PDA

View Full Version : Flywheel, clutch, pressure plate and slave cylinde/throwout bearing didn't fix it...

srubrn
06-14-2003, 21:22
Still got a hard clutch, pulled a ski boat today for about 200 miles. I still got the hard pedal after all those parts were replaced. But guess what did not get replaced and this is all I took it in for. The clutch master cylinder fluid, they just added DOT 3 on top of DOT 4 fluid after changing the slave sylinder.

I am willing to bet after I change the fluid, it works right for a little while. I am betting that the fluid will have to be changed every 3 to 4 months.

I will elt you all know.

Big O
06-15-2003, 00:16
What about the squeeck, is it gone?

srubrn
06-15-2003, 07:58
No, still got the squeak.

1BADDMAX
06-15-2003, 09:18
I had my clutch pedal and slave cylinder assembly replaced last year. The pedal still squeaks. I think there is an engineer that needs to be hung up by his balls! Everyone that gets in my truck comments me on it. It goes away when cold outside. Knock on wood, no flywheel problems yet.

jared
06-15-2003, 13:56
I'm finally letting them going to work on mine this week. Hopefully they will put new every thing in there. My clutch is starting to slip where it isn't holding it tight enough on the presure plate. I figured it was time before somebody had to come get me off the side of the road. How long did it take them to change every thing?

srubrn
06-15-2003, 19:37
I took it in on wed and they decided to order the flywheel too and it camin the next day at 3:00 and I picked it up on Friday morning. They gave me a tahoe to drive while fixing it.

DieselsRule
07-06-2003, 21:06
Just curious, how many times has your truck been in for this? What is your VIN. Mine has had the change of fluid, heat tape on the clutch line, new pressure plate, new slave, new master and a special tranny cooler installed. the same hard clutch BS.

DieselsRule
07-06-2003, 21:08
Just curious, how many times has your truck been in for this? What is your VIN. Mine has had the change of fluid, heat tape on the clutch line, new pressure plate, new slave, new master and a special tranny cooler installed. the same hard clutch BS.

srubrn
07-06-2003, 21:09
I just took in it once. VIN is inaccessable right now, not in it. I ordered it and received it Dec 16 2001.

Jelisfc
07-07-2003, 07:37
I'm baffeled by this hard clutch. I bought my truck last fall and I experienced the hard clutch a couple times during the winter. I figured during the summer the problem would occur more often which it hasn't in day to day driving. On a trip last week to Des Moines I drove at least three hours straight both ways in 85-90 degree heat. The clutch was definatley stiffer than "normal" but nothing near last winter. I haven't touched the clutch. Right now I'll let well enough alone.

While we're on the subject my trans does howl a bit as I slow down from long drives. I'm chalking this up to higher lube temps but does anyone else experience this?

DieselsRule
07-07-2003, 20:11
Your not the only one baffled. GM can't seem to get a grip on it. They said that the tranny cooler fixed everyone but mine. Mines been in 5 times for this issue and I'm tired of it. Other than that no major complaints. Excellent power and mileage. 21-23mpg on summer fuel, 18-19 on winter. I have driven sticks most of my life and never had an issue like this before. Never got the tranny whine though.

CPMac632
07-07-2003, 22:11
I've been trying to figure out what is causing this also. My truck only does it when I slip the stock clutch. I can roll on the throttle in high gear and as soon as the clutch would slip the pedal would be hard as a rock. After depressing it ,even just once, it would feel normal again. Now I have a billet flywheel and a dual disc pulling clutch in the truck and I can purposely slip it as long as I want to and I cannot make the pedal any harder than it is with the heavy clutch. The pulling clutches are made to slip yet they still produce extreme heat when they do. My pressure plate has a heat shield on it and it may help keep the heat from getting to the hydraulic throw out bearing.

Jelisfc
07-09-2003, 07:28
Dieselsrule, what info do you have on the trans cooler? If the hard pedal is heat related you'd think a cooler couldn't hurt.

srubrn
07-09-2003, 07:44
I really feel the issue is in the clutch fluid itself getting hot and expanding. When I getthe time I am going to change my fluid with a vacuum pump and put in some DOT 5 if I can find it.

When I do it I will let ya'll know. If any of you guys get a chance try it an let me know. I don't know when I will get a chance maybe next oil change.

Jelisfc
07-09-2003, 09:02
srubrn, how do you replace the fluid? you mentioned a vacuum pump and I don't see anyway of bleeding it under the truck.

srubrn
07-09-2003, 21:24
At the clutch master cylinder there is nipple on the side just like on a brake rotor or brake cyclinder. You can suck it out there with a brake vacuum bleeder. Use DOT 5.1 not DOT 5. I am going to do just this when I get the time and see if it fixes it.

MaxACL
07-12-2003, 15:25
Hea Todd,

Was your work done under warranty?

Also, I drove thru Maridan Tuesday but my hair was on fire and couldn't stop. You at the airport or the Navy Base?

Mike

srubrn
07-13-2003, 14:42
Mike,

All under warrenty, no cost to me.

Navy Base.

HotShot
07-16-2003, 20:35
CPMac632,

Tell me more about this clutch. Details. Any pictures?

Of course I see this the day after I replace mine. :(