PDA

View Full Version : Allison Synthec Tranny Oil

TooMuchMuscle
11-26-2002, 14:14
Just the other day I went to a Allison repair shop in Los Angeles and asked about purchasing synthec oil. They wanted 37 dollas per gallon!!! :mad: Is there anywhere that sell the stuff for cheaper? Thanks

chipper
11-26-2002, 15:13
Transdyne is made by Castrol for Allison & apparently Allison has a lock on the market. I paid $32.00 for it in Idaho.

mackin
11-26-2002, 15:30
I paid $28 dollars a gallon and flushed it out and put Mobil 1 in when I found out Transynd wasn't a true synthetic but an additive derived synthetic...(Thanks Toddster ?)...I was going to use Amsoil but after now waiting all most two weeks for 3 quarts of gear lube to show,for my front differential,(don't bother now I'm just going to return it) I went to my Mobil supplier this past weekend,made a huge purchase and switched "all" of my drive train to Mobil 1 Synthetic ......So I am now truly bumper to bumper Mobil 1 synthetic......Sorry Amsoil, but not really, it's your fault,I'm a Mobil 1 guy now.....

MAC :(

[ 11-26-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

TooMuchMuscle
11-26-2002, 16:32
This will help out a lot... I was going to look into other oils but thought about warranty problems and figured if I stayed with an Allison product then the stealer couldn't say nuthin. But after finding out the price I will go to another brand (Mobil)

One more thing.. when putting in synthetic does all the old fluid need to be out of the tranny. The last time I did a tranny flush it was time consuming!!! Thanks for the help

Toddster
11-26-2002, 17:47
There is something truly sexy about a bumper to bumper Mobil 1 Black Duramax eh Mac ? LOL. Funny how ALL manufacturers of synthetic and so called synthetic oils compare themselves to Mobil 1. When you have a product to wich all other products are consistantly comparing themselves too it should tell you something ! Also, personally knowing some people inside NASCAR I can say with confidence this is good $hit ! TMC, to answer your question, no you do not have to flush....(just make sure you put the seat down) Personally I'm changing my Dmax oil every 4,000mi at the same time I will drain the Ally (filter too) till I think all the factory crap is gone. I think some anal person like myself on this site figured out how many changes this would actually take to achieve ! Geesh, I thought I was bad ! :eek:

TooMuchMuscle
11-26-2002, 18:32
Well now that I know that it is OK to mix fluids then I will go ahead and start changing... Thanks for all your help fella's.

OC_DMAX
11-26-2002, 22:14
I bought 4 gallons of Transynd at Valley Detroit Diesel Allison for $32 per gallon on 9/4/2002. They are located in City of Industry (626-333-1243) , Costa Mesa (949-646-4483), and Mira Loma (bought mine in Mira Loma at 15/60 Freeways - 909-681-9283). They also sold the spin on filter for the Allison for $8.25. Pick the one which is closest to your house. Give them a call to see what they are charging today.

Alan

GBurton
11-27-2002, 02:17
mackin said
"was going to use Amsoil but after now waiting all most two weeks for 3 quarts of gear lube to show,for my front differential,"

Good grief, I don't know who you are (were?)trying to purchase your Amsoil from but I purchase mine from LanduytG (AKA Greg) and my stuff has been showing up in within a few days. I live in Northern California and the products have been shipped from Portland Oregon. Maybe yours was shipped from a different warehouse but I have been satified with the total processing & shipping time for my orders.

George

mackin
11-27-2002, 04:59
GBurton

I hear ya never had a problem prior.....I ordered direct online store.....Still isn't here !!!!!!! I E-mail Greg as I used his web addy and dealer number !!!!!!! No oil ......Beats me,all though I have heard other people have waited to long for other things....Mobil products are real easy to get for me as I have a distributor warehouse 3 miles from my work.....I get my company supplies there and as a perk, well that's a nuff of that......So says my accountant...

MAC :eek:

DaveRuane
11-27-2002, 11:22
Anybody finding Mobil 1 Synth ATF for less than $4.99/quart? I dropped my pan once already and it seems that I added about 8 quarts? or was it 14? I flushed the the cooler line as well but wasn't sure what this was really doing for me...

mackin
11-27-2002, 20:20
DaveRuane

I'm not sure what I paid, it went on my account but it prolly wouldn't help ya any way since were many states away....

Why did you drop the pan??Did you opt for the deep pan ??? Deep pan drain at the plug will yield you approx. 2.5 gallons.....I think shallow pan is 2 quarts less,so eight sounds correct......What pulling top from cooler line does is pump out the balance of current fluid and replace with new fluid as in your case Mobil I......So it is close to 100% drain and refill.....Do it man......It's easy.....

