PDA

View Full Version : Rear axle seal leak

TBC
11-25-2002, 20:03
Had the truck in for the steering rattle and while checking the truck over the tech found a rear axle seak leak. (20,000 miles).

I have the Amsoil synthetic diff oil. I seem to recall reading several posts recently about axle seal leaks and was wondering if any of those who have had leaks were also running Amsoil diff oil. It has me curious about seal compatibility with the synthetics especially since it could be a brand specific incompatibility problem. I changed to Amsoil at about 15,000 miles.

What say you all? Is there a problem here?

Tom Cobb

mackin
11-25-2002, 20:56
TBC

This problem exist no matter the BRAND of proper oil.....One thing is if it's minor it just may be weeping a bit......Believe it or not I thought one of mine was a gusher and one a weeper but both have slowed considerably.....Keep and eye on the fluid and your nose to the rear tire area......Don't be in a rush,if they haven't changed it yet...Final inspection up coming on a tire swap soon.....I'll let you know if I'm just lucky......

MAC

TBC
11-26-2002, 22:13
Picked up my truck today and both axle seals had been leaking. They replaced brakes pads and turned both rotors and the parking brake pads (didn't know it had parking brake pads). I didn't see the leaks but the tech and service mgr thought it was bad enough to fix. They also replaced the intermediate steering shaft because of the clunking noise. Said it was dry on the ticket. I am glad the tech was paying attention and got the work done without me having to go back since I am headed for a 3 month + stay in windy Amarillo, TX. They didn't find anything with the noise in the back when hitting bumps. The spring pads were replaced earlier but they say it is normal. I had this same noise in my 2500 94 Suburban 4X4. Never figured out what it was.

Tom