remember correctly you were going to have it "fixed" last week!? Any luck?

Kyle

Derek M
06-07-2002, 12:19
My brother got his 2500LD back from the dealership yesterday with the new bearing. He said it was fixed. Mine will prolly go in shortly. I'll see if I can't get my brother to post the information off his repair invoice.

FormulaPro
06-07-2002, 12:48
ZFMax...I hear ya! I have had the rattle since day 1 (search the archives, you'll find me bitching about this since waaaay back) 2 intermediate shafts at one dealer. Another intermediate shaft at another dealer. Lube job at still another dealer. My frustration stems from a discussion with my dealer this morning. I had pointed him to this page to browse. He told me this morning, that even if I was willing to pay for the bearing install...he won't do it. WHAT THE FiretrUCK? Some crap about if it doesn't work...unhappy customer. How about the unhappy customer he has right now.

I am so ****ed off right now, I could spit tacks. G0ddamn $40,000 truck that when my friends ride in they ask "why's it sound like the wheels are going to fall off".

I had a Ford before this truck..a gasser. I am going to look at a PowerStroke tonight.
:mad:

windjammer
06-10-2002, 08:15
Thanks DerekM,
The more information we have the closer we are to finally being happy with the truck. Where in Texas is your dealer, I may want to follow behind you. I am in a similiar situtation with my service manager as is ZFMax.
thanks,

Lone Eagle
06-10-2002, 22:20
Good luck FormulaPro. I hope you find the a PSD. They are a perfect truck. You should have stayed with that brand to start with. You will never be happy with the GM. Later! Lone Eagle tongue.gif

windjammer
06-11-2002, 07:24
LoneEagle, way to support a fellow DMax. I don't think you would be taking a cheap shot if you had to deal with this rattle issue. GM and the dealer's attention towards solving this problem sucks. Replies like yours really p####s me off.

FormulaPro
06-11-2002, 07:40
WindJammer...Thanks. I read Lone's reply this morning, and choose not to reply, sometimes the best response is none at all.

I went and looked at the XLT F250 Powerstroke, GM has it heads and tails on interior ergos. PSD is just too loud...and I added a bunch of goodies (Juice) to my Dmax and don't want to start from scratch!

So...for now I must put up with a really nice truck that sounds like the wheels are going to fall off.

You are right on track with GM and the Dealer's attitude on this...I just don't understand why they can't fix this. I may attempt to fix it myself, so if you guys that are getting it fixed, post as much information as possible, like part numbers etc.

Thanks!

docl
06-11-2002, 09:07
Appreciate this group. My service manager made me feel like the loose steering problem with an associated 'rattle' wasn't worth complaining about. It does bother me because something is obviously wrong and why there isn't a GM fix by now baffles me to no end. I don't drive the truck much just because the rattle really annoys me. I have also noticed this truck '02 seems to wonder a bit more( doesn't track as well) than my '01 but I may imagining that. :confused:

windjammer
06-11-2002, 13:30
I've been searching back in the archives and noticed that this steering column rattle problem goes way back. Most that have responded to this thread were searching for an answer last October. Some have already been to the dealer several times for either grease kit, shaft replacment, bearing replacement or all of the above. Some are tolerating the ratttle while waiting for a true fix rather than allow the tech to experiment on their DMAX. Myself, I am talking (nothing in writting) with the dealer service manager trying to convenience him to at least try and solve the problem. I purchased my Dmax in February and have 32K miles of warranty remaining. What happens to the warranty repair when you pass 36,000 miles?

NFLDMAX
06-12-2002, 05:42
I still have the rattle from the day I drove it off of the lot. I can't convince anyone to try to replace the bearing. I guess I'll have to wait for a TSB :(

FormulaPro
06-12-2002, 05:51
Windjammer,

I posed this question to the last dealer I used (the one that I told I would pay for the bearing install, but he refused) and he said that no matter how long out of warranty, the steering rattle will be fixed when they come out with a fix.

I am not holding my breath....it has been 18 months, and still no change. GM has dropped the ball big time on this one. Yes it is a great truck...would I buy it again? Probably not. Small things like this really aggravate me.

windjammer
06-12-2002, 07:48
I wonder about the scope of this problem.
Someone should start a post aking:

Do you have the steering column rattle?,(yes or no)
if yes,
Did your dealer fix the problem? Dealer name and how with all details.

FormulaPro
06-12-2002, 07:53
I think there are some rules about posting dealer names here...but what the hell, I really have nothing to loose...I'll start a new post titled "Steering Rattle? ...who has it discovery.

Keith