MAC :D

[ 11-27-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

Diesel Freak
11-28-2002, 00:03
How are you getting the fluid out of the convertor? Forgive me, I'm new to the Allison. How long should I run the original fluid before I change it? Where can I find the step by step for draining and flushing the tranny?

Thanks!

TooMuchMuscle
11-28-2002, 16:05
Mackin,
I remember the post on flushing the tranny, but cant find it anymore. Any hints? Thanks :D

Diesel Freak
11-28-2002, 23:00
I will NEVER understand why the heck the factories don't install a drain plug on the torque convertor, they used to back in the "olden days". How hard it could it really be to weld a fitting on the darn thing and put a drain plug in it? Then a small access panel in the lower bell housing and life would be good. A guy could easily change dang near all of the fluid in one shot and not really spend much time doing it.

TooMuchMuscle
11-29-2002, 03:11
Mackin,

Thanks for the link... At this time I would also like to thank Hoot (and all the other doers on this site)!!!! Looks like I will be doing a tranny flush first thing Friday morning.

****Need to sleep right now. Too too much turkey!

imported_
11-29-2002, 14:36
Took mine to an allison tranny shop they installed
a machine that lets the tranny suck the new oil
through.You guys are doing a lot of work and
worry for nothing.

Diesel Freak
11-29-2002, 20:13
Does that actually change the fluid in the torque converter as well?

Idle_Chatter
11-30-2002, 07:07
When I did my changeover to Amsoil synthetic ATF I purposely let the truck sit and drain down for 36 hours. Then I drained and pulled the pan. Cleaned the pan and magnet and reinstalled. I didn't bother to flush the cooler and felt that I had gotten as much old fluid as possible out of the system. After I had refilled with new fluid, worked it thorough the gears and driven it up to temperature and adjusted the level, then I changed out the spin-on filter. I feel pretty confident that I've gotten at least an 80-90% changeout and should be nearly 100% on the next change sometime in the Spring/Summer of '03!

mackin
11-30-2002, 08:13
Diesel Freak

I think you'll find whether you do it yourself, or other means, by removing the FROM cooler line you will be flushing 100% of fluid, that includes lines cooler and all parts of the Allison....If you switch to Mobil I and watch your container of chose, you will clearly see the change over to Cherry Red......

Power flushing is not allowed on the Allison, so says their site, not me.....Not sure what the Sucking method is, but if Allison did it must be OK......I would just rather do it myself....

[ 11-30-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

Diesel Freak
11-30-2002, 09:35
Mac, thanks I appreciate it. I was reading in that link about how the first change was like 60% of the fluid, the second was 80% and by the third it was all changed (not certain of the actual percentages, something like that). But you are saying if I take off the from cooler line and fill with new stuff at the same time I will actually change all the fluid in the converter as well?

How many others have had good luck with reusing the oil pan gasket?

Jerry

[ 11-30-2002: Message edited by: Diesel Freak ]</p>

mackin
11-30-2002, 13:25
Diesel Freak

The 60/80 by third change 100% was without doing a flush......I as most have done the flush, because we switched to synthetic....Any other way, buy the third flush, it would be costly, for most and not worth it....T/C will be drained,cooler,and lines as it's all one system....Mine with deep, pan holds 15 quarts, I've dumped 12 quarts into the pan (after draining) and started flushing out balance adding as I took out till I totaled over a gallon and a half flushing....I did this alone while using a clear 2.5 gallon bucket, placing it under the truck with a length of hose attached to upper line then right to the bucket.....I was able to go around start truck, while running I would look under truck, when I pumped about all most a gallon or so out, I would shut truck off go add two more quarts and continue,trying to keep it near full,to just under full.....Till I felt it was sufficient or the 2.5 gallon container was near full,or what ever you chose....Keeping track of how many quarts you've used and or flushed to be able to add a quart or so to reach the desired full level when done..... The pan gasket is a lifetime gasket....No one has to replace unless for some odd reason it gets torn, bent out of shape, but highly unlikely.....Get busy .......LOL

[ 11-30-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

Diesel Freak
12-01-2002, 23:59
Mac, Thanks!!! The fog has lifted! I musta missed the part about the 60/80/100% thing being without doing the flush. I was really scratchin my head tryin to make sense of this. I've only got 3000 miles on the truck, not quite time for a tranny flush yet, just wanted to know what it was all about.

Jerry