PDA

View Full Version : New Truck Question

nickm3
06-13-2003, 10:49
I'm new the proud owner of 2003 GMC K3500 D/A CC, have had the truck only a few days, love it so far. It's a lot more truck than the '95 K2500 6.5 td ext cab short bed I trade-in but I'll just have to get used to it. :D

Trying to get it set up for towing and was told by someone at work that it should have come with a pigtail for the brake controller... is this true? Looks to me like the pigtail you buy from Tekonsha will plug right into the fuse panel under the dash, can't find any pigtail or connector tied up under the dash anywhere.

Any help would be appreciated. :D

AlanL
06-13-2003, 14:17
They used to include these on the 2500HD, but apparently they stopped because most people weren't using them. Supposedly, they took the $25 (or whatever the part costs) off the price of the truck in the process, but I *highly* doubt that!

Anyway, if your truck didn't come with one in the glove box, your dealer should have it available.

I can almost buy the deal about the wire not being used by enough people in the 2500s, but in a 3500? Why else do you buy a dooley than to tow!?!

-Al

DieselDixon
06-13-2003, 14:50
They stopped supplying the cable with the truck but you can get one from the dealer for about $45, or you can go the route I did and buy it with the controller. I put a Prodigy in my 03' and bought the cable from the same place, I think it was an extra $8 and it plugged right in. Very high quality too, could not tell that is wasn't OEM.

nickm3
06-13-2003, 20:13
Thanks, I went ahead and bought the $10.00 connector setup from an RV store, it's a nice piece, plugs right in to the prodigy and into the fuse panel... almost too easy.

56Nomad
06-13-2003, 20:18
nickm3,

The longer you drive your truck..... the more
you'll love it :D

Next thing thing you need to do is add a
secondary fuel filter :D :D :D

tophog
06-13-2003, 22:49
Originally posted by 56Nomad:
nickm3,

Next thing thing you need to do is add a
secondary fuel filter :D :D :D Nomad56, I've been in the background reading all the fuel filter posts for the last month. It appears the Racor is the way I want to go, at least it sounds like it doesn't have air issues?

Do you know if anyone has put together a shopping list of parts needed to do the install and perhaps some directions? I've been waiting for a plug/play install and this appears to be the closest setup thus far?

56Nomad
06-13-2003, 23:14
nickm3,

Hoot and I have installed ours similarly and have absolutely no air problems. I don't know
how many others have done it as ours.

My install photos are in my signature and the same goes for Hoot. Here are the parts
you need.

$25.41 Parker Hose (8 ft)
$82.38 Filter head w/ R60 filter
$2.83 (4) Worm Gear Clamps
$2.72 (2) Barbed Brass Fittings
$3.95 (1) Brass petcock
$5.00 Bolts and angle iron bracket

jbplock
06-14-2003, 06:53
Oh No!!! :eek: The Filter virus is attacking other forums now !!! :rolleyes:

MY MegaFilter Filter is Still BETTER than your RACOR "Gas-Passer" !!! tongue.gif

[ 06-14-2003, 06:58 AM: Message edited by: jbplock ]

Turbo Al
06-16-2003, 12:33
Fuel filter DELETE, tongue.gif fuel filter DELETE :eek: fuel filter DELETE :mad: hellllllllllllllpppppp the virus is taking over the whole Forum. :rolleyes:

Please leave it on the "other" forum they need the posts ;)

Jack's Dmax
06-24-2003, 22:12
NICKM3,
The next thing that you will need to take care of is add a 30 amp fuse (plug-in) to get 12-V to your trailer plug. Use the search feature to check for further details. I can't imagine why GM did't include this fuse since it plugs in to the OEM fuse box.

I had to do this for my 2003 2500HD so I would guess that you will have to do the same.

Enjoy your new truck,

Jack