PDA

View Full Version : Technical Service Bulletin 2 piece driveline

gpsalazar4
05-01-2002, 10:50
Does anybody have an electronic copy of the TSB " Launch Shudder on Acceleration Bulletin (#01-04-17-001B)" that includes the full details such as the image giving a description on what to remove? I have a 2001, 2500HD D/A CC SB with a 2-piece driveline and I have noticed some slight vibration on accelration and would like to correct this problem; however, I am having a hard time with the dealers in New Mexico wanting to provide me with the information that I have requested.

77TransAm
05-01-2002, 13:13
What's your email address?

DaveRuane
05-01-2002, 13:20
Please send it to me - I'm at daveruane@yahoo.com Thanks!

Jackmchome
05-01-2002, 15:47
77TransAM. Please send to me also.
Jackmchome@aol.com
Thanks. Jack

TXDMAX
05-01-2002, 15:56
Count me in
blakeh_72@yahoo.com
;) ;)

gpsalazar4
05-01-2002, 16:04
I am at gpsalazar4@hotmail.com

gpsalazar4
05-01-2002, 16:38
Those who have had the 2-piece to one piece replacement how well does the one piece handle through a range from 0 MPH to 85 MPH unloaded and loaded? Moreover, does the single shaft take up the slack that one may experience when first starting to accelerate? Because my truck seems like there is a hesitation to get going when I start to accelerate from a dead stop, and it will not do it any other time except when I accelerate from a dead stop.

NutNbutGMC
05-01-2002, 18:41
^...I have had the replacement procedure done on mine. It's like a new marine haircut... high and tight. I noticed a distinct and significant inprovement of driveline performance the day I drove it out of the service lot. The one thing to remember (or a plan of attack) is to complain about the launch shudder, "under load" at low speeds. At that point, they cannot reproduce the symptoms of the complaint and (should) have to seccumb to the plaintiff and replace the shaft, in accordance with the TSB. It's already a known fact by GM, thus the TSB.

One last time..DO NOT allow them to cut the cross-member. Have that written on the service order.

battmain
05-02-2002, 12:14
"Those who have had the 2-piece to one piece replacement how well does the one piece handle through a range from 0 MPH to 85 MPH unloaded and loaded?"

My notes are on a gas model 2500HD ext cab longbox 4x4. Only complaint I had, after the dealers took 6 tries to fix it right, was a severe harmonic vibration at 90mph. Since I didnt spend much time at that speed, didn't care. After the last trip. The vibration was gone all the way up to 95, so now, the truck drives like it should. Maybe it had to do with the bearings wearing in or something. Pulling my fairly light 3600# trailer, you do notice the road surface more through the steering wheel, but nothing to really complain about.

Brian

gpsalazar4
05-03-2002, 15:23
I left my truck at the dealership on Thursday with a copy of the TSB on Launch shudder to address the driveshaft replacement and to address the emergency brake issue, and the dealer contacted me that a the parts were on order for the driveshaft and the emergency brake. [The emergency brake was not shelf-adjusting therefore a part had to be replaced.] The dealer stated that parts should be in by May 8, and they would do the work on that day.

trailguide2u
05-03-2002, 18:39
77TransAm-- Could you shoot me the TSB to?
zrartiecat@hotmail.com

Thanks!

Jim Cobler
05-03-2002, 18:56
Please send a copy to me as well. Thanks.

jcobler@kscable.com

gpsalazar4
05-10-2002, 08:31
Took my truck in to the dealer today, May 10,2002, to have the one piece shaft installed and the emergency brake adjuster replaced. I talked with the mechanic who was going to be working on my truck, and I asked him if the crossmember had to be cut (testing the mechanic's knowledge about the process)in order to facilitate the one piece driveshaft. He told me that the crossmember would not be cut because the Dealer or GM would have to purchase a new frame for my truck or buy back my truck since the crossmember is an integral part of the frame.

Billy14
05-10-2002, 09:44
To all of you with a split shaft replacement & those who want one,

Myself & many others traded one evil for another with the shaft replacement. The dreaded clunk at start & stop. Almost as bad as the dreaded TICK.

I posted this question to John Kennedy hoping he might have an answer but discovered he'll be out of town for a week or so.

I still prefer the single shaft over the split. Much smoother & responsive but the clunk is quite annoying & has to be hammering thrust loads on the tranny & pinion bearings because the slip yoke can't or won't slip on the tranny output shaft. I am now experiencing some seeping out of the pinion seal.

Billy

posted 05-09-2002 03:56 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John,
After reading your recent posts regarding drive shaft & pinion angles, it's obvious your quite knowledgeable in this area. My question is back to the driveline clunk with the single shaft.

