PDA

View Full Version : Rear Seal Leak

FirstDiesel
06-13-2003, 19:12
Looks like the DS rear axle seal is leaking. I can smell the lube and the inside of the wheel looks dark to me. Didn't get under the truck yet to be sure but I'm betting it's gone.

18.5k and the seal is leaking?? :eek:

I'm pretty sure I'm not the first one, so anyone have any tips about this??? Something to "suggest" to the dealer to help get it done right the first time?? Anyone out there with a repeat leaker?

SPICER
06-15-2003, 06:36
Mine was leaking at 8000 miles. I noticed it while rotating my tires for the first time. Under warranty, they replaced the seal, refilled the diff., and they replaced the brake pads(drivers side rear) because they were contaminated with lube. SPICER

GMC D-Max
06-15-2003, 23:18
Just had mine replaced, driver's side, 15k mi.
Parking brake was soaked.

jbplock
06-16-2003, 04:22
Did anyone who had the leaking seal change their fluid before the leak or was it leaking with the factory fill (grape juice)?

FirstDiesel
06-16-2003, 04:43
Mine was changed at 1000 miles to AMSOIL. Really don't think that's the problem. If it is Chevy needs better seals.

GMC D-Max
06-16-2003, 12:14
Originally posted by jbplock:
Did anyone who had the leaking seal change their fluid before the leak or was it leaking with the factory fill (grape juice)? I, also, changed mine at 1000 mi. to Amsoil 75w90.
The fluid used shouldn't be a contributing factor.

FirstDiesel
06-18-2003, 04:36
I LOVE dealers!!! Made an appointment to have the truck fixed. Told them the problem. They were supposed to have EVERYTHING they needed to fix the truck.

Calls me 7 hours later, just before pickup time to tell me they can't finish the job because they need new shoes for the parking brake. You think a dealer of this size MIGHT think that a leaking rear seal could need a replacement set of shoes. You think they might actually normally have a set?? Or at least ordered a set ahead of time. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Now I have to make specail arrangements again to just pick the thing up. Yesterday, if it was ready like they promised, I would have had an easy time to get it picked up.

This is why I hate dealers, this is not service.

GMC D-Max
06-18-2003, 07:13
You should be used to it by now!

FirstDiesel
06-18-2003, 17:38
It's better

Picked up the truck tonight. They made a big deal about me giving them a good rating when I get my survey card. Even bribed me with "you'll get a free oil change for a perfect rating survey".

Well the truth is they won't get it. It wasn't the parking brake shoes they didn't have in stock. It was regular brake pads, isn't that sad???

But here's the best part, I look under the truck and what do I see?? They didn't bother cleaning the grease off the wheel. Hmmm, let's see, this is a dooly so when I rotate tires that nice grease covered wheel will be on the outside!!!

Nice customer service, huh???

GMC D-Max
06-19-2003, 07:12
The stealer I deal with has to bribe me to not fill out the surveys! ;)

chevmeister
06-19-2003, 20:38
I had the service manager call me one day and ask me why I gave him a bad reference. Hes a service writer now. I guess I wanst the only one.