PDA

View Full Version : 03' Power Towing Mirrors

Stage 1
11-28-2002, 05:52
Just used the 03' power towing mirrors while towing 102" wide box trailer w/total length of 34'. I was very happy with them and had no problems in traffic. The turn signal in the mirrors is a great safety feature, believe it allows other vehicles additional ability to know when you are turning.
My comparision is to towing w/99'Chevy that had slide on extensions. You can not always see the whole side of trailer, but w/ slight turning of truck you can. Will likely add a small spot mirror to improve vision a little. Absolutely no vibration! Yes, I would buy them again and suggest consideration of them for towing.

conradv
11-28-2002, 20:05
I too like my mirrors - it's amazing how fast little cars that are on my rear bumper in the next lane get out of my way when I'm changing lanes on the freeway with that flashing light in the mirror....... ;)

DonG
11-28-2002, 20:29
Stage 1,
Thanks for the good report on the towing mirrors. My new 2003 3500 came with the towing mirrors even though I had tried to cancel them. I am still getting the truck set up for 5th wheel towing, so I have not had any experience with the new mirrors while towing.
Your comments are very encouraging, indicating I may not need to do anything major to obtain a good rear view afterall. Good info on lack of vibration also. Mine do not vibrate either, but the proof is not evident until you have to depend on the mirrors while towing.
Don
:D

imported_
11-29-2002, 00:47
I've towed about 500 miles with mine and like them a lot. No vibration and good visibility towing a Sunnybrook 26' TT. Got used to them being extended and after unhooking forgot for a day or so to move them back in.

Rebel_Horseman
11-29-2002, 08:15
Glad to hear the new mirrors are good. I have the "old" towing mirrors and they leave a lot to be desired. I'm considering swapping them out in the future.

Reb [><]

Runaway
11-30-2002, 07:31
I on the other hand am disappointed in the tow mirrors. Reason being is that they have NO spot mirror built into them. Any after market stick-on mirror will cover the signal light in the mirror. I like my spot mirror on the out board side of the mirrors. But they do work great for seeing around things.

westies
11-30-2002, 07:42
Power Vision Mirrors make a nice looking convex spot mirror for these units. They snap on the outside housing and look like they are actually part of the main mirror. smile.gif

Stage 1
11-30-2002, 16:51
Westies,
Thanks for this information, have you tried the Power Vision Auxiliary Mirror - convexed? I plan to add them to mine.

JHoff
12-01-2002, 00:42
I had to have one mirror replaced, when delivered the mirror was scratched as though someone wiped it with a scotch brite pad. It was really noticable at night. Dealer tried to clean the other one and it scratched also. Must be some very sensitive glass be careful when cleaning them, otherwise very good.

Jelisfc
12-02-2002, 16:08
I too have a 102" wide trailer with the '03 mirrors. I am suprised that I can see down the left side completely but the right side is just a little short. I have to lean back a little to see. I attribute this to having a manual trans. In my old truck with an auto I always had the seat way back but with a clutch I like to sit closer.

Bobcat698
12-03-2002, 20:56
I, Too have been pretty happy with the new towing mirrors!
They are years ahead of the slide out "camper" mirrors that were on my 2000 6.0L gasser.
So is the engine in this new rig ;)
I towed a 38 foot horse trailer with living quarters that is 102" wide to Colorado & back.

A couple of times switching lanes some dinky little car tries to sneak beside you when you, they sure go back quickly when they see that mirror turn-signal!

I put 2 large blind spot mirrors to the top corner (the one closest to the the truck) of the mirrors & that basically eliminated any blind spots.

Very nice!

Garrett

Diesel Freak
12-03-2002, 21:35
I just ordered a set of the clip on spot mirrors from power vision, I'll report back on them when they come in.

Jerry