After a little grease from the dealer, no clunk & smooth as silk but it will come back after a month or so. The grease has got to be blending with the tranny fluid which I find disturbing although no problems to date.

I have driven several trucks identical to mine that were produced with the single shaft & no clunk. Do you, or anyone else out there know if the pinion-driveshaft angle on a single shaft is setup different than a factory produced split shaft? The split shaft comes off the carrier bearing at a greater angle than the single shaft directly out of the transfer case.

Mine is a split shaft replacement & I have noticed that a few others that had the mod now have the clunk like myself. If the pinion-driveshaft angle is different for the two shafts, could this be causing the clunk? On my truck without using a bubble protractor the driveshaft appears to be ALMOST parallel with the pinion plane. When the pinion climbs it will certainly break over the centerline of the drive shaft.

My guess so far is dull tooling. I tight spline is going to bind more than a loose one cut with a new broach (if the slip yoke is made by broaching).

Thanks,

Billy

JimWilson
05-10-2002, 10:07
You can get a lot of the TSB's from this site...
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/tsb/service1.cfm?SearchTopic=Vehicle

Dick
05-11-2002, 09:59
Can I get a copy, Thanks
Birddog130@MSN.com

pinehill
05-11-2002, 16:21
JimWilson,

The TSB summaries on this site appear to have been written by dyslexic Afghani goatherders. Rather limited usefulness. :(

pinehill
05-11-2002, 16:23
Examples:

Technical Service Bulletins Summary

Make: CHEVROLET TRUCK
Model: SILVERADO
Year: 2001
Service Bulletin Number: 290601
Bulletin Sequence Number: 623

Summary Description:

SUBJECT PERTAINING TO DURAMAX DIESEL ENGINE THAT WOULD REQUIRE A CYLINDER HEAD INFORMATION
REGARDING DURAMAX 6600 DIESEL FUEL SYSTEM.*JB REPLACEMENT.*JB
Make: CHEVROLET TRUCK
Model: SILVERADO
Year: 2001
Service Bulletin Number: 070501
Bulletin Sequence Number: 197

Summary Description:

THIS MESSAGE IS ABOUT ENGINE MECHANICAL CYLINDER LOCATION AND THE CONFUSION IN CUSTOMER MAY
COMPLAIN THAT THE WIPER MOTOR IS INOPERATIVE OR THAT THE WIPER UNDERSTANDING THE CORRECT
IDENTIFICATION OF THE 6600 DURAMAX CYLINDER LOCATION. MOTOR FUSE BLOWS REPEATEDLY. *TT *TT

mark45678
05-11-2002, 19:42
billy14
try removeing the drive shaft from the trans end and put a small amount of wheel bearing grease inside the splines. you will be best to do this with the front of the truck down hill to limit the loss of fluid from transfer case or trans depending on 2x4 or 4x4! there is notice on the start off clunk for many pickups not just D/A gas trucks too! this is old news, I would expect the tec should know this..... :eek:

SledZep
05-12-2002, 05:31
In would love to get a copy also. I have around 8,000 miles now and a small list of things for the dealer and the two piece for one piece is one of them. Thankyou 77TransAm

d.rowe@mindspring.com

gstocker
05-12-2002, 07:45
My 2002 C/C 3500 2WD dually 8.1 and Allison has a very slight vibration on take off. It has a 2 piece shaft. Does this TSB apply to it as well and if it does could you email it to me? gstocker@telusplanet.net
Thanks.

gpsalazar4
05-14-2002, 18:24
I got my truck back today, May 14, from the dealer. I had taken it in on Friday May 10, but it had to stay there for the weekend because the wrong driveshaft was shipped. The driveshaft was mis-packaged(the correct model # was on the box however the driveshaft inside was wrong). After such a long wait to get my truck back the first thing I notice is how much smoother the truck accelerates. What a difference the one piece driveshaft makes. Is the one piece driveshaft a fiber-core with an aluminum wrap?

NutNbutGMC
05-14-2002, 19:16
^...I would never say, "I told ya' so!" Any more disbelievers??? :D :D
The faster you drive it, the smoother it rides.

[ 05-14-2002: Message edited by: NutNbutGMC ]</p>

Derek M
05-15-2002, 12:07
Anyone have a procedure on R&R the two piece drive shaft? Buddy of mine at work says he's had his into the dealer several times for the bump/clunk and he wants me to put some synthetic grease on the splines to see if it cures it and for how long. His is out of warranty and I don't wanna use mine as the test bed. smile.gif

gpsalazar4
05-15-2002, 15:54
Searay90 what is your email address?