PDA

View Full Version : 03 no likey LED lights ??

Steve Cornell
11-26-2002, 16:42
I stopped by Autozone and picked up 4 3157 LED bulbs for the brake \ turn signals on my 03 D\A for $7.99 ea "but honey you know these bulbs are much brighter and come on quicker and have been shown to help prevent accidents by allowing more reaction time" lol :D

So I installed the bulbs and every brake light \ turn signal fuse in the truck popped....... so I put the stock bulbs back in and replaced the fuses and I'll head back to Autozone to get my $38 back :(

Anyone have any experience with LED bulbs? and have any idea why they somehow threw a short into the system?

Jake99Z71
11-26-2002, 18:13
Steve,
Look up Hoot. He's been there and done that. You weren't using APC were you? I know Hoot ended up with Jam-Straight.

hoot
11-26-2002, 18:36
Yep Steve,

Been there, done that. APC misrepresents the bulbs as usable on all late model trucks when in fact the ones they sell only work on pre-99 trucks. I burnt fuses out too.

Go to this site and read all about LED's.

http://www.jamstrait.com/index1.htm

I had to also install a variable load flasher that Jam Strait used to carry but I don't see it on thr site any more. I believe they changed to using resistors. They have them. I would call them. They are excellent and will steer you right.

Mine work perfectly.

[ 11-26-2002: Message edited by: hoot ]</p>

Steve Cornell
11-26-2002, 21:53
Thanks Hoot,

Yep, they were APCs, I'll return them tomorrow and
give Jam Strait a call.

Thanks again for your help.

Steve

hoot
11-28-2002, 07:26
Steve,

Here's where I bought all my LED stuff. Jam Strait does not sell direct. They are excellent.

Message....

"Yes, we do carry the right flasher. We do not sell directly to the public, but I will give you a website that carries our products. It is www.hot-fit.com. Please let me know if you need any further assistance. Have a good day and God Bless."

On edit....

hot-fit site does not seem to exist.... Must of went out of business.

Get a reseller from the Jam Strait site.

[ 11-28-2002: Message edited by: hoot ]</p>

Maverick
11-28-2002, 15:24
I swapped out all the brake, turn, and tails with LED's (Truck light)also. Did all the trailers too. I too (thanks to Hoot) an using the Jam Strait flasher. Flashed way to fast before...just right now.